March 2014 Moms

Who's cutting the cord?

edited February 2014 in March 2014 Moms
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Who's cutting the cord?

• aLsMay24aLsMay24 member
    edited February 2014
    DH. He delivered and cut DS cord with the help of our ob and it will hopefully be the same for us just the help of a mw this time.
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • Unless for some reason i have to have a CS my H will be cutting it
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DH unless there is a medical reason he can't.
  • DH will cut the cord (hopefully).

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • We haven't really talked about it specifically, but DH has been pretty inclined to stay by my head and away from the "action." I think the OB unless DH is suddenly interested in the moment.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I want DH to, but, he'd probably pass out! He can gut a deer all day long, but any human needles, or bodily fluid like stuff makes him really weak!! 
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Haha, last time the doctor made Mh cut the cord! He will probably do it again this time.

• I guess the doctor, DH said no way he would probably pass out anyways !!!

Married  : ** 09/09/2011  ** BFP : 07-18-13 ** Baby #1 is a GIRL , Born 03/12/14 ** 
    ** BFP 2 :  01- 05-15 ** EDD 09-11-15 **

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickers

Baby S 2. Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm having a C/S and like last time, that means the ob cuts it because they have to keep the surgical site sterile. But they can leave extra cord on so that once baby is taken over to the table, DH gets to cut it. It's not the real deal but its an experience, kind of a ceremonial thing I guess.
  • We haven't really talked about it specifically, but DH has been pretty inclined to stay by my head and away from the "action." I think the OB unless DH is suddenly interested in the moment.
    Ditto.

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• We're going to wait and see. MH isn't sure how he'll feel about it in the moment. The MW will offer him the chance, and if he doesn't want to, that's chill with me and the MW will do it.

Same plan with catching, too.
  • I'm guessing DH.  He did it last time, even with the c/s.  If he is allowed to this time I'm sure he will do it again.  If not, then whoever.  I didn't get to see him do it last time anyway.

• I want my husband to catch the baby. I mean come on, he did deliveries during med school/internship. However, he wants the midwife to catch the baby since "they have all the experience and knowledge." But he will be cutting the cord. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

My Third Tri Feelings
  • I want my DH to do it but he isn't sure he wants to lol. So I guess we will see if he ends up doing it or not. It's not something I would force on him if he really doesn't want to do it......BUT in my mind, all I'm going through to get this baby out, the least he could do is cut her cord??? :P
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • DH will. He said no last time and the OB just handed him the scissors and said cut. It was really cute and funny. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm having a C/S and like last time, that means the ob cuts it because they have to keep the surgical site sterile. But they can leave extra cord on so that once baby is taken over to the table, DH gets to cut it. It's not the real deal but its an experience, kind of a ceremonial thing I guess.

This is what happened with my delivery. DH was leaving it up in the air as a game time decision because it kinda creeped him out, but I think it was really special for him.
  • I'd like Husband to, if not I'm sure my mom will JUMP at the chance. In the event I've kicked her out of the delivery room, I'm sure my Dr will get to. That's what I'm paying him the big bucks for, right?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• With our 1st, DH was so against doing it, the midwife basically put him on the spot to do it. But after getting to cut the cord twice I don't see why he wouldn't. He likes to tell people he delivered the babies, I guess the cord cutting qualifies him to say this...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Daddy did the last 2 times and I assume he will again unless there is some sort of emergency or problem.

