March 2013 Moms

wish list?

How would you feel about receiving a 1st birthday invitation and on it says "------ has a wish list at toys r us." Would you find this helpful or rude?

Re: wish list?

• Personally I find it helpful as a guide. I know that we made one for Christmas though and it was more of a nightmare than it was worth. My mil didn't understand how it worked, then kept coming up with all these creative stories about toys r us being out of things so she was forced to buy it at target instead of just admitting it's cheaper. I would say to make the list but don't include it in the invite. If someone rsvp'd and said "what would ____ like?" Then refer them to the list.
  • Honestly I wouldn't put that on the invite unless everyone you know is really laid back on etiquette. If you want to make the wish list then I'd use it how the pp said- if/when people ask. Personally, I always ask people what they want because I don't want to give them sh they don't need, so I'd find a list helpful. :)
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I included this in my son's invite because of 2 reasons. 1. When Christmas came around, not a single person asked what he needed, and he got a lot of toys he doesn't have any interest in and clothes that were 3 times too small and 2. For his christening less then 25% of people did not RSVP but showed up and some people RSVPed but did not show and I ended up spending $500 in people who didn't show. My son's father's family does not RSVP, they have always been like that, I find it really rude. So I figured by including it in the invite my son might actually get some useful things.
  • Oh and his godparents asked me to take the Wagon off the wishlist because they went ahead and purchased it off Amazon for a better price because they are Prime members and they didn't want anyone to see it and purchase it also. I thought that was a great idea. They saved money but yet I was still able to put it on the purchase list to show people it was already bought. They thought the wishlist was a great idea because they know how family just buys a bunch of crap and they will only buy the useful stuff if you tell them to. I don't want to verbally tell people what to buy but I thought the wishlist would point them in the right direction.
  • If asked, I wouldn't mind sharing with relatives that you've made a wish list but I wouldn't put it on the invite and maybe it's a regional/ social standard of my area, etc but I would be a clutching my pearls if I saw it on an invite!

But so long as you're aware of what's accepted etiquette wise in your circle/ area you should be fine.
  • I wouldn't include it but if people ask feel free to share.  Honestly since he got so much stuff at Christmas I hope they want to contribute to his college fun or diapers or books.
  • I find it's the new normal. The first time I saw it, I was iffy about the idea. But most stores and websites have wish lists

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would only share it if asked.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I also find it helpful as guest though would probably only share if asked for DS birthday. Kinda hard to share if people don't rsvp though.
  • That is why I wrote it on the invites...if people don't RSVP then I have no way of telling them. I honestly don't care if people find it tacky, I find it no different then a baby shower or engagement or wedding registry. Why is it okay to register for a $200 pillow (and yes I had a friend who registered for this in her invite) or a $400 piece of crystal but I can't simply make a wish list just to help people out? Lol I am just wondering why one party is acceptable but not another?
  • Jerzee17 said:

Lol I am just wondering why one party is acceptable but not another?

Because a wedding shower showers the bride to be with gifts to prepare for the beginning of marriage and a baby shower showers the parents to be with gifts to prepare them or te beginning of a new life. A birthday, no matter how exciting ( first bday, etc) is just a birthday.

• To Jerzee....you can do what you want, we are just sharing our thoughts as well.  
  • Lol no. .. no one have me a hard time. I am just interested in knowing more about this. Sorry, I wasn't being mean if that is what anyone thought. ..I know sometimes reading these come across in a different tone then intended.
  • I don't think you were being mean, you just seemed really upset..lol.  Must have read into it.  I just meant I read what others say and still end up doing what I want anyway..lol.
  • We're crossing our fingers that everyone got the hint when we said we had more than enough toys and clothes to fill up a small store.

If someone asks I have a couple ideas of things that might be fun/useful, but not to the point of making a wishlist. I just wish there was a polite way to tell people not to bring gifts but there isn't and if it makes them happy then who am I to say no?

As far as receiving an invitation mentioning a wishlist, I would be taken aback but would consider it when purchasing a gift, mostly for sizes of clothes and styles of toys. I think a phone call is better, even if not to RSVP, just to inquire about what to buy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"