Preemies

Intro and Question with RSV Season (long, sorry!)

Hi Ladies,

I am active on a few boards, but figured you ladies would be a great resource for me!  I had preemie twins back in June born at 32 weeks due to PROM.  We hopped in the car after my water broke and drove 3 hours to the hospital.  We had to go to a distant hospital to deliver because the NICU closest to us did not have the resources to handle my son's known birth defects.  My son had a very rare set of birth defects (5 in a million- incomplete pentalogy of cantrell) and died within a few hours of birth.  When we got to the hospital, we realized my daughter had a prolapsed cord.  I was rushed into an emergency C-section.  My daughter was born at 3lbs 4oz and was in the NICU for 5 weeks.  She was a rockstar though!  She got surfactant shortly after birth.  Was on CPAP for a few days and on RA within a week.  She also was able to latch within a week, but took a little longer to wean from all TFs.  She spent 5 weeks in the NICU and has been doing well since we've been home.  She's hitting milestones and we continue to work with PT.  She's still not on the regular growth charts, but gaining weight well.

Whew!  That's my story!  Anyways, I really like her pediatrician but he also drives me a little crazy.  When asking him about catch-up growth, he told me she would be caught up and not considered a preemie at 6 months!  I have a background in healthcare (clinical dietitian) and knew that he was talking crazy, so I let it go.  He is VERY laid back about things and has never really given us restrictions about going out and about.  Insurance did not cover synagis so she did not receive it.  We want to protect her from RSV.  The pediatrician just advised good handwashing.  We decided to keep her out of any childcare setting (church nursery, group babysitting for bible study, etc).  I stay at home so she is not in daycare.  Does that seem normal to really have no restrictions?  He just said "stay away from snotty-nosed kids."  Also, I would really to like to take her to classes at a local "baby gym."  It is VERY clean and there would only be 4 other babies in the class.  They have a no sick policy.  Parents are with the babies the whole time, so I can keep other kids out of her face.  We have been to mom's groups with other babies.  The doctor, of course, is very laid back and just thinks it's good that we are social.  I figured you ladies might have some good input.  
2 year TTC journey with successful IVF in Nov 2012- B/G Twins!
Baby Boy diagnosed with omphalocele and diaphragmatic hernia
Born at 32 weeks due to PROM.  Emergency c-section due to prolapsed cord.
Said Goodbye to our sweet Bennett after 5 short hours.  
Spent 35 days in the NICU with our little girl.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Intro and Question with RSV Season (long, sorry!)

• Thanks!  I've looked at the RSV info. Our season ends in April.  I know a lot of people go on "lockdown" but our pediatrician pretty much the opposite.  He told us no restrictions with going out, crowds, etc.  He encouraged us to get out and be social.  I have no problem with that, but I just don't want to put her at  major risk.  It kind of annoys me that he acts like she's not a preemie! 

• I'm sorry about your loss.

We are currently keeping my son home and he had the synagis shot (he's 3 months actual but only a few weeks adjusted). I have a friend with a preemie one year old, who began going to day care in September, when he was 11 months actual (8 adj). He has been sick with cold/flu/rsv since he started going to daycare through the entire winter. Unfortunately, both parents work and they don't have anyone to watch the baby. Honestly, I would wait as long as possible before taking her out in public, especially around other kids. I would never forgive myself if my LO contracted RSV because I wanted him to socialize. It can wait a few more months. Better be safe than sorry.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry for the loss of your son.

I would avoid the baby gym until your RSV season ends. RSV can be really rough on any baby even if they weren't a preemie. I have three friends who have had their full term kiddos (ranging from 3m to 18m) hospitalized for RSV this year. It's just not worth the risk IMO. My boys are 22m actual 19.5m adjusted and we're still being super cautious this year.
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

I think it's one thing to be "social" where you keep your daughter with you in the stroller, carseat-carrier with a cover over it, or moby, so her exposure is extremely limited, but I would not be ready to do any type of childcare. I won't judge those that do, but it would be difficult for me to not worry and enjoy the activity that I'd made those arrangements for.

I've also only heard of being caught up around age 2, not 6 months. My older kids were born at various early GA's and 2 yrs is pretty accurate.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Welcome to the board. I'm so sorry for your loss. I too have had other friends full term babies contract RSV and the little ones are so pitiful. I do not want to possibly put my girls through that. They are getting synagis, but it doesn't prevent them from getting RSV.
  • I would avoid baby gym but you don't have to be completely anti social. I forget where you are, but Anna's pulmo said that anywhere outside is a-ok, even with crowds. We are in TX so right now it's snowing but will be in the 60s this weekend! Going outside keeps us sane. We are not on lockdown, we just avoid restaurants and other crowded places. I also wear her when we are out.

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Thanks ladies! We will avoid baby gym and other "baby socials" for a few more months. We pretty much go to church, small group, bible study and walking. Either my husband or I hold her. We will continue to keep her out of the provided child care for any of those activities. If we go to the grocery store or something, I do wear her and people generally keep their distance. I'm a crazy hand washer as evidenced by my super raw hands despite moisturizing :-) I sometimes fear that I am too worried and overbearing because of our loss, but you ladies make me feel better. I pray that all of our kiddos stay healthy this season!

• Agreed, I would avoid the baby gym. Atleast until flu season is over. We are also not officially on lockdown, yet we are. Our LO is 7.5 months and he's only been out in public as handful of times. It's just not worth the risk. I know it's difficult some days. I'm getting cabin fever. Come on Spring!!!!

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • PhillyGal34PhillyGal34 member
    edited February 2014
    I am so very sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers.

your pedi sounds similar to mine. Our son was born at 31w5d and 3 lbs 5 oz in June and had no breathing problems. He was in for 27 days before he came home. We did get synagis for 5 months though. Even with that we were told we could take him out but not to let people touch him and to avoid kids and sick people possible. We went to Christmas but only two other people were allowed to hold him. We limited the number of people to decrease risk. I knew grandparents wouldn't be able to not hold him at all. The covered with a blanket so germs on their clothes wouldn't touch him and washed/sanitized frequently. We did not go to the mall and were specifically told no church (old people love to touch babies :-) ) but I understand that isn't an option/choice for some people. As the rsv season ended we had no restrictions. Ds started daycare mid April at 10.5 months. Got a bunch of ear infections but I think that would've happened anyway. He's done great. He will be 20 months soon (wow) and is basically caught up with everything. Sometimes I look at him and can't believe he's my preemie!! Welcome!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"