Parenting
Options

NPR: SUV/Crossover Recommendations

My relationship situation has changed and now I'm having to adjust my finances.  I am wanting to sell my Tahoe.  It is awesome, all the bells and whistles.  However, the payment, insurance and ungodly price to fill it up every 5 days is not going to work for me anymore.  I was thinking about getting a smaller SUV or Crossover since I will have #2 come July.  I need something that is great on gas mileage and roomy enough for carseats and all that extra crap that kids come along with.  I might even consider a sedan if it looks good. Anyone???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NPR: SUV/Crossover Recommendations

• Options
    to keep it simple if you want something reliable, get a Honda or Toyota.   I think Kia has a 10 year 100k warranty..... they have some good new stuff.
        anything other than that, you're going to have to worry about - especially any Chrysler product - so Dodge, Jeep, Ram etc
  • Options
    pobrecita said:
    Also I know you've been going through some stuff. I hope everything is ok.

Yep, doing better.  We moved out and are in the process of trying to find a rental (since I'm still stuck on the mortgage).  Thanks!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    you might look at the Jetta Sportwagen - get it with the TDI and you'll get 40 - 45 mpg on the freeway.... and tons of space.
  • Options
    I have nothing to add but we are trying to buy an SUV too. DH will only buy American so that is limiting us.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    EVA116 said:
    I have nothing to add but we are trying to buy an SUV too. DH will only buy American so that is limiting us.
    tons of cars that are "American" are made overseas - and tons of "foreign" cars are made right here in the US.
        You can get a Honda made by Americans from Kentucky.... or a Volkswagen made by Americans from Tennessee....
        Most cars companies are pretty global now.... and dont forget....Chrysler is owned by Fiat
  • Options
    Ratpasta said:
    EVA116 said:
    tons of cars that are "American" are made overseas - and tons of "foreign" cars are made right here in the US.
        You can get a Honda made by Americans from Kentucky.... or a Volkswagen made by Americans from Tennessee....
        Most cars companies are pretty global now.... and dont forget....Chrysler is owned by Fiat

Oh believe me, I think he is being ridiculous....why can't we just buy what we like...ugh

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    EVA116 said:
    Have you looked at the new Fords? I know they are pretty global too, but it's one of the tried and true. Their SUVs have gotten pretty nice. My SIL has a new Explorer and loves it, my MIL rented one of their Edge's and said it was pretty awesome, and my grandparents own a new Escape and love it too.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My parents, grandparents, in-laws, and brother all have Subaru Foresters or Outbacks and have nothing but positive things to say about them.

DH and I just got a Toyota Highlander, and we love it.  It gets about 18 mpg average, so it's not awesome but not awful on gas.  They also have a hybrid version, but the mpg difference didn't justify the cost, in our opinion.

• Options
    I love my CRV. The only con is that I can't get three car seats in it easily.
  • Options
    The Outbacks are so fugly though.  I would like to get 20+mpg on city.  It's just going to be a mental challenge to downgrade from what I currently have.

• Options
    bullybutt said:
    The Outbacks are so fugly though.  I would like to get 20+mpg on city.  It's just going to be a mental challenge to downgrade from what I currently have.
    The Ford Edge gets 19 city and is really pretty :). My MIL says they handle and drive great as well. I really want one, but it'll be too small for me.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    How much can you get for your Tahoe on a trade?

I'm more than likely going to sell on my own.  KellyBlueBook puts it at a little over $37K.  Trade in would probably be $34-35K. 

• Options
    No, it's not paid off and yes, the payment is a reason to cut it loose. I would prefer to stay around $18K or under and definitely nothing NEW.

• Options
    In December, I bought my first car in 9 years: a Nissan Rogue. I had a Corolla, which was awesome in gas mileage, but the Rogue isn't horrible -- I get close to 400 miles on a tank and it costs me about $45-$50 to fill up (Chicago suburbs - average $3.39/gallon). 

It's very roomy for the kiddos, I can easily fit two convertible car seats with room in the middle for a trim person to sit, and the cargo space holds my double stroller and a full load of groceries with room to spare. It has AWD, anti-lock brakes (standard) and handles VERY well in the snow/ice. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a Honda Element and I love it. The suicide doors make it easy to get to the car seat and there is no carpet and a drain so you can literally hose it out. It handles great on icy roads. Screw aerodynamics!

so many different types of sparrows 30 rock         

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"