February 2014 Moms
Options

The things I find on YouTube

becausemombecausemom member
edited October 2013 in February 2014 Moms
Geez...

ETA: My only thought while watching this is that I truly hope she found a way to afford the formula she needs. I have no idea if she was able to breast feed or not, but I am so happy that poor baby got help before it was too late.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Because Daryl+Puppy =ALL the feels

Re: The things I find on YouTube

• Options
    OMG.  How did you even stumble across that?  I watched that one, but all the horror stories on the right side of the page from that link...that's like the worst of the worst.

I'm glad her baby is ok; maybe the hospital can help her find a program she'll qualify for to get some help with the formula.  Water intoxication can happen to adults, & it takes a much smaller amount to injure a baby.  I knew about the water issue, but I wonder how many other mom's don't.  Worrisome.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Kedra231 said:

OMG.  How did you even stumble across that?  I watched that one, but all the horror stories on the right side of the page from that link...that's like the worst of the worst.

I'm glad her baby is ok; maybe the hospital can help her find a program she'll qualify for to get some help with the formula.  Water intoxication can happen to adults, & it takes a much smaller amount to injure a baby.  I knew about the water issue, but I wonder how many other mom's don't.  Worrisome.

I found it when I was watching a pregnancy vlog. Those suggested videos on the side are heart breaking. I couldn't even if I tried.

I'm not sure what happened in that case, but it made me worry too. I can imagine a mom, not realizing what she is doing, accidentally poisoning her baby this way. Do formula containers say anything about this? I'm sure they do, but I never noticed.

• Options
    Kedra231Kedra231 member
    edited October 2013
    I found it when I was watching a pregnancy vlog. Those suggested videos on the side are heart breaking. I couldn't even if I tried. I'm not sure what happened in that case, but it made me worry too. I can imagine a mom, not realizing what she is doing, accidentally poisoning her baby this way. Do formula containers say anything about this? I'm sure they do, but I never noticed.
    Actually, I've never seen one with a WARNING posted on it about water per formula, no.  I have read like fliers about how the formula is set at that amount b/c it's the amount of calories/nutrients your baby needs, & it does say "Do NOT dilute formula" on the can, but it doesn't tell mom's WHY that I personally remember, &, I'm just guessing, but if you're that tight on money & can't qualify for any assistance programs...well, if they don't give you a dang good reason why not to, then I can see a mom stretching it & not being aware of the dangers.

I do know two mom's who wanted to stretch their formula a bit, one used a bit of regular powdered milk, & the other used jug milk.  Powdered & regular have calories, added vitamins, etc., so I'm guessing that's why their kids were fine...they were getting extra/what they needed from the other kind of milk, where you wouldn't with water.

ed. to remove extra word
  • Options
    Kedra231 said:

I found it when I was watching a pregnancy vlog. Those suggested videos on the side are heart breaking. I couldn't even if I tried.

I'm not sure what happened in that case, but it made me worry too. I can imagine a mom, not realizing what she is doing, accidentally poisoning her baby this way. Do formula containers say anything about this? I'm sure they do, but I never noticed.

Actually, I've never seen one with a WARNING posted on it about water per formula, no.  I have read like fliers about how the formula is set at that amount b/c it's the amount of calories/nutrients your baby needs, & it does say "Do NOT dilute formula" on the can, but it doesn't tell mom's WHY that I personally remember, &, I'm just guessing, but if you're that tight on money & can't qualify for any assistance programs...well, if they don't give you a dang good reason why not to, then I can see a mom stretching it & not being aware of the dangers.

I do know two mom's who wanted to stretch their formula a bit, one used a bit of regular powdered milk, & the other used jug milk.  Powdered & regular have calories, added vitamins, etc., so I'm guessing that's why their kids were fine...they were getting extra/what they needed from the other kind of milk, where you wouldn't with water.

ed. to remove extra word

Hmm...it's worth looking into out of curiosity. I will be researching.

• Options
    That's sad but holy crap those suggested videos are a whole other level of nope.
  • Options
    That's sad but holy crap those suggested videos are a whole other level of nope.
    I glanced over, noticed a few and quickly closed my window. NOPE

• Options
    Avswolf said:
    I just read the headlines of the other stories and my heart broke for each and every one.....
    The suggested videos change for every user. Did you ladies get videos about moms harming their kids? Those were the ones I got. I tear up just thinking of that. A mom hurting their child is beyond unimaginable. 

• Options
    Yeah, the ones I got were beyond psycho bad for mom's harming their kids in horrific ways.  There's not enough crazy in the world to explain some of those videos...or why they were put on youtube to share with the world.  

Stick to the giggling babies videos...or even the La Leche League vids if you're planning on breastfeeding or trying it.  Or even vids on how to swaddle...something nice & not so "world is going to Hell in a hand basket" as that selection clearly was.
  • Options
    Kedra231 said:
    Yeah, the ones I got were beyond psycho bad for mom's harming their kids in horrific ways.  There's not enough crazy in the world to explain some of those videos...or why they were put on youtube to share with the world.  

Stick to the giggling babies videos...or even the La Leche League vids if you're planning on breastfeeding or trying it.  Or even vids on how to swaddle...something nice & not so "world is going to Hell in a hand basket" as that selection clearly was.
    Yeah, I had no idea that a video about a mom accidentally giving her baby too much water would link to the douchehat mother section of YouTube. I'll be more careful next time. ;)

• Options
    Avswolf said:
    Yeh....man kills baby for acting too girly, mom kills and eats 3 1/2 week old baby.....I just couldnt
    0.o I missed those. WTF

• Options
    If you missed those, then yeah...you got a diff. page, b/c I saw the same topics as Avswolf, & I immediately closed the page after your link stopped playing.  There's too many bad things on there for words.  I know some would argue that it's news, but...that's a whole bunch of things I really don't think need to be shared...unless, maybe, they're showing the corporal punishment of the crazies who hurt those babies/children...
  • Options
    Kedra231 said:
    If you missed those, then yeah...you got a diff. page, b/c I saw the same topics as Avswolf, & I immediately closed the page after your link stopped playing.  There's too many bad things on there for words.  I know some would argue that it's news, but...that's a whole bunch of things I really don't think need to be shared...unless, maybe, they're showing the corporal punishment of the crazies who hurt those babies/children...
    It's too sad for words. I get stabby just thinking about it. I'm sorry y'all had to see the titles you did. Those suggested videos were not on my list. That is just terrible. It disgusts me.

• Options
    Ugh @Avswolf I wish you hadn't posted the titles of those videos here. Absolutely horrible, makes me sick.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    iwubrory said:

Ugh @Avswolf I wish you hadn't posted the titles of those videos here. Absolutely horrible, makes me sick.

I wish I hadn't linked at all. I had no idea. Gross.

• Options
    Kinda makes you realize, moms who put their babies to sleep on their stomachs, not so bad huh? I just can't fathom the horrible things happening to kids every day. It's sick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Kinda makes you realize, moms who put their babies to sleep on their stomachs, not so bad huh? I just can't fathom the horrible things happening to kids every day. It's sick.

This.

• Options
    Yeah,  it's beyond horrifying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    I don't like this thread, and I am NOT opening that link. :(

imageimage
  • Options
    izzysmamavtizzysmamavt member
    edited February 2014
    Edit for spam
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards