July 2014 Moms

Are Clif and Luna bars ok while pregnant?

Oh man, researching one issue I came across another I didn't even realize was an issue. I've been eating Clif and Luna bars occasionally for extra protein. One day that was all I had to eat because I was super busy. I cramped that night but really think it was because I'd also had little water and was dehydrated - especially since rehydrating took away the cramping. Still, in the back of my mind I wondered if the protein bars had something to do with it as well. Recently I've noticed they have soy as a main ingredient - something I've been trying to avoid since pregnant since I discovered soy is so bad for you unless it's already fermented. Now I come across comments that the overload of vitamins in Clif and Luna bars can also be too much while pregnant. Ugh! They need a warning on their labels. This is my first paranoid mom moment, but I have to ask, anybody eat an abundance of Clif and Luna bars while pregnant on a previous pregnancy and have everything be ok? Anybody think they're perfectly fine? Obviously, there's nothing I can do now except toss out the bag of Clif and Luna bars I have left, which I will do. But now I'm having a freak out moment. And yes I'll ask my midwife when I see her next. Although she was insistent I get enough protein since I wasn't eating any meat for awhile due to adversion, which is why I bought and started eating the darn things in the first place.

Re: Are Clif and Luna bars ok while pregnant?

• You should be fine to eat them just don't make them the only thing you eat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• You should be fine.  I make homemade luna bars which you can do if you are worried about the ingredients.  They are really easy to make. 

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • They're ok in moderation, as others have said make sure you eat something besides them though! The reason the high vitamin and mineral content is a problem is due to the fact that your kidneys will have to work overtime to excrete them. I would try to stay away from soy but it shouldn't pose a problem if you're only consuming it every so often.
  • When I wasn't feeling too hot, I ate Clif Builders bars - chocolate mint, if that matters.  They're fine.
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just.. I can't.
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • They are fine to eat. If they were dangerous for a pregnant woman to eat and caused miscarriages, they would have a warning label on it, and you'd probably have to sign a waiver at the grocery store stating you weren't pregnant so they wouldn't get sued.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• You're fine. Why would you throw them away?! If you are, send em this way! They are fine, you just shouldn't use them as meal substitutes. No need for a warning label.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• JMCB09 said:
    Were they sprinkled with crack? Injected with heroin? Soaked in alcohol? No? Okay then.

I want to know where to get these mystical nombars.  I hear the first one's always free?
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • I think your cramping was due to lack if food and dehydration. Luna bars were handed out at my Childbirth class when I was pregnant with DS1.
  • For cereal?

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• I sure hope they are okay because I eat a Clif bar everyday for breakfast. I guess I had never worried about them or really even thought about it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I feel like i have time traveled back to 1st Tri!
    imageimage
  • @megpio thanks for the explanation. I've also heard too much vitamin A can be bad for baby too.

@ghostof5letters haha! I realized somebody would call out my worst paranoid pregnancy dramatic moment ;) .

Sounds like they are overall fine. I still threw them out since I'm paranoid plus I noticed they have soy in them, and I don't want to do anything but fermented soy. Either way, it will make me try harder to get protein from whole food sources instead of falling back on protein bars.
  • @pinksundrops Yes, excessive vitamin A intake can cause certain defect problems but only in high doses. So the take home from that is to stay away from sources with a high concentration of vitamin A for example organ meats such as liver!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"