May 2014 Moms

Re: Miss Manners on "gender" reveal parties

• Loading the player...
  • Everyone has a different outlook on it. I wish I had a gender reveal, but didn't because it was a few days after christmas. I had for family and friends who were bugging me to do a reveal. I would only invite close friends and family. I don't agree with inviting everyone you know. Who turns down a good party?!

In fact, I would be thrilled to go to a gender reveal if a family or friend was having one. And yes, I do care whether or not they are having a boy or a girl.
  • I personally think they are silly. If someone wants to have one then it is no skin off my back, but I probably wouldn't attend.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • From the article ... "An acquaintance of Miss Manners’s who attended such an event said that the mother-to-be was so distraught when she didn’t get the gender she wanted that she started blaming the guests for jinxing it." 

Could you imagine!??! Oh my goodness! How awkward for those poor guests! 

My sister begged me to let her plan one of these parties for us. I just can't get behind it. It's not my style. I don't care if other people have them. It just isn't for me. 
  • Meh-I feel the same way about these as I do about showers for subsequent children. If you want to do it-great-your life your choice. If you are invited to one and are opposed to the idea, then just don't go.
  • I have no opinion on them.  I don't want one (we're team green anyway) and wouldn't attend one unless it was my own future niece/nephew, but I don't begrudge anyone else the fun if it's exciting to them.  Then again, if you're stomping your feet and pouting after the cake is cut and blaming your guests for the way the DNA ended up, that's a whole different ball of crazy.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • Even though I like the idea of a gender reveal I agree with you guys on some things.
    Once you go beyond close friends and family(like second cousins etc.) it gets ridiculous. Those acquaintances and extended family don't care as much as those close to you.

Also, if you are one of those people who prefers a certain sex or will be devastated by the results, don't have it! Seems like a no brainer to me and so awkward for guests.
  • Ha! I am all for gender announcements via FB... or cute ways of telling people... But I have been invited to gender reveals and it does feel ridiculous to me. (Perhaps it's my FFFC??) I honestly don't care:

a) if you're having a boy or girl

b) what you're naming your baby

Keeping those things secret/making them a surprise/etc. then forcing me to participate in an event where I am required to "react" appropriately is ridiculous. It's your baby. You be excited. You share when you're ready. But don't make me jump up and down in excitement over something that has almost no impact on my life.  

(Yes, I know I sound like a cold-hearted bish!)

This. 100%. You took the words right outta my mouth.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I mind of want to post this on my Facebook for the moms to be who threw these parties to see. But I wont

It's a BOY

• This is sooooooooooo true:

"Not everyone is as excited as you are about every detail of your child’s life, let alone the pre-life."

I think the idea is silly.

I don't know how many times I have said that very quote

It's a BOY

• Meh. My MIL wanted me to do a gender-reveal party, but I just couldn't get behind it. I was pretty sure most people just wouldn't care. Instead, we announced that we were having a boy at the family Christmas Eve party with little boxes of blue M&Ms that everyone opened. That was more than good enough for me.

image     image    
  • I'm too impatient (and an introvert). I texted an ultrasound picture and the gender to our immediate family right after the anatomy scan. Once they all knew it went up on Facebook for the rest of the family to see.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Why does she speak in the third person, I don't like it.

As for the parties, they are not for me, we are team green anyway, I can see doing something with immediate family, those who actually 'care' about the sex of your baby, otherwise it's a bit much.  I was tempted to find out just do some sort of cute surprise reveal just for DH and I, but that is it.
    image image image
  • @Kaylee524 that's the type if reveal I wanted to have. We were just going to combine it with Christmas Eve until they changed my ultrasound date until 3days after christmas. No reveal. Just text out an ultrasound pic to everyone.
  • I am not a huge fan. Also....I kinda feel like I have better things to do with my life. Like maybe prepare for becoming a mother?
  • My friends really wanted to throw me one. But I thought it was strange and not for me so I declined.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We met our parents and my brother (the only people we figured would care) and surprised them with cupcakes with a blue center. Not a party per se but a fun way to tell our parents. They were extra surprised because we were supposed to be team green but dropped out. We knew for about 2 weeks before telling them. It was fun and I enjoyed making the cupcakes. But like I said, very low key.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Our reveal was a text to the people who had expressed an interest.

It's very true that nobody is as excited about the details of your fetus as you are. Apart from maybe my dad, but he's a new level of crazy grandpa-to-be.

I tend to find that the reveal party types are also the ones who post daily updates of their pregnancy on FB, like they're the only people to have done it. I appreciate that it's a happy and exciting time but jeez, change the record!

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Well she only said that gender reveal parties are a no-no.  That totes means I can haz a nursery reveal party!  Oh oh oh!  Or a name reveal party!  Squeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaalllll!  

Do you think I should combine my nursery reveal with the name reveal?  Or should I have two different parties?  

But don't worry ladies, I'll make sure everyone knows that I don't want any gifts at my part(y/ies) so that like, makes it better right?     
  • Kimbus22 said:

I just can't fathom that people host parties about genitals.  I'm throwing myself an "i have a vagina" party next summer just for funsies.

I might throw myself an "I can see my vagina" party this summer when I actually can!! :-)
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Definitely not for me, but if you've got family and close friends who would be into it then sure, why not.
  • We got "It's a girl!" written on a cake and brought it to our church small group. They were excited to find out. No need for a party!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"