March 2014 Moms
Options

Confused. Tissue VS blood banking

I banked my DD's cord blood with viacord 3 years ago, now they apparently offer tissue banking as well. It's quite a bit more expensive to do both and I figured its only fair to do the same for baby #2 that we did for #1. But the guy was saying that tissue, unlike blood can be shared with both kids and it can heal more diseases than blood can.

The main thing I've always wanted to be "insured" for is (congenital) heart disease as its so big in my DH's family and in a structural way which makes me think tissue could be valuable.

Now, it was very clear to me that this guy is a fast talking salesman so I'm trying to get the facts before I make any decisions. Please share your knowledge with me?!

Re: Confused. Tissue VS blood banking

• Options
    rubylovebugrubylovebug member
    edited February 2014
    From my research, we've decided against tissue banking.

As far as I'm aware (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, although I think my CBR paperwork also says this), at this time, there is no known use for cord tissue.  HOWEVER, that is not to say there won't be a use in the future - I believe they're doing a lot of research on it & hoping to find beneficial uses for cord tissue, but at this point they don't have anything concrete.

For us, since there are (limited) uses to cord blood banking available right now, we decided it was worth it for blood but not tissue.  It's a personal decision, and scientific advances are made everyday.  But for us, we decided to it wasn't worth the extra money at this time.  

ETA: wording

September '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance!   

BFP 11/18/14 ~ EDD 7/26/15 ~ MC 11/27/14

image            image
                          Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                              

• Options
    We're planning to donate cord blood to a public bank but they haven't mentioned anything about tissue banking, FWIW.  Maybe it's not mainstream enough yet?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

From my research, we've decided against tissue banking.

As far as I'm aware (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, although I think my CBR paperwork also says this), at this time, there is no known use for cord tissue.  HOWEVER, that is not to say there won't be a use in the future - I believe they're doing a lot of research on it & hoping to find beneficial uses for cord tissue, but at this point they don't have anything concrete.

For us, since there are (limited) uses to cord blood banking available right now, we decided it was worth it for blood but not tissue.  It's a personal decision, and scientific advances are made everyday.  But for us, we decided to it wasn't worth the extra money at this time.  

ETA: wording

It's so much money, I have a lot of reservations about this. But like you said who knows what will happen in the future? Things have already advanced in 3 years in that they're actually collecting it.

The financial commitment is big - almost $300/year storage VS the $125 on my DD's. but then again, we spend $ on other forms of insurance that we likely won't use.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"