September 2012 Moms

Coconut Oil, Breastmilk or Neosporin?

Colby has these sores all over his face and hands. The Pedi saw him today and said it was some sort of staph (but not infection) or maybe HF&M. He didnt really give a set diagnosis but said to put neosporin on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. He also has like 6 teeth coming in so his hands are all in his mouth. I'm really nervous to use neosporin on it. I have Breastmilk and Coconut Oil on hand, but I'm not really sure what to use? I know,I should have asked the Pedi, I was just overwhelmed and not processing the fact that whatever I put on it is going to end up in his mouth.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Coconut Oil, Breastmilk or Neosporin?

• Poor guy! I'm no help but I'm guessing I would definitely try the coconut oil or BM first.

• I would do coconut oil for now. If the facial sores turn into a golden crust, it might be impetigo. For that, you can get an Rx ointment called Mupirocin.

Keep an eye on the inside of his mouth, though. If you see the sores pop up in there, it's probably HFM.

The same exact thing happened to DS around this age. He had a sore on the corner of his mouth & we got the ointment for impetigo.  But then a few days later he got sores in his mouth, lost his appetite, etc & the diagnosis changed to HFM.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you @bosha711! The doctor was throwing around the word impetigo as well, I had never heard of it. He was diagnosed with strep throat a few days ago (tested positive) and like I said, he is teething like crazy so he is kind of a mess.

• Thank you @bosha711! The doctor was throwing around the word impetigo as well, I had never heard of it. He was diagnosed with strep throat a few days ago (tested positive) and like I said, he is teething like crazy so he is kind of a mess.
    poor baby =(

If I remember correctly, impetigo can be caused by the strep bacteria - like if they have a runny nose, and they wipe it with their hands, or it drips down their face - that's how the rash would break out on their skin.

• bosha711 said:

Thank you @bosha711! The doctor was throwing around the word impetigo as well, I had never heard of it. He was diagnosed with strep throat a few days ago (tested positive) and like I said, he is teething like crazy so he is kind of a mess.
    poor baby =(

If I remember correctly, impetigo can be caused by the strep bacteria - like if they have a runny nose, and they wipe it with their hands, or it drips down their face - that's how the rash would break out on their skin.

Makes sense. He is drooling like crazy because of the teeth. Ugh. Hopefully I can keep it all clean, I washed him up with mild soap and water and put coconut oil on him before bed. Tylenol for the fever and teething. Hope he sleeps ok! Thank you for your help!

• No help here - but that sounds rough. Feel better soon, C. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"