January 2013 Moms

To wean or not to wean...

Dd is 13.5 months now and nursing 2-4 times a day. On her first bday I had a horrible case of mastitis, I could barely function. So this morning I woke up with a sore spot and a general icky feeling and I'm terrified it's coming back. Of course I'll continue bfing to try to resolve it but ever since the first time I've just been dreading it coming back.

I don't want to stop, but I kind of do. I don't know. I always thought shed give it up before me. I want her to have the nutrition, and I worry, like how will I get her back to sleep if she wakes up too early in the morning. How will she deal when there's too many people around her and she gets scared? But it would also be nice to have my body back completely.

Does anyone else feel like this? Have you weaned? I don't even know how to go about starting.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: To wean or not to wean...

• Yup. I'm going through this debate too. I am working on weaning. I nurse her 3 times a day right now and am working on getting it down to 2 times. The problem I have is that DD won't drink WCM, so I don't have anything to give her instead.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Of course it's different for everyone, but I just weaned DD almost 2 weeks ago. We were feeding once in the morning and once in the evening. I made the decision to stop, and for us there was no issue with her wanting it anymore. I tried a few days after for some relief because it was kind of abrupt, but she cried when I tried. I would it down more slowly than just stopping, especially if there's a chance of mastitis again. I'm still working on getting my supply to go away. It hasn't been pleasant, hoping yours goes better when you decide to wean!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Ugh, this is us too. I love nursing and we still do 4 or 5 times a day down from 7 so we have a ways to go. Mine takes WCM okay but is already drinking less and I worry about not being able to soothe her. We are getting molars again now so I'm not trying anything new but am hoping to wean by summer but I'm also kind of hoping she does it herself. Three thought of cutting her off makes me emotional!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good luck with the decision. I weaned in October. I had a ton of milk in my freezer and was transferring to a new school and pumping was going to be very hard so I started weaning. I started dropping pumps and then dropped the first nursing session of the day and then I gave up the night nursing session last (this was my favorite one that is why I saved it for last).
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Brummy14Brummy14 member
    edited February 2014
    Ditto!! I EP, and just went through round two of mastitis. I pump 6-7x a day, including a MOTN session. I'm pretty much over it. I've started actively increasing duration between pumping sessions ever so slowly...my long term goal was to make it through flu season (so close!). If I can get down to 3-4x a day, without a MOTN session, and still have a somewhat decent supply, and the mastitis doesn't return, I think I could keep up for quite a while. But if this once a month mastitis thing becomes habit, I'm done.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Okay, how do people just drop the big nursing sessions? I currently nurse her before two naps, before bed, and once at night. I dropped the morning session since she didn't really like it anyway but I have no idea how to just skip nursing before naps! So clueless! :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • spainy17 said:
    Okay, how do people just drop the big nursing sessions? I currently nurse her before two naps, before bed, and once at night. I dropped the morning session since she didn't really like it anyway but I have no idea how to just skip nursing before naps! So clueless! :-)

I think some babies and or mamas just aren't as ready as others. I knew it was easier for us because she is a great eater and has been taking a zippy cup and straw cups since about 6 months. I think trying to phase-out one feeding at a time and replacing it with something else, may end up feeling more comfortable to wean. But if you and LO aren't ready, then don't push it. It will happen in time :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageimage

• One of my friends told me that I would "know" when it was time, and that if I wasn't sure it meant I wasn't ready. Unfortunately shortly after my LO turned 1 I was put on antibiotics so couldn't breastfeed. I had already started weaning and pushing WCM so it seemed like the time to end, albeit more suddenly that I had thought. I was really sad for awhile, especially when LO was clawing at my shirt for milk. She only did that twice and then never really looked back. It is nice to not pump at work and have my body back but I still miss it. Good luck with whatever you decide. 
  • I like the idea of just "knowing."  Hopefully this does not take until she is 3.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm still encouraging DD to eat 4 times, I think she would be fine with 2-3 but I'm not giving her cow's milk so I figure my milk is better than the other alternatives as long as I can keep going. It's harder now that I wear a real bra to work, I only started a few weeks ago and never wore anything but a nursing bra when I was at home, so I've had a few lumps [clogged ducts] and am a bit worried.
  • I feel like I'll just know as well.  DH assumed you just stop at 1 year, and I said I was leaving it up to DS.  DH was like, "you're not going to be nursing our 4 year old on the cover of Newsweek, are you?" 

I don't think DS will nurse past 18-24 months.  I currently nurse him when he wakes in the morning and before bed.  He's really not interested during the day and stopped on his own.  At first, I thought there'd be no way I was going to get him down for a nap without nursing him, but he just does it on his own.  I do try to be consistent with a routine with bedtime and before naps, so that nursing is just a small part of everything we do before bedtime along with coconut oil on his face, a couple books, dimming the lights, turning on his music... Last night he nursed for about 8 minutes then popped off on his own and just curled up to snuggle for a few minutes before I laid him down.  I used to nurse about 10 minutes on each side in the morning and at night, but just this week, he's started to nurse on only one side at night and the other side in the morning.  I was uncomfortable for about a day and a half, and then my body adjusted to his demands.  I stopped pumping at work after Christmas.

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"