Postpartum Depression
Options

I don't like my baby

I don't know if it's ppd, do others sometimes dislike their own child? I mean I love her and I go through the motions of keeping her alive but sometimes I just don't feel anything. I feel terrible because I feel this way. I guess I just need some advice and maybe to not feel like I'm the only one going through this.

Re: I don't like my baby

• Options
    Thank you. It is definitely a new experience being a FTM. We have good days and bad I just need to have more good ones. My baby is happy and healthy and that gets me through the rough spots.
  • Options
    Honestly, this is completely normal. I have days that I feel like I don't like my LO. Sometimes I think my life is over. I get spit up on, peed on, and I now love for my son. There is virtually no time for me. Sure, that'll make anyone feel like they don't like their child. when he had a bad reaction to his vaccines and started crying hysterically, I realized I love him. I was so worried about him. Sometimes exhaustion can make ppl feel differently.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know if it's ppd, do others sometimes dislike their own child? I mean I love her and I go through the motions of keeping her alive but sometimes I just don't feel anything. I feel terrible because I feel this way. I guess I just need some advice and maybe to not feel like I'm the only one going through this.

Nope - you're not the only one going through this at all.  For months after my son was born I didn't feel anything for him.  It was bizarre - almost like he was adopted - like he was a stranger.
        For months the feelings of dislike turned into resentment because of how much our lives had been upended..... and one day my wife and I were discussing things and I just broke down into tears.  He is my son and  I dont even like him.
        but slowly after awhile I did start to feel a connection.  For me it is getting better but it's taken a lot longer than I ever expected it would.  Then he cries for two days straight and it's pushed back a bit more
  • Options
    Thank you for your honesty! It takes a lot to admit that. You are definitely not alone. Don't be afraid to talk about it. Of course to the right person who will not judge you. If you could talk to a counsellor or a therapist I would really recommend it. It doesn't mean you're a bad mom, but it could be really helpful to have a sounding board and someone to validate your feelings in a safe space.

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"