~*Christine*~ TTC #1 with PCOS since September 2005. 8 rounds of clomid- 4 HSG- 3 failed IUI's HSG 11/16 showed no fill in right tube-First RE visit 4/12/07 (my 26th b-day)started injectables with IUI- 75 IU's of Follistim- increased to 100 IU's- HCG 5/4/07 - IUI on 5/6 BFN 5/21 Increased Follistim to 125 IU's tested again 6/18 BFN & AF showed up. Last IUI before starting IVF 6/30/07 ******BFP 7/14/07,7/15/07 & positive blood test 7/16/07****** Our little Bean was due Easter Sunday, 2008 (March 23rd) Kaitlyn Jean arrived 1 week late 3/30/08 7lb 10.5oz 20" perfect! Myla Grace was our little gift, BFP first month off the pill arrived on her due date 12/16/10 BFP number three August 4, 2013 Due March 27, 2014

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (IgP9)

Lilypie - (LMHF)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My hubby is soooo not interested in cutting the chord. My mom will be there so she might want to. My DH is totally weirded out by the notion. Oh well, I don't mind who does it.
  • My H wanted to do it so bad with the first - his dad is a surgeon and he grew up doing his homework in the OR observation rooms. He is not at all creeped out by blood or guts. It didn't work out and I know he was disappointed not to catch or cut the core. With this one we are so up in the air about everything that we haven't even talked about it. If the opportunity presents, I'm sure he will catch and cut.
  • laurendomlaurendom member
    edited February 2014

I honestly cannot remember, but I feel like DH was eventually coaxed into doing it lol.

So assuming he isn't out of state when I have the baby, I guess him again, if not maybe my mom?

DD - Lucia Alessandra 6/18/12  ~~~  Welcoming Baby Boy!! - 3/26/14

• I was actually pleasantly surprised that my H wants to cut the cord.  For everything else, he is all about holding my hand and staying at my head.  He's pretty freaked out by the whole delivery thing but this is something he wants to be a part of.  

• MH says he doesn't want to. He's not good with needles and blood and stuff. My neighbor's husband was the same way, but the doctor talked him into cutting the cord in the moment. We will be at the same hospital with the same doctor, so I guess I'll just wait and see!
  • My h, then he abandons me to have science time with the midwife.

This. My hubs will most likely do the same! I'm hoping they let him help deliver as well but it's a military hospital with residents out the butt and I'm active duty so I really don't get much say in what happens.

BabyName Ticker}
  • Hopefully DH. With DS, they had to get him over to the table and work on him in a hurry, so DH didn't get to cut it.  Hopefully things will be more relaxed this time and DH can do it.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I guess I just assumed that DH would want to cut it, I guess I'd better ask him.
  • MH says he's undecided but I'd be shocked if he did it, he's unbelievably squeamish for someone who hacks up dead animals in our garage every year.  When I told him that yes I want LO to do skin to skin immediately, before a bath, I thought he was going to vomit.  In all honesty I won't be surprised at all if he faints or has to leave the delivery room before she comes out.
  • DH will likely do the cutting.
    DD will also be there, so maybe we should talk to her about it too. She might want to do it this time.

:-?
  • DH wants nothing to do with it, so the OB will cut it :)

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • DH cut it for the last two, but I was thinking it might be cool to cut it myself this time. I don't know how dh would feel about though as it's kind of a dad thing generally :)
    imageimage 
  • Last time DH was undecided until it came down to it. Like PP, mh can do anything with animals he wants but I had to tell him to keep himself by my head or he probably would have fainted lol.
    Dr asked and he was still uncertain, so I asked my dad if he would like to do it. That kicked DH in to gear and he did it himself. It grossed him out how tough it was to cut through. We had no idea!
  • DH. He cut my son's and almost passed out but it was because he mistakenly looked over at me while my placenta was being pulled out. He won't make that mistake again!
  • My H will cut it if possible.
    I cut my sisters. Her H was like "no thanks". I can say it is a very strange feeling, not what I expected
  • DH will. With DD he was determined to "stay up by my head and not look" but when we were actually in the moment, he had no issues watching the whole birth and he was holding one of my feet. He said it was nothing like he expected!
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH. Provided he's there. The doc cut DD's cord since DH didn't make it there in time.
    Bubba, born Jan. 2007 * Sissy, born Apr. 2009 * Baby Sister, born Feb. 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"