Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Getting rid of binky with my 18 month old

I want to start getting my son to not use his binky. He seems to whine all day long if he can't have it. What was the best way for your toddler? Should I just give it to him at nap times? Should I just go cold turkey in the morning?

Re: Getting rid of binky with my 18 month old

• I'd slowly start taking it away during times when he doesn't "need" it as much, like only during nap and bedtimes. Then cut it out at naptimes and then finally bedtime. We're in between cutting it out at nap and bedtime right now. 90% of her naps she's fine without it, but we still have some days where she doesn't want to sleep. I'm waiting to fully cut it out until she's comfortable during naptime so she still sleeps well during the night.
  • My mom works at Target and had a parent come in and have her child give the pacifier to my mom so she could "give it to a little baby that really needs one." Then shortly after hearing the story from my mom my supervisor mentioned he did the same thing with his daughter. This made me wonder how many young kids have made the trip to Target to give up a pacifier. My daughter is 13 months old and never used a pacifier so I don't have any advice. Your question just made me think of this story. I'm guessing this became the plan when other tricks failed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • We are currently working on this too. She only uses it at nap time & bed time. I want to wait until she can understand because it's the one thing that hasn't changed since she was born. I've heard about snipping the ends. Cold turkey. DD uses it for the initial fall asleep then it's on the floor outside the crib. Sooooooo I'll keep watching this thread haha because I have nothing.
  • DS is 20 months old and we just began the process. He absolutely loves his binky so taking it away while not sleeping is not an option for us. What I did was poke a hole with a really large pushpin and every couple of days I poked a new hole next to the first hole, making that hole bigger. Now the hole is big enough that you can feel air coming in as you suck on it. He had a hard time going down for naps and bed for 2 days but today did much better. I'll probably give it 4-5 more days and make the hole bigger. I plan on nipping the tip in about 2 weeks. I am just hoping he gives it up on his own and I can say that I've seen a reduction in use in the last few days.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• We are having huge success right now with cutting out her using her "plugger"all day. I put one on her nightstand and one in her car seat. I told her that this is where her "pluggers" are going to stay for now, but she can still have them at nap time and when we are in the car. After she wakes up I ask her to put it on her nightstand and she does. The second day was the worst because she got that I was trying to take it away from her. We are on day 5 and she's doing really well. Soon we will get rid of the one in the car, then for nap times. I'm doing it slowly though, because she is very, very attached to it.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • I literally JUST started taking my daughters and she did not seem to care. She only got it during naps and sleeping at night. So I was going to start slow, but it turns out she just doesn't seem to care about it. So I think it is safe to say we will be stopping cold turkey.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • We cut my DD pacifer during the day when she was 7 months. We just stopped giving it yo her and left it in the crib. She took it during naps and night time until a week ago. She is almost 20 months. I just didn't give it to her for nap. She cried for a few minutes and then played in crib for an hour. I took her out, gave her lunch, and tried again. She was out in 10 minutes and slept 2 hours. That night no pacifier ane she cried less than 10 minutes and slept 10 hours. She yells "no, no, no!" when it is time for bed but only cries for about a minute now. After 3 days I threw her pacifiers away so I wouldn't be weak but she's been fine.
  • Great ideas!!! I'm gonna need to remember this when the time comes to get rid of dd's pacifier. : ))
  • We are doing the gradual method. First, we took it away at home during the day. Then, when we were out in public (I was guilty of using it when he got whiny in stores). Next was the car. Now he just uses it to sleep. I have been saying for a month that I am going to cut that out but I dread it so much I keep finding reasons to delay it. DS is 20 months old.
  • I'm having a hard time with this as well! We were down to DD only using it during naps and bedtime.  But now, every time she's teething or sick we go back to her getting it during the day, because it's the only thing that seems to really help.
  • DS is 19 months and we've been working on this too...however I have to say we've slipped a bit lately because his eye teeth are starting to work their way out and he uses his paci to GNAW down on his gums.  Since I know it provides him some relief teething (and he asks for it when he wants it--he calls it his "pah-puh-peer" because we call it a pacifier) I've been giving it to him lately.  I am dreading the day we have to take it away completely.
    Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So Monday I completely stopped giving my son his pacifier and he was upset at first, but literally all it took was that one day I haven't given it to him since for any reason. :) so excited feels like a little man is got running around, especially since he uses his vocals so much more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"