Parenting

Seeking Help-Anxiety Related

Well I finally did it guys. I asked my primary care for a referral to a psychiatrist so I can get some meds for my anxiety.

I am trying to come up with a list of questions to bring with me. Any suggestions? Any reccomendations on meds? If a pill might make you nauseous or sleepy it always does for me so I am a little nervous about that.

Our Little Raspberry Born 3/27/12

Re: Seeking Help-Anxiety Related

• Any anxiety pills might do that in the beginning but your body will adjust if it is the right one for you.

BTW Awesome for you!

I take Lexapro but it took a little while for me to get the right medicine and the right dosage.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Good for you!

Let your doc give you reccomendations as they will know your medical history.

Questions to ask

1) should I take the meds with a meal?

2) should I take the meds the same time each day?

3) How long until I see results?

Also-- just a tip-- if you are worred about feeling drowsy/ sick from the meds, you can always try taking them before you go to bed.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • I would write down any time you feel anxious, the symptoms, and anything that caused it. Nothing worse than having a doc ask for your symptoms and suddenly forgetting.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Thanks! I think the tough part is that the closest psychiatrist is an hour away so it is going to be tough to do a bunch of appointments tri get to the right med/dosage. I will make it work but it sucks to live in the middle of nowhere.

• I was put on about three different medications before one really jived with me, so be patient if one or a few don't work.  I become very nauseated with a lot of them and could not tolerate it for the weeks to follow.  Paxil is currently working great for me. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Totally true @luckydad I always take a symptom list when I see my primary care and others so it makes sense to do the same with the psychiatrist.

• All meds affect me really strongly, it took me about 2 weeks to adjust.  I started on zoloft.  I felt drugged for about 3-4 days and then I slowly started waking up and felt better.

I'm now on Cymbalta.  I find that the foggy headedness of Zoloft, the drowsiness, the inability to think straight has lifted.  Cymbalta made me tired and I yawned a lot.  but now I feel amazing. I feel exactly like myself, just with a lot less anxiety.

I never felt quite right on Zoloft.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Thanks you guys are a lot of help :)

I have seen a therapist in the past but I just feel like I use all my coping techniques and they just aren't cutting it anymore.

• I'm happy you made the step @wiggyslilsis!

I just did this as well, I have been on zoloft in the past but I wanted to try something different because it made my reflux bad. I started on cipralex and it had a lot of side effects for the first week but now I really like it.

I will second the PPs, be patient and expect some side effects at first.

Ask your Dr which side effects you can expect, how long they will take to subside, what time of day it is best to take the meds, if there's a generic or cheaper form and how long it will take before you notice an improvement.

PM me if you ever want to chat! Hugs!

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• <3 thanks! It gives me the warm and fuzzies that I can ask this here and get so much help and no judgement!

• jellybean529jellybean529 member
    edited February 2014
    I was once prescribed klonopin for anxiety and it made me so tired. I currently take lexapro, it's an SSRI but it works incredibly well for anxiety, at least for me.

ETA -- as far as side effects, I was tired/groggy/a bit nauseous for the first couple weeks but after that, zero side effects.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"