Minnesota Babies

doula vs birthing classes

Debating having a doula vs taking birthing and newborn care classes. Any recommendations on which route to take? While trying to get the best information for preparation for our first baby, we are also trying to stay on a budget. Thanks for any advice!

Re: doula vs birthing classes

• I took a birth class and also had a doula. I took a one day birth class, no newborn care classes. Where are you planning to deliver? You could look into volunteer doulas if that is something that you would like but can't afford. I delivered at woodwinds and they have free on-call doulas. If you want one you just have it noted in your birth plan, and when you get to the hospital they contact the doula on call and she comes in! Its so wonderful!
    TTC since August 2009
    Clomid for 6 cycles starting August 2010- O but no BFP
    SA Septemeber 2010 Looking good 
    HSG September 2010 All clear 
    1st RE visit May 2011 - IUI#1 June 20, 2011: BFN
    IUI #2 July 31 2011: BFP - m/c @ 5w1d
    Surprise BFP on a break cycle 10/4/11, Due June 4, 2012, Born 6/9/2012
    TTC Blog
    TTC#2 : Cycles 1-3 Protocol 1500mg Metformin Daily, Femara + Ovidrel, Progresterone support 
    HSG#2 November 2013 All clear
    Cycle 4 Metformin, Femara, Bravelle, Ovidrel, Progesterone = BFP
    Little Lady Born 8/28/2014

"There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see, 
    the beauty of love as it was made to be"
    Mumford & Sons
  • IMO, you learn more realistic approaches to L&D from talking with the Doula's, OB's, OB RN's, Midwives, etc. about what they recommend you need to know than from taking the classes. We took classes before our first, which was good in some respects, however the instructor sucked (she was anti-anti any medications which did everyone in the class a dis-service, and just overall spread a lot of myths about the L&D process more than she dispelled them), OTOH, part of that was a tour of L&D facilities which made a few things easier. With the second I went in with an open mind, I had some complications so I used that as a chance to interview the OB RN's for information. L&D took half the time and I didn't require enough medication to sedate a horse this time either because I was so much more relaxed about the process.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I took a birth class and also had a doula. I took a one day birth class, no newborn care classes. Where are you planning to deliver? You could look into volunteer doulas if that is something that you would like but can't afford. I delivered at woodwinds and they have free on-call doulas. If you want one you just have it noted in your birth plan, and when you get to the hospital they contact the doula on call and she comes in! Its so wonderful!
    We had a volunteer doula at Woodwinds, it was great! 
  • I can't bring myself to pay for both, so I'm delivering at Woodwinds where you can have a free doula (usually in-training). I have a friend who is doula-ing there right now (her phrase!) and she said not everyone is in training, and even those who are sometimes have a year or more under their belt because they just haven't finished the certification process. She also told me that ALL of their L&D RN's are required to go through the doula training (but not become certified). I have nothing to back that up, but I trust this friend that she is telling the truth, unless she just got confused? Anyway, with all of the support around Woodwinds for natural birth, I'm more confident to go there with my hypnobabies training but no official doula!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Do both!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"