Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

GTKY: Makeup Tricks

Hi everyone! I had a snow day today (2nd one this week, I'm a teacher in NY) and I'm very bored at home. Also, bummed... I just randomly got a box of newborn formula in the mail. Never ordered it. Don't think anyone would send it to me. I don't know... But it just bummed me out to have no reason for it (yet). Maybe it's a sign of things to come!

ANYWHO, I want to chat about fun stuff! So, share your weird/secret/fun/etc. beauty tricks that you have with me!

I'll go first: I use coconut oil on my hair once a week. I have tried every deep conditioner on the planet (worked in an Ulta for 9 years and got gratis of everything!) and nothinggggg beats this!

Re: GTKY: Makeup Tricks

• Options

I have tried this...I put it in my hair before my shower and wash it out, otherwise I get buildup, important to note I think  :)

I have been trying to practice oil pulling more often - just got complimented on my white teeth this week!

Oooh what's oil pulling?

And yes, that's exactly how I use the coconut oil. I put it on dry hair then wash because I once read that if you wet the hair first, it absorbs water first and THEN the conditioning product. I like to think it's more beneficial to apply dry :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have tried this...I put it in my hair before my shower and wash it out, otherwise I get buildup, important to note I think  :)

I have been trying to practice oil pulling more often - just got complimented on my white teeth this week!

What kind of oil do you use? I just read about this last week and am intrigued but the thought is sort of weird to me.

No major tricks from me, except my life hasn't been the same since I started using Supergoop CC cream.
    TTC Since 11/13
    BFP 4/26/14 EDD 1/1/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hmmm. I use white highlighting eyeshadow in the inside corners of my eyes. It opens them up.

@emejay- thanks for sharing! That's a good one.

imageimage
  • Options
    @oursecretelopement i also use coconut for oil pulling! 

@RSeed - here's a link that explains what it is  https://wellnessmama.com/7866/oil-pulling-for-oral-health/

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a GIRL! EDD 2.6.15

• Options
    Love this thread. I usually use moroccan oil on my hair, but the coconut oil idea sounds less expensive...
    Married 5/12/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
    69 Thoughts We've All Had While Drunk

• Options
    20 minutes of oil swishing?!?! 

My top tips:
    Use a brush to apply foundation.  Start with your nose and work under your eyes and around your chin.  Don't put it on your whole face.
    Blush is your friend - pink cheeks look youthful!
    Preparation H for the bags under your eyes - it really really works
    Exfoliate your lips with a warm washcloth, then apply your choice of lip moisturizer.  I like ones with vitamin e.
    Treat your neck and chest with the same care (washing and moisturizing) as you would your face.
    For a good smoky eye, all you really need is a fat black eyeliner and warm fingertips.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • Options

It's not exactly makeup related, but I dry brush. I live in a very dry climate and my legs start to look like alligator skin if I don't exfoliate well. I found that this is amazing for exfoliation and I like the way it feels-which I might be crazy for. It's supposed to help with cellulite too, but I don't know if I believe that.

Coconut oil in the hair works wonders! I also swear by my clairisonic and coal face soap from Lush for my acne battles. And my tangle teezer for combing through hair right after a shower.

photo: YOU CAN’T SIT WITH US!

• Options
    RinnyBee said:

This one might sound weird, but monistat chafing gel is the BEST primer. And it costs $5.

I've heard this before from multiple people!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    RinnyBee said:
    This one might sound weird, but monistat chafing gel is the BEST primer. And it costs $5.
     I don't know if it's actually the exact same thing as smashbox photofinish, but it definitely feels like it.

• Options
    RinnyBee said:

YES! I love that stuff in summer when I'm sweating my makeup off.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • Options
    I occasionally rinse my hair with Apple cider vinegar. It's supposed to make your hair shinier.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Options
    nikiz628nikiz628 member
    edited February 2014
    Soak your feet in 1/2 cup vinegar 1/2 cup listerine 1/2-1 cup warm water (sometimes I double it for my good foot bath that warms & vibrates). It helps remove all the dead skin from your feet. I soak for up to an hour if I have the time (rare) but 15 minutes is what is recommended... then follow with a good pumice and a deep moisturizer.

Also, a DIY face mask I love. 1/4 cup of baking soda with 1-2 T of milk (to make a paste like mask). Apply to face for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water. I have LARGE pores and this helps shrink them up and remove blackheads.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/0e004fc06de8560c7b08afd8da184426/tumblr_inline_mxveimFLAn1s4d130.gif
                                                                             Me: 28  H: 28  DS: 4
    [TTC Since October 2013] [ BFP 1.27.15  EDD: 10.8.15]
    I WEAR ORANGE FOR MY GRANDMA- SUPPORT KIDNEY CANCER AWARENESS
    Trinitrotoluene: "My ears have been deflowered
....my mouth just hasn't been!"

BabyFruit Ticker 
                                        BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I add a few drops of tea tree oil to warmed up coconut oil and use it as a treatment for dandruff or dry scalp about once a month. I just put it on hair, cover with a cap, and go to sleep. In the morning I wash it out. Not only is your hair soft but you ward away dandruff without any harsh chemicals.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    For my hair, I have a standing appointment with my hair stylist every two weeks.

But when I put on my makeup I put a little amount of my pressed powder on my lips. It helps hold my lipstick/ lip gloss. 
  • Options
    Some that haven't already been mentioned:

-Sugar on the lips to exfoliate
    -When I blow out my hair I use a big round metal brush and heat the brush up first
    -I only wash my hair twice a week (curly hair I blow out) when I reheat I always use a thermal protector
    -I fill in my eyebrows and feel like a new person

I love reading these! Keep 'em coming ladies!

