May 2014 Moms
Options

Yoga vs. Prenatal Yoga

I've been having trouble keeping up with my usual workouts of jogging, eliptical, arc trainer, etc. due to some really persistent round ligament pain. I thought I'd give Yoga a shot, but haven't done it in a few years. My gym only offers regular Yoga classes, but no Prenatal Yoga classes. Anyone have an idea how different the two are? I'm hoping to not have to go to an outside place to pay for Prenatal Yoga classes since my gym offers regular Yoga classes for free with my membership. I'm assuming I could just modify poses in the regular Yoga class and be alright?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Yoga vs. Prenatal Yoga

• Options
    I've been going to a regular yoga class and modifying it with the teacher. Honestly I'd really prefer to take a prenatal yoga class instead, if I could afford it. They're ridiculously expensive right around me. I don't think I get as much out of the regular yoga classes, but then again I've never taken the prenatal class.

Not sure if that helps at all. :/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I posted about this a while back and most people said regular yoga modified as necessary would be fine. I've stuck with prenatal though after realizing my local yoga place closed. In my prenatal class we pretty much do a lot of typical yoga stuff with some slight modifications.

I also got a prenatal yoga dvd by gaiam that has modifications for each trimester.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A lot of the poses are similar but with modifications to take into account the size of your bump and the change in your centre of gravity. Nothing that requires lying flat on your back and no rigorous abdominal twists. Also an increased focus on strengthening the back and the muscles of the lower body.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ ns1 I'll search for your old post. I should've started there!

I was trying to remember how much you're laying flat on your back and also was trying to remember how often you lay on your stomach. It's been so long since I've done yoga. Maybe I'll try one of the gentle yoga classes at my gym and see if I can modify.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    At this point and size I would definitely not enroll in a regular yoga class without talking to the instructor first. I was able to do regular yoga for quite some time but no more. Modifications have become necessary. Like some PP have said, you may find an instructor who a) knows the modifications and b) is willing to take the time to explain them to you during class. If not, there are always videos. Might I suggest that you invest in a couple of the prenatal classes first though? The experience of a hands on instructor is invaluable, and a little bit can go a long way.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    I was a regular yogi before pregnancy and I have tried to keep to my regular schedule, but in my flow classes I have started to modify a lot (luckily I have awesome instructors that help me out). I started going back to the "yoga fundamentals" class my studio offers which is really just super-beginners yoga. It's a bit slow-paced for my taste, but since it's a lot of really new people and older people the instructor gives a lot more modifications and I feel more comfortable taking some time to get modifications for things. But again, I was a 3-times a week yoga person before I got pregnant.

I'm think this week or next be my last regular flow class, I just can't keep up the pace anymore, so I'll be down to 2 classes per week, fundamentals and restorative.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    One of the things that I was warned by my prenatal yoga teacher as far as continuing in the regular classes at the same time, was not to do a lot of bends with my head down below my heart or inversions if you aren't already used to them, especially.  I take a prenatal class at a studio, then go the class at my YMCA twice a week.  The teacher at the Y was very quick to point out that she has no training in prenatal, but she was ok once I told her I had already discussed modifications with someone who was.
  • Options
    It sounds to me like the prenatal class might be a safer bet for me at this point. I looked online and found a studio nearby, so I'll find out the costs and may check a class out. It's probably best to wait to go back to regular yoga classes until after DS is here.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ns1 said:
    I posted about this a while back and most people said regular yoga modified as necessary would be fine. I've stuck with prenatal though after realizing my local yoga place closed. In my prenatal class we pretty much do a lot of typical yoga stuff with some slight modifications. I also got a prenatal yoga dvd by gaiam that has modifications for each trimester.
    I have this one too and I love it.  Also got prenatal yoga/lamaze DVD by Yoga Journal and it feels like it's too all over the place for me.  Definitely go with gaiam.  
  • Options
    I live in the DC area and I can attest to the fact that prenatal yoga in the studio is wicked expensive. I was lucky enough that an instructor at my local gym talked to me after my normal yoga class and she said she teaches at a local church once a week and its FREE. I jumped on that boat. I can tell a huge difference in the classes and its really nice to be with a group of women who all feel fat and like their bodies won't move like they used to - look around at community centers/churches for free or low-cost classes. Good luck!

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• Options
    I found a 12 week prenatal yoga class at a nearby hospial ($60).  This is not where I plan to deliver, but it is conveniently located within 5 minutes from my work.  The weekly classes are different then any other yoga class I have been to (Bikram, Vinyassa, and Hatha).  I have found that my hip pain and lower back pain improve a ton after class.  The instructor starts with tai chi, then we move into Sun salutations that are different (i.e. no down dog, etc.).  She then moves on to balance, abs / oblique strengthening, arm strenghtening, and hip opening.  She ends with a meditation, though recommends anyone pregnant not lie on their back and has us lie on our sides.  I like being reminded of my posture...so easy to forget to stand straight with all this baby on my front side.  My class is taught by someone registered to teach prenatal yoga; that being said, there other women in the class that are not pregnant (so she makes recommendations for them as well).  I get just sore enough after a class that I feel like I got a work out, and I always leave feeling great. 

• Options
    I was taking regular yoga but started to find it really hard and uncomfortable to do certain positions. I started taking prenatal yoga and love it. Our teacher is a certified prenatal yoga teacher and focuses the class on strengthening our core yet also stretching arms, legs, back. She's very careful about positions. We don't lay on our backs, she has pillows and blocks that everyone can use based in where they are in their pregnancy.

It's been great and I feel lucky to have found a class- they are hard to find! If you don't have any around your area, I would ask your instructor
  • Options
    Whoops- it cut me off. Ask your instructor to modify your positions.
    I hope you find something you like! It's been great to be around other women expecting as well!!
  • Options
    What @veganlady said. (especially about checking on the qualifications of the instructor at a gym).

I take vinyasa yoga and prenatal at my studio. I ditched my more vigorous classes as I got bigger and added the prenatal which is very mellow in comparison but I do like it and think it has great benefits. There's a lot of breath work and relaxation. It's great if you're new to yoga, too.

But honestly, yoga in any form great! Prenatal or regular with modifications will do wonders for you and I can't promote the benefits of practicing enough. If the teacher at the gym is legit, go for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"