Toddlers: 24 Months+

Daycare Vent

A week and a half ago, on a Friday when it had snowed, DD's daycare sent another kid home with DD's only snow boots, and she wore his sneakers home (they were 2 sizes too big, so I have no idea how they got her boots on him in the first place, but whatever).  She still hasn't gotten them back.  It was a Friday, and when DD went to school again on Monday, I put the other kid's sneakers in her backpack to return.  We have asked and asked and asked, but still no boots.  DH actually said that he feels like a PITA because he asks for her boots every single time he goes in there to drop off or pick up. 

In the grand scheme, it hasn't been such a big deal, because it hasn't snowed since then.  But it's snowing now and we're supposed to get 10 inches by tomorrow morning, and the daycare director just texted me to apologize because the other parent forgot my DD's boots AGAIN.  She said she thought they might be bringing them tonight, but in the meantime, she would check at her house to see if she had a pair that would fit DD, and will give them to DH when he picks up today, which is very nice.  But still, I'm pretty much blind with rage right now, and just really needed to vent.  I wrote back and asked that she please reach out to the other parents again and tell them we need those boots back tonight because they are her only ones.  How do you keep another kid's boots for this long?!  Put them in your damn car so you can't forget!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Daycare Vent

• fanofannefanofanne member
    edited January 2014
    i agree, that is very very annoying...i don't blame you for being frustrated.
    on a non-related note...jason statham is yummy.
  • That would really piss me off!! I don't blame you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Update: Still no boots, but DH spoke to the director last night, and it turns out she didn't even know about this until 3 days ago when DH texted her about it!  She thought it just happened.  The staff was trying to resolve it without telling her, and she was completely apeshit about that when he told her last night that it has been a week and a half.  She said that my DD will have boots on Thursday so that she can go out and play in the snow at school, even if the director has to buy her a new pair herself (she's at my parent's today, and they won't take her out in the snow).

So at least I know she's trying now, even if the staff wasn't overly helpful for the past week!
  • Hmm I would be asking someone money to replace the boots. I'd throw out a statement like, "I expect to see the boots or $75 by next Friday..."
  • The director bought DD a pair of boots at a consignment shop.  They're two sizes too big, and I skeeve consignment shoes.  I appreciate the effort, but really?  If you're going to replace her boots, buy her new ones, not used ones.  Meanwhile, it turns out that the school actually has no idea what could've happened to DD's boots.  The kid they thought wore them home two weeks ago actually didn't, and no one has asked any of the other parents or even looked around the school until yesterday.  But still no one has found them.  We borrowed a pair from a friend, but I was hesitant to let DD wear those to school because I'm afraid that school will somehow lose them too.
    I'm still raging about this.
  • I think it will be okay. Are you really that desperate for boots? Going to a daycare things are going to get lost. It is just another expense of parenting to replace lost items. Who knows maybe your daughter lost them. They are boots. Replace them yourself and get over it.
  • I know that I'm unreasonably angry about it.  It just amazes me that my kid can go to school in shoes and come home without any.  It's terribly irresponsible.

I get other kid's sheets sent home to me all the time, she comes home in other kids pants sometimes, even though there is an extra pair or two in her backpack, sometimes she doesn't have any mittens to wear home . . . it's a chronic thing, you know?  And when they were her only snow boots, and no one could ever just acknowledge that they were lost for almost two weeks, it's frustrating.
  • I know it can be frustrating but it just doesn't seem worth getting angry over. I am sure they don't intentionally lose things. If you question the competency of the workers maybe consider switching but I have to assume those types of things happen at all day cares. I would rather lose a couple pairs of shoes, hats, scarves, etc and my child be happy and healthy. I just think it has to be very hard on the teachers to keep everyone's belongings straight when the kids all come dressed differently everyday. I. Would more blame the other parents for not recognizing/returning a lost item than the center/teacher. Deep breath it will be okay. :)
  • I sympathize with you. It obviously sounds like you live in an area with extreme weather conditions...which requires a budget for special clothing. The teachers need to very aware of these items, money doesn't grow on trees and these items shouldn't just go missing! Missing boots is not the same thing as sheets or socks, etc.

I'm a stickler when it comes to things like this, for the next set of boots place a strip of pink duct tape around the toe of the boots and write her name on across the duct tape...maybe people will get the "hint"!
  • cynthiasun79 said:
    I'm a stickler when it comes to things like this, for the next set of boots place a strip of pink duct tape around the toe of the boots and write her name on across the duct tape...maybe people will get the "hint"!
    The borrowed ones that she wore to school today had masking tape inside the top of the boot with her name on them in pink sharpie.  They're not her boots, so I didn't want to do anything permanent to them.

