Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Single vs double stroller

My husband and I are expecting our first baby this year, and we know we will have at least one or two more in the next 5 years or so.  We are an active couple, and are considering a SUPER expensive all-terrain stroller/bike trailer/jogger combo (the Chariot Chinook).  As the double is only marginally more expensive than the single - does it make sense to buy the double for our first?  Has anyone else done this or are we nuts?  Also would LOVE to hear feedback for the Chinook or any of the Charoit strollers.  We live in the sticks so no mall use or sidewalk strolls around the block for us - just the bumpy cross country trails behind our house or the country roads we bike on.  

Re: Single vs double stroller

• Options
    I don't personally have one of these b. I would say go for the double as you can always put just the one in it but not the other way around! It would be so frustrating to eventually have 2 kids and nowhere to put 2
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options
    Hiking with a stroller doesn't work so great, are you going to use it for anything but walking? If not I'd try babywearing and go from there.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not really hiking, but not walking on a smooth surface.  They are flat cross country ski trails that have some bumps/roots that we walk & run on in the summer.  My husband would use it as a bike trailer.  The thing has available ski attachments, but not sure if I would dare to use them.  
  • Options
    Double strollers, while necessary when you have two, are big, heavy, and bulky.  I would just get a single one now and upgrade when you are expecting another one.  Plus, new products will come out between now and then anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have had the Chariot Cougar in both single and double. Get the double. More space, easier to resell if and when. The way their seating works is for a single rider on the double, they sit center and the straps are interchangeable. I have had a Chariot of some kind for15 years, and hands down my favorite. We live rural and hitting the trails is a breeze, it's so light to push wwlking/hiking and easy to pull with the mountain bike.

Honestly, it's easy enough my 11 year old can do it with the 5 and 7 year old in tow. I personally don't have the ski attachment, but I got to borrow my neighbor's, and it wasnt too bad. Dh did better than I did, but it was only one time and I probably would have gotten better if I had more time with it. 

No, I'm not selling mine, my double is sticking around for a few more years yet. Oh, thats another thing, it's a well made product that lasts a long time. My double is now 10 years old and looks new. The only way it would leave is if Chariot were to give me the new Chinook. 

• Options

I honestly had to look this stroller up as I'm not familiar with it. 

I would purchase the double. This obviously isn't an every day type stroller, so I feel buying the double now would be the best investment and then getting a regular single light weight stroller for every day use ie malls and in and out type errands. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Hey! This is what we did to our single stroller and made it a double to last us a little longer. https://hubbardscupboard2010.com/2013/10/11/convert-a-single-stroller-to-double-stroller/
  • Options
    I would definitely get the double in this situation.  When we bought our bike trailer we got the double because as a PPer said, you can still work it for 1 child easily.  It's not like you are pushing a half empty stroller.  The Chariot is different so I would do the double for sure! 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"