Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Moving and toddler bed

We will be moving in about a month, DS will be 22 months and then we have baby #2 coming in May.  So we will need the crib sometime around May.  I am probably over thinking this but not sure what to do with the move.  Start then in the bed or keep something familiar with the crib and a couple months later transition to the bed?  Just wondering if others have past experience.  I am a little concerned the move will affect sleeping b/c we are currently with my mother b/c our house sold quickly so the first 3 weeks was a little rough.  I am not worried about him liking the bed b/c that is where he naps.  He does get up in the middle of the night so time crying for me, I don't get him but in a bed he can get out.  Thanks for any advice.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moving and toddler bed

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AimeeL85AimeeL85 member
    edited February 2014
    We were in the same position, we moved when DS was 21 months and baby #2 was due 3 months after that.  We kept him in his crib immediately following the move so that it would still be "his bed" to him; I think that's really important - a move is a big change and a new bed is a big change to a toddler, so I wouldn't do them at the same time.

We planned to keep him in his crib until the baby needed it (she stayed in our room a few months), but he adjusted great with the move and we ended up switching him to the toddler bed when the baby was 2 weeks old. The reason I did that was because I always seemed to be in the middle of nursing the baby when he would wake up and yell for me in the morning; it was easier if he could just get out of his bed and come to me so I didn't have to stop feeding her.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Loading the player...
  • Why not set up both in his room to start, even if it's a tight squeeze? Make up the toddler bed all sweet with cool bedding and extra stuffed animals, and he might just be enticed to sleep in it. But you will have the crib just in case, for backup. I'm sure everybody's experience is different, but on the nights that my son does wake in the middle of the night, he tends to stay in bed and cry for me instead of getting out, If he does g out, though, it's no big deal because we did childproof his room very well, including bolting the dresser to the wall.
  • Thank you the advice is great!
  • We moved when DD was 16 mos. we kept her in her crib for a few months before going to the toddler bed. She slept well in her new room from day 1, probably because she had her safe space in her crib.
  • We moved DS to a regular bed from the crib a few months before DD was born. He had just turned two. It wasn't necessarily an easy transition for him so I'm glad I did it before she came along. If we would have waited until after she was born I would have had to deal with a newborn and him crying about the big bed. Plus, I didn't want it to feel like the baby was kicking him out of his crib... which he really liked. It's something to think about.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"