Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Congestion possible reflux?

One of my girls has had congestion since about 2 weeks old. At first I thought she was getting a cold (I swear when we brought her home everyone was getting sick). Damn cold season. The doctor checked her at her 2 weeks appointment and said it wasn't in her chest and to suction her nose with saline. Her congestion was off and on for the next few weeks and she listened to her chest again at her one month appointment. At that point she had been spitting up a lot (not projectile) and pretty gassy. She made a note about reflux on her chart (I guess because a baby who spits up could be considered refluxy).

Here we are two weeks later and she is still off and on congested. We use saline and suck her nose with the nose frida. We get some snot but it doesn't seem to take away the congestion sound.

If you have a child with reflux, did your child sound congested? From what I've been reading, congestion is a symptom. I'm currently pumping and bottle feeding so I'm wondering if switching her to a gentle formula might help.

Thoughts?

Re: Congestion possible reflux?

• Options
    Our lo didn't sound congested. But every baby is different. I don't think switching to formula is necessary unless dr says so. Have you tried to cut dairy? Maybe feed less but more frequent? I'd call into your nurse and tell them there's still issues. My lo got on medicine at about a month and a half for reflux and has been fine since.
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • Options
    Yes, our LO has reflux and had some congestion and saliva bubbles (not spit up) which were our early signs. A few weeks later he started the back arch and screaming from the pain. He is on Pepcid for his reflux. But FYI our pediatrician said not to give formula to him. Since reflux is a digestive problem and breastmilk is designed for them to digest well. Changing from breastmilk to formula can make the reflux worse. I would talk to your pedi though and see what they suggest.
    Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
    Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
    IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
    IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
    IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD2 had severe reflux and was on formula. So switching to formula isn't going to solve it. She didn't sound congested but it looks others have had kids who did. Talk to your doc again with your question and see what they say.
  • Options
    My LO sounded very congested and has reflux. Her doctor said that congestion was a symptom of her reflux. I would call your doctor if your LO seems uncomfortable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Same thing happened to us. At about 2 weeks thought he was getting a cold, pedi checked and said chest was clear, checked again at 1 month and still clear. She said that congestion could be due to mild reflux. LO has never been on medication for it since its pretty mild, but it can be a symptom of it.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • Options
    This sounds exactly like my LO, her doc said not to suction her nose unless you physically see snot. The reason is they dont have nose hairs and the extra mucous production is Actually their way of keeping irritants out of their lungs. She went on the say the more you clean out their noses the more mucous it will create to compensate. In addition she said the suction actually irritates the nasal passages and creates additional discomfort.. Good luck and i hope your LO feels better soon.
  • Options
    Thanks. So I took her in on saturday. Chest was still clear. She doesn't think its reflux. She recomendded a vaporizer and vicks (not on her but in the water). The next morning she was all snotty and I was able to get quite a bit of snot out. Now both girls are snotty, but DD1 was home all last week sick with a cough and snotty nose. Hoping we can all pass what this is and get better.

• Options
    Did you have a c section? Its common for babies to have issues with more spitting up and their diaphram not being compressed at birth. Its recommended for an Osteopathic Dr to see the baby. This is very common practice in Europe. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    This info on KellyMom helped me feel like my pedi wasn't disregarding my concerns. It delineates between reflux and serious reflux. 

imageimageimageimage

• Options

Thank you ladies.

When I posted awhile back about both girls being snotty, they ended up with RSV. Great!

They are both doing so much better now and we just started Baby B on Zantac a few days ago. She seems quite a bit more comfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"