Parenting

Re: CVS to stop selling cigarettes

• Options
    I think it's a good thing. I'm not a smoker though.
  • Options
    Yeah I don't think it will stop anything...just smokers from shopping there.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I say good for them as a non-smoker.  Otherwise, they can choose to not sell whatever they want.  The smokers will just shop somewhere else.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    good.
    ...says a non-smoker
  • Options
    As a non smoker myself, I like it and obviously they're legal but a private company can make any decision they'd like.  But realistically, this won't stop smokers from smoking and I don't think it's going to give non smokers the feels enough to patronize CVS so I'm not sure what the goal was.  I'm skeptical to think it's because CVS gives a genuine fuck, kwim?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

Who cares though...as non-smokers does it bother you when someone buys cigs? What do I care what people buy at CVS...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I noticed the other day Wawa did not sell lottery tickets....WTF?!?!?

• Options
    I thought it was interesting mostly because of what @pobrecita said.

There's also the question of "What's next - candy bars? Sodas?" Those don't really promote a healthy lifestyle either. They're ok in moderation, they're legal to sell to minors, and they're non-habit forming, so maybe that's where CVS draws the line?

I still think it's dumb that the CVS near us doesn't sell alcohol, so I'm more on the side of sell it, and let consumers decide for themselves whether to buy it or not.
  • Options
    I just want to know if they're going to stop selling smoking secession products.  

I don't think that secession is the right word but fuck it.  The red squiggly line showed up and i picked one.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    Maebb said:
    I thought it was interesting mostly because of what @pobrecita said. There's also the question of "What's next - candy bars? Sodas?" Those don't really promote a healthy lifestyle either. They're ok in moderation, they're legal to sell to minors, and they're non-habit forming, so maybe that's where CVS draws the line? I still think it's dumb that the CVS near us doesn't sell alcohol, so I'm more on the side of sell it, and let consumers decide for themselves whether to buy it or not.
    This. Unlike candy and soda (and even alcohol), there is no "safe" amount of nicotine. This has been the basis for banning tobacco in most settings.
    Actually, there can be. 

Nicorette and the like have safe levels that you use to wean yourself off. It's not the nicotine that gives you the cancers, it's the other junk in cigarettes.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    The nicotine just gets you addicted.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    Maebb said:
    I thought it was interesting mostly because of what @pobrecita said. There's also the question of "What's next - candy bars? Sodas?" Those don't really promote a healthy lifestyle either. They're ok in moderation, they're legal to sell to minors, and they're non-habit forming, so maybe that's where CVS draws the line? I still think it's dumb that the CVS near us doesn't sell alcohol, so I'm more on the side of sell it, and let consumers decide for themselves whether to buy it or not.
    This. Unlike candy and soda (and even alcohol), there is no "safe" amount of nicotine. This has been the basis for banning tobacco in most settings.
    Actually, there can be. 

Nicorette and the like have safe levels that you use to wean yourself off. It's not the nicotine that gives you the cancers, it's the other junk in cigarettes.  

You are correct. I should have said there is no safe amount of cigarette use.

Why are you so damn smart? Do you sit around learning all the things all the time?

@overture taught me about the nicotine thing a few weeks ago. 

She is smarts.  I learned my nicotine-related smarts from her. 

Credit where credit is due. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    They are not the same, but I think most doctors would probably say that candy bars and sodas, even in moderation, don't make a positive contribution to one's health. They might not be harmful, but they're not helpful, so I don't know if that's consistent with CVS' message either.
  • Options
    I don't really think candy bars and soda compare to cigarettes at all.

Sugar is addictive.  Too much fat and sugar can kill you. 

::shrug::
  • Options
    I'm in favor of this move. Smoking is a public health issue and I think CVS is setting a good example. I'm not sure I buy their stated motive, but it may put pressure on their competition to take a similar stand.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    I think it is a good thing, I'm not a smoker either.
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options

Sucks to be a smoker?  I mean, they can choose what they sell, so whatever works for them. 

My folks have been smokers for years, and ever since the tax hike here in MA, will frequently drive over an hour to NH to buy them cheaper.   I doubt CVS no longer selling them impact the greater good. 

LOVE the gymnastics bar in your living room!!! I was a competitive gymnast and coach for years...I am jealous your daughter has one at home!! That would have been soooo cool! ;-)
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Drugstores here stopped selling cigarettes in the early nineties. It didn't cause an uproar so much as confusion from older people who insisted and complained.

I think it was about time a US company followed suit. Cigs don't belong in drugstores.

BTW anyone else here remembers being young and able to purchase their parents' cigarettes for like 2.50$ at a local store where the tellers knew your family? I do. Which is why I'm so glad laws have changed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"