Married 10-5-12 | TTC#1 10-5-13 | BFP 4-5-14 | Due 12-12-14
    First u/s 4-21-14, Baby G has a heartbeat! 112BPM
    Second u/s 5-1-14 140BPM | Third u/s 5-3-14 168BPM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I use yonka gommage for a gentle facial peel - it works well for sensitive skin. It exfoliates in a gentle way. I use it once a week.
  • Options
    mbrookeRN said:
    RinnyBee said:
     I don't know if it's actually the exact same thing as smashbox photofinish, but it definitely feels like it.
    What?!?!! I might have to try this....in order, would you go moisturize, vag gel, BB cream? 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I lightly brush my lips with my toothbrush when I brush my teeth-it makes them really smooth!  I use moroccan oil on my hair when it's extra dry.  If I'm out running errands and I get static hair-I put just a little bit of hand lotion on and run my hands over the ends of my hair-it knocks the static down.

• Options
    These are great! Definitely going to try some. I'm surprised to see how many people use coconut oil too! And I can't wait to whip out the Monistat and rub it all over my FACE in front of my husband! He'll have a freak out haha
  • Options
    My secret is loose powder eyeliner! I apply with a thin, soft brush. I blend it to soften for daytime. I line my eyes then use it to fill in my eyebrows. But you have to get the heavily pigmented stuff... I use Bare Essentials "Patio Party" (very dark brown with a gold shimmer)
    Me (30; PCOS) + H (36; Healthy) + 2 kitties
    5 clomid cycles (BFN)
    4 femara cycles (BFN)
    3 injectables cycles (BFN)
    Moving on to IVF in Jan/Feb 2015
  • Options
    I use a hair straightener to curl my hair. Just put in in and turn your wrist to create a nice curl. Holds much better for me than using a curling iron.

Married and started TTC in July 2013

"Diagnosed" with unexplained infertility
    Oct 2014 IUI #1: 100mg clomid/HCG trigger/2 mature follicles/18mil post wash sperm count: BFP!!!

• Options
    Htle07Htle07 member
    edited February 2014
    Oatmeal facial. Use plain oatmeal, mix with some warm water to create a creamy paste. Apply it to your face. After it dries, wet your finger with water and exfoliate your face for a few minutes then rinse off. Leaves skin very soft and smooth.
  • Options
    I need help. I can't get an eyeliner to stay put under my eyes. I've tried covering it with similar color eye shadow, putting powder underneath, setting spray and even bought UD 24/7 (among others) at the recommendation of someone at Ulta. Am I just using the wrong kind?

Dx: Endometriosis (2010), PCOS (2013)

TTC since 8/2012

BFP 3/9/2014  Femara 7mg + trigger. EDD 11/20/2014

http://amycookiemonster.blogspot.com

• Options
    AmyC925 said:

I need help. I can't get an eyeliner to stay put under my eyes. I've tried covering it with similar color eye shadow, putting powder underneath, setting spray and even bought UD 24/7 (among others) at the recommendation of someone at Ulta. Am I just using the wrong kind?

I used to have this problem, then I started using Bare Minerals' "Round the Clock" eyeliner. It's perfection!! ($14)

imageimage
  • Options
    @rinnybee an even dumber question. A primer will help my BB cream and other makeup go on nice and smoothly, yes? I am cheap so never bothered to buy one, and therefore don't exactly know what I'd need one. But $5 hacks are right up my alley so I might give this a whirl. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I use maybe a teaspoon of baking soda to exfoliate my face and neck every other day or so. I keep a little tupperware in my shower. I try to do this mask every week or so: 4-5 non-coated aspirin pills in a few drops of warm water (to dissolve them) and 1-2 tablespoons of honey. It's supposed to help with redness and stuff.
    I have totally used the monistat stuff. It's awesome!

****Loss in Sig****
    3T Sig Challenge: New Year's Resolutions

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."

Marie Curie

Married 2010, together since 2006. TTC for #1 since March 2012, actively charting since November 2013
    March 2014 - HSG left tube blocked, right tube partially blocked bilaterial partial obstruction; onward to the RE in April
    May 1, 2014 - Lap surgery and chromopertubation; Dr removed a bit of endo, but everything looks healthy & tubes are clear!
    May 2014- First medicated cycle, 2.5mg femara+TI; BFN
    June 2014- 2.5mg femara + hCG + IUI
    on 6/18= BFP on 6/28!; C/P on 7/3
    July 2014- 2.5mg femara + IUI #2 on 7/18. Starting progesterone 7/23, bfn
    August 2014- 2.5mg femara + hCG + IUI # 3 on 8/15. BFN
    Tx break
    IVF #1 -
    12/1 - TOT & SIS- RE found a polyp
    12/15 - Hysterscopic surgery to remove the polyp; additional polyps found and removed

12/29- Good baseline u/s, 12 antral follies
    12/30- Started stimming
    1/10 - ER: 17 retrieved, 14 fertilized!
      My Ovulation Chart - No data,  just meds
  • Options
    RseedRseed member
    edited February 2014
    My secret is loose powder eyeliner! I apply with a thin, soft brush. I blend it to soften for daytime. I line my eyes then use it to fill in my eyebrows. But you have to get the heavily pigmented stuff... I use Bare Essentials "Patio Party" (very dark brown with a gold shimmer)

I have this! And I used to use it all the time. Worked great. I have to go back to that, now I use gel liner mostly but I get bored.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"