High-Risk Pregnancy

Terbutaline

Does anyone know how many times (if there's a limit at all) that doctors can give you terbutaline to stop your contractions? I know you can get 3 doses of it in one visit, I'm just wondering if there's a max number of times they can stop your labor/contractions with it. I've had multiple l&d visits in the past month and 2 of them I needed terbutaline to stop my contractions, my most recent trip (Friday) I needed 2 doses and still had some contractions after, I just couldn't feel them (lucky me?).

I have an OB appointment today to get my Makena/p17 shot and plan to ask her. But thought maybe someone else might have some idea or experience. Thanks!

Re: Terbutaline

• Not sure, but there are other things you can take at home regularly for preterm contractions. I'm on nifedipine and its working well for me. Something to ask about maybe? They also have other inpatient options like magnesium and indomethacin, so I wouldn't worry too much about hitting a "limit" on the doses.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • I had a 2/3 dose of terbutaline with my last pregnancy with DD in 12/12.  This time around when I went into PTL, my OBs said they've stopped using terbutaline all together because of some recent studies released that showed a higher incidence of negative side effects on the baby than previously indicated. They've switched to a magnesium sulfate (I think?) treatment instead.  

I think some hospitals will still use Terbutaline on a one-off basis if other things aren't working, but I'd be really wary of repetitive doses.  The NIH now recommends against using it altogether because of the possible side effects on both you and the baby:

It specifies that the oral terbutaline should not be used at all for PTL and that the injected form should only be used in the most extreme circumstances and not for more than 48-72 hours.

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My ptl issues from DS #1 back in 2009 I took the oral terbutaline to help keep my contractions at bay. Obviously as pp posted the times have changed, but I used to take the oral form every 3-4 hours for 8 weeks while on bedrest.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• My ptl issues from DS #1 back in 2009 I took the oral terbutaline to help keep my contractions at bay. Obviously as pp posted the times have changed, but I used to take the oral form every 3-4 hours for 8 weeks while on bedrest.
    I was given the first shot but my heart rate wouldn't stay down for the next dosage. I was only given it once even though I had multiple trips to L&D. I was then placed on oral pills from 30 week to 37 weeks. I came out of work a week later and he came at 38.5 weeks after my water broke on its own. I should've been on bed rest while taking that medicine. It had bad side effects I had from it.

I started having contractions yesterday at 25 weeks now and will have u/s's to check cervical length next week and frequently. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"