The director bought her another new pair today, and I'm told that they fit well and my DD loves them.  I can't imagine what they look like and I have no idea where they came from, but I'm done.

I am still pretty curious what could've happened to her other boots, though.  They were awesome boots.
  • It shouldn't be this damn hard to figure out who has them unless some parent is being (bizarrely) deceitful.  Your daughter wore some boy's shoes home.  He obviously went home in SOME shoes so if he doesn't have the boots, whose shoes DID he wear home?  They need to keep tracking until they unravel the ball of yarn.  Otherwise, they need to buy her a NEW pair of boots.  
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• That is Fing ridiculous. I would be livid. We had 12inchs of snow here. My kids only have 1 pair of boots and they cost $35. I am so angry for you. Hope the director bought you an actual new pair.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Te new boots the director bought are actually new boots.  They pretty fug, but DD does indeed adore them, and they're good enough. 
  • That is terrible- I would be livid!  We live in Chicago (think polar vertex!) and our daycare has never lost any of our items  (maybe a bib we bought once- that we didn't label and happened to be the same type that they used, so i don't even count that).  Also, I know none of the parents in our daycare would knowingly keep items that didn't belong to them.

Somebody definitely deserves the side eye.

• That is annoying and I would be pissed! DD comes home with stuff in her back pack every other week and I send it right back the next day. I could understand the boots got sent home by accident, okay mistakes happen BUT why do you still have my kids boots a week and a half later? That is crazy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That is absolutely ridiculous! I mean if it was a one time issue I could understand, mistakes unfortunately do happen but that many times to you alone? That is insane! I work in daycare/preschool and keeping kids belongings straight is a huge deal. We of course ask that parents label everything but we also make sure that everything is labeled and that items are put directly into the children's cubbies if they are not using/wearing it. Mixing up children's items is something that is ground for immediate termination at the place I work at. I couldn't imagine a daycare/preschool being so lax about this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with a PP about not getting too worked up about this.  It's not worth your time.  However, since it appears it is a chronic thing, I tend to lean towards being more concerned.  Yes, daycares lose things all the time.  A hair clip, maybe a sock.  My daughter has been attending daycare for 15 months now.  We've lost 3 things.  2 ponytail holders and a pair of socks.  If she had lost large clothing items that no one can find, it shows a lack of care and attention to details that I believe are absolutely essential when I am trusting you to care for my child 8-10 hours a day!  I think you should have a sit down with the director.  Thank her for her time and her effort in replacing the boots.  But she needs to understand why you are not happy.  It's not over $35.  It's over the irresponsible behaviors of the staff (hiding it from the director?!). If you aren't comfortable after that talk, it's time to look for a new place. 
  • I'm all set with this issue now - she's got new boots, we're done and I'm over it.

But, by way of follow up, DH and I have a theory of what happened to her boots.  The day that she came home without them, daycare said something to DH about one of the other kids having a serious poop accident during outside play time, to the extent that it got in/on his shoes, and how that was a big disruption that day.  DD is often the last kid picked up at the end of the day, by the way.  We think that kid was actually wearing DD's boots when it happened, and they got thrown away.  Her boots were blue and black and I guess they did look like boys boots, so they probably just got switched for recess, but no one realized it until everyone was going home and that kid wore his own boots home (which DD had probably been wearing at recess), leaving her with nothing to wear home.  Now none of the parents have them, and no one can find them, because they got thrown away because of the poop explosion.  That was the first time she had ever worn them to daycare, too.

Sigh.  I loved those boots, they looked so stinking cute with her skinny jeans.
  • Happy to hear this wrapped up for you! I was with you with through the whole thing, I relate with daycare life!
  • Happy to hear this wrapped up for you! I was with you with through the whole thing, I relate with daycare life!
  • Anytime you send your child to daycare and they don't come home with the items, I would bill the daycare the cost of replacing that item.  Go online, order new ones, and give them the receipt.  Otherwise, they will replace them with cheap or used items that are not up to your standard. 
  • OMG, they found her boots!  The kid that they thought had them in the first place did.  Apparently his parents are just idiots and what? didn't notice that their kid had someone else's boots on when he came home?  Anyway, they are home.  I love those boots.  Yay. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"