Preemies

Loud (not really) sounds

Our LO seems to be overly sensitive to louder sounds. I thought it was something he would sort of grow out of but he's 7+ months now and it almost seems like it's getting worse. When there is a loud noise he will throw his hands up in the air and let out a quick yell. If the noise continues he will shake his arms, yell continuously and eventually start crying. Examples of noises: paper bags, packing tape, wrapping paper, etc .... Unwrapping presents at Christmas upset him a lot, we actually stopped until he went to sleep and then opened quietly. But today my DH was simply grabbing his carrots out of a ziploc sandwich bag and it upset our LO. 

Anyone have this same experience? I don't know if he just has super sensitive hearing or maybe there is an underlying issue that I should be bringing up to our pedi.

TIA
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU

Re: Loud (not really) sounds

• Hmm, we've experienced this a little. Anna used to cry at every loud noise (ex: sneezes) but now she usually only does it if she is asleep or near-asleep and is startled. I find that it helps if she's right in the action, i.e. she might get upset if DH uses the food processor when she's nursing, but not if I'm holding her and she's watching.

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Kelly_12Kelly_12 member
    edited February 2014
    I notice our guy still jumps at noises a lot too. Not to the point of crying but you can see he's a bit scared sometimes or very startled at least. But its not always...same as PP mentioned I can run the baby bullet if he can see me with it, but if he can't see it then he cries from the noise. However, that's much louder than opening a ziploc bag...
    I'd def bring it up to your pedi, but at the same time I wouldn't be overly worried about it. He's just very aware of his surroundings ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. I think I'll mention it at our next appt but not going to worry about it. It's reassuring to know he's not the only one that does this.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Missa_gMissa_g member
    edited February 2014
    My youngest twin was very sensitive to noises until right around their first birthday. I think to a point it can definitely be totally normal, but don't hesitate to mention it to his doctor just to be sure.

I vividly remember an incident right before their first birthday where my husband was getting out a new trash bag and putting it on the can. He swooshed it and it made a loud noise. J started hard core baby belly laughing and S whimpered. My husband did it again and J continued to giggle while S melted down into tears and took five minutes to calm down with lots of hugs and kisses. It really drove home for me that every baby is different. So your son very well might be a more sensitive kid like my S and other kids you meet might be more like my J. Both can be totally "normal".
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Thanks ladies!!!! This totally makes sense. It really seems to be more of a startle than anything. And I think if it were a hearing sensitivity, it would happen more often. That being said, I will mention it to our pedi just to see what he thinks.

imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"