Babies: 3 - 6 Months

5 month old sleep/feeding schedule?

What is your 5 month old sleeping/feeding schedule like?  My baby is almost 5 months has always napped in his swing and has been sleeping in the bassinett in our room.  I have also nursed him to sleep and want him to learn to self-soothe himself to sleep.  I really want to get him sleeping in the crib in his room and on a more structured schedule.  Just curious what schedule is working for you?  

Re: 5 month old sleep/feeding schedule?

• My LO is 4 mo 3 wks.  I pretty much let him guide his schedule.  We transitioned from the swing to the crib this week.  He has done great.  He was sleeping from 8:30-9 to 2 am.  He took a bottle and back down until 6.  Now......He goes down around 7-8.  Wakes at 11 bottle....down...up at 3 or 4 bottle....back down until 6:30.  Wearing me out!  Hopefully it's a growth spurt.  :)  Love him though.
  • I tried giving my daughter a schedule. It was horrible. We were waking every hour. This lasted 2 months. I just started letting her tell me what she wants, when she wants. She is still adjusting to this change, but I can tell she is happier. And we sleep more. 
    imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I never really had a "schedule" with either one. I waited for patterns to emerge and then followed their cues. My little guy is still all over the place but I am beginning to see more of a pattern. He goes down for the night at 7:30. Feeds 3-4 times a night, other random wake-ups (he is a terrible sleeper) up by 6:30-7 for the day. He feeds around 8-9 then it is every 3 hours through out the day. Naps, HA! Let them set their schedule and it will be far less frustrating to you in the end. Good Luck!
  • My baby is on a schedule and he just kind of fell into it with some tweaks based on when we have to be at daycare, DD's schedule, etc.  Before you try to impose a totally parent-led schedule, record your LOs feedings, sleep periods, and active periods throughout the day.  You may see he has his own schedule already... then you can tweak it from there.  Gradually adjust timings of feedings and naps. One way to start is to wake at a set time every day.  If his current schedule shows he's ready for a nap after two hours after he wakes up, then you know to put him down for a nap about two hours after your scheduled wake time.  As for nursing to sleep, you may just need to ease him into a new bedtime routine so he develops sleep cues that don't involve nursing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO is five months + one week old and goes to bed in his room, in his crib, between 7 and 7:30pm (generally), with one wake-up between 2 and 4am (generally) to nurse. He wakes up for the day between 6 and 7am (generally). He just sort of fell into this schedule at around three months old. I nurse him right before bed, so he's pretty much asleep when I put him down, although once in awhile he'll be drowsy but awake. I need to start working on that!

His naps are still pretty unpredictable but we're starting to notice some trends. Like he'll start rubbing his eyes 1.5 to 2 hours after he wakes up in the morning, so we now know he's due for one at around that time. He'll (generally) have one long nap of an hour or two and a couple of shorter cat naps at some point during the day – no schedule there, yet. He'll nap either in a swing or in his pack n' play (both are out in the living room).
    Baby boy born 08-22-2013!
  • ugh, we're trying to adjust our LO's schedule - I'll start at night b/c that's the main problem lately.

He gets a bottle (we're FF) at 6pm and usually falls asleep during it but will finish.  Dream feed at 10pm, which he sleeps through.  He sleeps until about 4am, not hungry just AWAKE!  He gets hungry at 5:15 and usually falls asleep with that bottle for about two hours.  Then it's a mad dash for another bottle, change, and off to daycare.  Bottle at 10am, nap from 12 - 2, bottle at 2pm, and here's the problem - NO NAP - then bottle at 6pm.

I'm trying to force an afternoon nap on him from 3-5, hoping to keep him up to 7:30 / 8 will avoid the 4am wakeup. 

This is a change, as he used to go until 6am.  I'm hoping it's a phase!

• DD was 5 mos yesterday.
    Wakes around 945 am
    Bottle at 10
    Nap around 11:30/12
    Bottle at 2
    Nap at 3/3:15
    Bottle at 6
    Nap at 745
    Bottle at 10
    Sleep by 1030
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He is 4 mo, our schedule clicked at 5 weeks. Have changed awake times a little since he can handle longer ones. Our day starts between 7-7:30 everyday. It's good to be consistent there. Growth spurts can change the day, but for the most part it looks like this .

7:00 feed, play
    8:30 nap

10:00 feed, play
    11:30 nap

1:00 feed, play
    2:30 nap

4:00 feed, play
    5:30 cat nap

6:30- feed play, bath
    8:00 bedtime

10:00 dream feed

He is EBF and STTN
  • @shannoncorrin, how do you dream feed? I'm curious..
  • I feed him without waking him. He wakes a little but falls right back to sleep. When he is in pretty deep sleep we change his dipe with lights very low and we don't talk to him. He gets snuggled right back to bed after. Usually doesn't wake up until 7am.
  • Some don't even change the diaper, but I don't want him sitting with dirty dipe that long
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"