April 2014 Moms

Second shower 19 years later?

I had my first DD at age 19 and now 19 years later having my second at age 38. My Mom and sister are throwing me a shower. I wasn't sure I should have one because this is my second child but they want to throw one because of the time between the two. Your thoughts?

Re: Second shower 19 years later?

• My SIL had a 16 year gap between. We only throw full showers for the first child but she got a full shower. You are starting over and can't just reuse everything from your last one. Have fun and enjoy it!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely have one. Not for the presents, but for the celebration.
    Married since 8/2009
    TTC # 1 since April 2012
    BFP 11/17/2012 Complete M/C 12/3/2012
    50mg Clomid
    BFP 8/12/2013 EDD 4/23/2014
  • If your mom and sister offered, I'd see no problem with it with 19 years having passed since your first.  It might not be the "correct" answer, but it wouldn't bother me to get an invite for a shower in those circumstances.  Heck, I barely know any of the same people now that I knew when I was 19...the guest lists would probably be totally different anyway if it were me.
  • Go for it!
  • I say go for it. So much time has lapsed and I'm sure it's like starting over again.
  • Have one. Even if you had gear left over from your first it's been long enough that safety regulations have probably changed. Plus it's like a whole new experience with that age gap.
  • Emily post says it's fine but you should try to invite different people, other than close friends and family. I would imagine the time gap mostly takes care of that, in your case, and anyone you've been friends with for that long won't care, anyway.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My daughter is 17 (had her at 19). My best friend is throwing me a shower for this LO. 17 years later you are def. starting over. I did not keep any baby stuff. I also don't have the same group of friends, moved away and recently got married (his family is excited to attend a shower). So it will be differ people at this shower. Personally though even if my children were closer in age I do not see the problem with subsequent showers (or a differ type if celebration) I think every baby deserves to be celebrated and honored - to me gifts are not necessary. And for this shower I am not encouraging gifts only because we already bought everything we need. I just think all babies deserve celebrating :)
  • If you're comfortable go with it! It's been 12yrs since my first/only shower. My friends wanted to throw me a shower, but I declined because I don't like being the center of attention. 

@buggasmom, it is exactly like starting over!! Ten years between my youngest and the new LO. 
    Same here! 10 year gap. I declined because I hate being in the spot light.
  • I think given the time inbetween it's fine. They offered too, so it's not you being gift grabby in my oppinion.

My cousin had her first in high school and then had a second shower at 30. The second one the men were invited to. It was dads first baby so I think it was partially for him really. But I still think its ok since so much time has passed.
  • Have fun! If someone wants to celebrate your baby enjoy it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • People usually don't have second showers because you would have kept most of the things you had for your first baby. But I imagine you do not! Accept the shower! There is nothing weird about it. I wish I was having one because I didn't keep anything from my last pregnancy nine years ago and I'm totally, shamelessly gift grabby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I definitely think enough time has lapsed that having a second shower is appropriate!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Since they offered, go ahead. Enjoy!
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• I know some people have the opinion, no showers for second babies.  Some say like a sprinkle or "Welcome, Baby" party, however in this instance, I think it'd be fine.  A coworker has a 16 year gap between her kids and had a shower. 

I tend to not go to second baby showers, unless it's a close friend or family member, but that is just me.  I literally have a friend, who had two showers and two diaper parties for each of her kids.  So, for two kids, she had 8 parties total.  Needless to say, I went to one of each.  She also had a 1/2 year birthday party for her first kid too.  It just got to be a little much.

• I think after 19 years your ok to have another shower. I wouldn't have saved baby junk for that long!
  • Luckie519 said:

I tend to not go to second baby showers, unless it's a close friend or family member, but that is just me.  I literally have a friend, who had two showers and two diaper parties for each of her kids.  So, for two kids, she had 8 parties total.  Needless to say, I went to one of each.  She also had a 1/2 year birthday party for her first kid too.  It just got to be a little much.

That's really excessive! She threw them for herself or had them thrown for her? Just curious
    image    image    image    image

• It's 19 years later I def think you should have one. I am not usually a 2nd shower person but this is one exception.
  • Great question for the baby shower board. TBH I don't have thoughts on anyone's subsequent showers because 1: I don't know you and 2: whether I had an opinion or not you'd still have a shower. Enjoy your shower
    Thanks for that flash back into high school. Eye roll.

OP: There's no reason you should turn down a 2nd shower after a 19 year lapse between children. Who in their right mind would keep baby stuff for 19 years?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In almost all circumstances people are going to ultimately do what they want to do despite what strangers on the internet say.... So therefor no one should post a WDYT type question?

Despite my "attendance" on this board, I feel pretty confident in thinking that out of all of the A14's posts regarding baby showers, not one person has had 19 years lapse between pregnancies making this post not be like all the others.

Just like the shower questions come in great waves, the am I going into labor posts, how much sleep questions, how many ounces questions, breastfeeding questions etc. will soon be here in complete redundancy. Technically there are NO questions that haven't been asked before... let's try to keep that in mind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Enjoy your shower!

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited February 2014
    @Smores730 So now I'm wondering how you got all of that, are completely right about repeat questions, and yet are still calling out the ONE person who got a bit snarky with the OP. All the other positive responses weren't enough for you, you had to call out a really cool person who, yes, was maybe a bit snarky, as we all have been at one time or another on this board? Congratulations on adding to the tiny bit of negativity on this extremely tame baby shower thread. I don't get it, and feel you're missing the forest for the trees.
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"