January 2014 Moms
Options

School this STM on swaddling

ChuggingWaterChuggingWater member
edited February 2014 in January 2014 Moms
DS1 didnt like it,

Hoyt loves it,

@Wilburbud I think you have swaddlemes, right?  

What is the difference between those and halo sleep sacks (this is what we have)? If you (general you) have both, which do you prefer?

I thought you were supposed to quit swaddling when they could roll over, right?  Why are swaddlers sold in bigger sizes for 4-6 month olds?  (Other than the obvious big for age babies)

These questions brought to you by needing to order something else on amazon to qualify for free shipping.

Correction/clarification: We have the halo  swaddle sack.
imageimage
Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
induction due to HELLP

Re: School this STM on swaddling

• Options
    I had swaddlemes for DD1 and DS. They were both able to escape from those. The hospital where DD2 was born provided us with halo swaddle sacks. She is unable to escape from those, so by default I guess I prefer the Halos.

• Options
    I looooove our SwaddleMes. It's nice to see how secure they can be, but some kids can get out of swaddles well. My kids can't. With DD we bought the bigger size swaddle because she still wanted/needed it and had outgrown the regular size. Of course she didn't roll until 5.5 months, so that issue did not apply to us.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Brennon HATES the swaddlemes. But I got a Halo sleep sack, and he's down with it. He needs to have his hands available to touch his face. I figure that if it comforts him, it's ok with me. I'm saving my swaddlemes for the next kid, though -- just in case. Because I can see that they would be very handy for babies who like to be all tucked in.
  • Options
    Clarified in OP but we use the halo swaddle sack.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• Options
    I think it depends on the baby. DD1 liked the swaddlemes better, but DD2 seems to like the halo swaddle sack. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Julia can get her arms out of every swaddle. She likes to sleep with her hands by her head so we only use the Halo swaddle sacks when she's extra fussy just to calm her down. I definitely prefer Halo swaddle sacks over the Swaddle me. The reason is that you can easily do a MOTN diaper change without undoing the whole Halo since it zips from the bottom. The Swaddle me requires you to undo the whole thing.
  • Options
    We have a Miracle Blanket, but I can't for the life of me figure it out, despite Professor Google, and have just come to prefer to use regular blankets for swaddling. Anyone have experience with the Miracle Blanket that they can share?
    Ashley, FTM, Age 31, Southern California
    Jude Meyer was born January 12, 2014, at 21 inches, 7lb, 8oz.

image imageimage
  • Options
    @peanutmuse We are able to use the swaddleme while keeping his arms out. He likes them out too. Just wrap and fasten across his belly and under his arms. This way you can still use what you bought.
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

• Options
    @LabPupLuv, he wiggles so much while he's sleeping, the shoulder straps help keep it in place. But I could try it for a nap maybe to see if it works.
  • Options
    We love Halo fleece swaddle sacks. LO loves tight arms and doesn't mind loose legs. You can get real tight with the Velcro. What I call "ratcheting" the baby in. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MindyBadger1MindyBadger1 member
    edited February 2014
    I've tried everything. My favorite methods are the Woombie (just a zipper, lightweight, fool-proof), but more often than not I just use an A&A muslin blanket. I've become a stud at swaddling, J hasn't broken out in over 2 weeks.

The halo sleep-sack swaddle just seemed too heavy (but I only have fleece ones) and I feel like the velcro startled J more awake/conscious that he needed to be at night to get on the boob.

Haven't tried swaddlemes since the first couple of weeks...hmm.

ETA- I think all babies have a love/hate relationship with swaddling. I try to make sure J is dozing/calm before I swaddle him. If he's awake he acts like I'm taking away his rights as a human, but eventually gives it up.

My cat can read EKGs, can your human do that?
    ♥BFP#1 12-23-12, M/C 12-31-12 at 5w4d♥
    ♥BFP#2 05-09-13, EDD 01-15-14. C/S 12-23-13 at 36w5d for complete previa. Healthy baby boy♥

• Options
    imagehttps://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Woombie-Swaddle-Blanket/dp/B003OQTPF8/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1391790392&sr=1-1&keywords=woombie

Expensive, but impossible to escape and impossible to mess up. 2 way zipper, so if you hear a shart after he's snoozing you can just open the bottom and leave the arms swaddled!

My cat can read EKGs, can your human do that?
    ♥BFP#1 12-23-12, M/C 12-31-12 at 5w4d♥
    ♥BFP#2 05-09-13, EDD 01-15-14. C/S 12-23-13 at 36w5d for complete previa. Healthy baby boy♥

• Options
    We currently use swaddlemes. Once my older kids got strong enough to bust out of those then we switched to the miracle blanket. Tough to bust out of that sucker. All my kids have loved being swaddled until they started rolling.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options
    @MindyBadger1 I could have written your ETA about L. She gets an extremely pissed off face and starts crying if she's not half asleep or milk drunk when I swaddle her. The part about taking away human rights made me laugh.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    A tip I learnt at Baby Steps class on Tuesday was to put swaddle in dryer before putting on baby!
  • Options
    We use the fleece halo swaddle sacks. They work great and I will continue to use halo sleep sacks after DD is done being swaddled. With our first, she was in a sleep sack until about 2.
    July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"