January 2013 Moms
Options

probiotics/annoyed/vent

I posted not that long ago asking about babies having gas pains at night. I've been thinking DD may be lactose intolerant, i've tried watching what I eat (still nursing) and feeding her simple purees and chicken/beef with little seasoning. Her tummy seems to be a little better at night but still waking with pains and trying to pass gas. DD had her 1yr check up today, I asked her doctor about doing allergy testing he said no he wants her to try a probiotic. He asked if I was on antibiotics while pregnant, I wasn't, but I guess that can mess with the bacteria in the stomach and cause gas. Has anyones baby taken probiotics? Then he said it could be the beans, broccoli etc I'm feeding her. I said I don't feed her those things because I don't want her to have more gas. So then he said it's what i'm eating, I don't  eat one thing he listed for fear of causing more gas. So he said maybe she's swallowing too much air...Then he asked if she's waving bye, walking, checked her ears and mouth said she's healthy see you at 15months and walked out.  I'm annoyed, I was expecting more. He didn't talk to me about introducing cows milk and how much she should be drinking.  When the nurse came in to give DD shots I asked about milk, she said I can't believe he didn't talk to you about that. Just try mixing some cows milk with breast milk and if she has issues call us. I feel blown off, like my concerns didn't matter. Or is this how everyones 1yr check up went and i'm being a crazy 1st time mom?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: probiotics/annoyed/vent

• Options
    i'll go check your post! Thank God we are moving in April, DH got a transfer so we're moving a little closer to home. We'll only be 2 1/2 hrs away from family instead of 5hrs. I can't wait and it means a new pediatrician. I forgot to write that I have let her try yogurt and it caused a horrible rash. The dr also asked if i've tried gas medicines. Of course I have, I told him i've tried them all. What does he write down on a piece of paper to buy for her? the name of the gas medicine I told him i'm giving her now! 
  • Options
    Grrrrr. Our old pedi was like that and that's why we switched, so good you'll be getting a new one soon! As for the probiotics, Millie takes them for her eczema and it seems to help that. I found them cheapest at Wal-mart (Culturelle for kids). I didn't notice a difference in her poop but we weren't having any problems. It wouldn't hurt to try!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh.. I hear you. I feel like i was completely blown off on the milk issue too. I told her flat out that he has trouble with dairy and that i thought he was lactose intolerance, and she tells me that children that young CAN'T be lactose intolerant. That it doesn't happen until you get older.. *eyeroll*. My son also wakes up with horrible gas in the middle of the night that makes him scream so hard that he's made himself sick before, and it constipates him to the point of causing tares around his bum. But no.. No issue with dairy. He is also allergic to soy. So.. I am at a loss and my pedi won't help. No advice, other then to start looking for a new one. ((hugs)) for you and the littles.

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• Options
    How annoying! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. There's a few doctors that I like at my pedi office and a few I could do without. I am glad that you are moving and hopefully finding a better doc.

As for probiotics I still need to do my research on those but I really want to try one with DD. A friend of mine (who actually has a LO the same age and used to post here...but I haven't seen her on in a while) uses them and likes it, I'll have to get the brand. I asked my sister (who is a pedi) about them and she said there was "no concluding research on probiotics effectiveness" but she is very by the book modern medicine so I don't really take her advice :p

I can't believe he blew off the milk issue. I asked my doc a lot of questions about that (though he didn't bring it up, but he did answer all my questions). Especially since you have evidence of reactions based around milk consumption. I hope you get an answer soon, I'm frustrated for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh.. I hear you. I feel like i was completely blown off on the milk issue too. I told her flat out that he has trouble with dairy and that i thought he was lactose intolerance, and she tells me that children that young CAN'T be lactose intolerant. That it doesn't happen until you get older.. *eyeroll*. My son also wakes up with horrible gas in the middle of the night that makes him scream so hard that he's made himself sick before, and it constipates him to the point of causing tares around his bum. But no.. No issue with dairy. He is also allergic to soy. So.. I am at a loss and my pedi won't help. No advice, other then to start looking for a new one. ((hugs)) for you and the littles.
    poor guy :( sucks, I don't see how it's normal for them to have these stomach/gas pains. So what are you doing? Did you just cut out dairy on your own and try something else?
  • Options
    I glad you're moving closer to home soon!
    Me too!!! I can't wait, even though moving and packing sucks :p
  • Options
    loreeann86loreeann86 member
    edited February 2014
    @martha919 @michieU79 @arichison08 I bought the probiotics her pedi wrote down, i'm willing to give anything a try. It's called Baby's Jarro-Dophilus, $16 powder. It does seem like something strange to give them...I've been looking probiotics up online and can't find much saying that it actually works :/   but we'll see how it goes, fingers crossed. Going to try a little cow's milk in the morning   [-O<  i'm a worry wart when it comes to her tummy and what's going to affect it.  
  • Options

poor guy :( sucks, I don't see how it's normal for them to have these stomach/gas pains. So what are you doing? Did you just cut out dairy on your own and try something else?
    I am making another doctor appointment, with a different doctor. I want to try coconut and almond milk with him, but it won't have the same nutrients so i need to know what else he will need to round out his calorie, vitamin, and mineral consumption. I just wish she had taken me seriously. Her only advice was to try 2%.. for a child who has trouble gaining weight.. Ugh.

