Postpartum Depression
Options

What Pulled Me Through PPD

Hey Ladies,

It's been a long time since I've been on these boards. I used to be on here every second of the day, actually haha.

However, when I realized I was suffering with PPD, I knew I needed to make some changes in my life. After being in denial for way too long after my first son was born, I finally went to see a therapist. She recommended trying exercise, yoga, mediation, and a million other things that weren't working for me. It wasn't until she told me to find a new hobby that I found my saving grace. 

I had always enjoyed writing, and it seemed to release my pent up dark emotions. It was then that I began to write. It's been three years, and I haven't stopped writing. I've actually written three young-adult fiction novels. They're all dark stories, but I took my depressing feelings and put them on paper. I can't say I healed over night, but after a few months, I realized that there was still room in my life for me. Writing gave me that escape and that outlet. It brought my happiness back, and it made me a better mom.

After my second son was born, I was terrified of PPD returning, but because I kept my mind occupied during naps and after bedtime, I overcame the demon fighting with my brain. 

I wanted to share my story in hopes that the little bit of advice I had received (to find a new hobby), could help some of you too. I wish you all good luck! This is only temporary and you'll overcome it. :)

Author Shari J. Ryan

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What Pulled Me Through PPD

• Options
    So glad you found something to make you happy and take your mind of of the PPD craziness.  It is def tough! I had really bad PPD and anxiety after my DS was born.  It didn't hit me until DS was 7 months old! I'm fearful of it returning whenever we have another one too :-(.  I've learned so much about myself through this process and continue to seek therapy.  I also pray that I can recognize what is going on next time and help myself out of it as well.

Congrats!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"