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• Options
    There are some recent studies out related to the benefits of probiotics for infants.  Here's one - only tangentially related because it involves newborns with colic, but some of the general principals may be of interest to you.  I'd be really annoyed with your ped.  I'm annoyed with mine for similar reasons.

• Options
    My son and I were on probiotics for a long time due to thrush when he was about 5 weeks old.  Due to his age, we did a liquid that I would drop on my finger, and he would suck it off (I think it was about $30 for a two week supply).  

Now that he's older, I make sure he gets some sort of fermented food each day such as sauerkraut, kimchi, kumbucha gelatin (which I can "fruit snacks"), kefir, pickles, yogurt (DS does just fine with dairy).  I always try to find whole food sources before I resort to supplements (don't get me wrong, sometimes you just have to supplement), and fermented foods have a much wider range of probiotics than what you can get in powder or pill form to keep that gut healthy.  As a bonus, my son is getting a huge variety of vegetables and he loves to make his sour face because we always laugh.

And I totally side-eye your Dr.  The nurses reaction tells me that the Dr. probably doesn't treat his staff the greatest as well.  Ain't nobody got time for that!
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options
    MichieU79 said:
    @loreeann86 Good luck! Just take it slow if you're worried about her belly. Unless your supply is slowing, there is no need to rush...try an ounce, then in a few days 2 and so on. It took us 3 weeks to switch over....longer than I thought. But, he just needed the time to adjust. Some babies do, some babies don't. :)
    Thank you for the advice, I needed to hear that...my supply is just fine so i'm going to take it slow with the milk. We did try a little milk this morning in her straw cup, I was surprised she seemed to like it. She didn't drink a lot, but she didn't throw her cup down or spit it out. So i'm just going to offer a little in the mornings, with probiotics for now and see how it goes. I am getting a lot of crap from family for not already having her fully on cows milk and for breastfeeding still  >:P
  • Options
    There are some recent studies out related to the benefits of probiotics for infants.  Here's one - only tangentially related because it involves newborns with colic, but some of the general principals may be of interest to you.  I'd be really annoyed with your ped.  I'm annoyed with mine for similar reasons.

Thanks for sharing the link. I did read somewhere about it helping with colic, wish I had known about it when she was little! 
  • Options
    @ashleydehaven I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with his pedi and hope you get help/answers soon. I read online while looking up probiotics that babies can have a milk sensitivity and they usually outgrow it by like 2-3yrs old. So weird that his Pedi said that, DD's pedi didn't say one way or another. Just skipped over it. Keep me posted after the next appt :)  

@bennikki thank you for the info, that's helpful. I would also rather her get it from food than her taking a supplement. I'm bad, but I said I feel like i'm trying to give a dog medicine. Mixing the powder into DD's food. I just really dislike all the drs, nurses and hospital here. Beyond excited to move. 
  • Options
    @loreeann86 how did the WCM go? Clara doesn't have tummy issues with it but she flat out hates it. I've tried it in a straw cup, bottle, mixed with coconut milk and no luck. I'm lucky to get about two sips, even when mixed with BM. I'm not in a big hurry to wean but would like to have her mainly switched by 18 months. I just bought some vanilla almond milk to try because I've heard it's sweeter and more like BM. Just wondering how Carmella did since she's been EBF this whole time too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @arichison08 That stinks, hope you find something that works. And me too, I would like to be weaned by 18months. She seemed to like it, she drank it like it was water. I only gave her a little in her straw cup yesterday morning. I don't see her being able to drink a whole lot of it in a day though. I haven't given it to her again because she had some issues yesterday and last night :| 
  • Options
    Fwiw dd had horrible issues with WCM at first. She outgrew it around her 3rd birthday. We used coconut and almond milk when not nursing
    Thanks for the info. If things don't change i'm thinking that's what we'll end up doing too. Did you have her on a specific diet since she wasn't drinking WCM, for the nutrients? I'm not sure how long I need to give the probiotics, it's only been a couple days. But last night was horrible 
  • Options

Well we nursed till 23 months when together so I wasn't too worried. But I made sure she got plenty of good fats and veggies with calcium

Ok, thanks. Who knows we may end up nursing that long too
    ;)
  • Options
    I bought the probiotics her pedi wrote down, i'm willing to give anything a try. It's called Baby's Jarro-Dophilus
    We've used this since J was really young, and have been happy with it. I just mix it in with his oatmeal, or applesauce, or anything really!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sarums4 said:

I bought the probiotics her pedi wrote down, i'm willing to give anything a try. It's called Baby's Jarro-Dophilus

We've used this since J was really young, and have been happy with it. I just mix it in with his oatmeal, or applesauce, or anything really!

Glad someone else has used this one! What are you guys using it for? That's what I've been doing, just mixing it into her dinner. Was the only way I could see her getting the full dose.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"