Baby Names

(Updated on Page 2) Baby Boy diagnosed with Trisomy 18, so we need a special name

alygoo615alygoo615 member
edited February 2014 in Baby Names
**Since this ended up being so long, I've bolded in case you don't want to read everything**
We found out the baby boy I am now 15 weeks pregnant was
diagnosed with Trisomy 18. Doctors view this to be not compatible with life. Although there are a handful of babies who will live longer (and the stats may differ by a few percentages), 95% of babies are not born alive, and only 10% of babies make it to their first birthday. We are absolutely devastated and want to come up with a name for him before he passes away, whether that's tomorrow or in a few years.

We definitely want to go biblical with this one, or at least a name with a very strong meaning. My husband's uncle died as an adult, but still too young so to honor him, we are considering the name Michael as a mn.

I love the name my husband suggested for its meaning, but after trying to let it grow on me, it hasn't. He suggested David Michael which together means beloved; close to God. David also works for us because this baby surprised us after the Red Sox won the World Series and David Ortiz is our favorite Red Sox player.

I'd like to use the name Michael as the middle name, but haven't fallen in love with the name David. David always seems like more of a mature name, and likely this baby will always be a baby or child. 

Other biblical names I quickly found (we aren't overly religious, but still want to go this route) are Eli, Gabriel, Nathan, and John (which is a family name that we'd use for a MN instead of Michael).

Definitely open to more ideas, sorry this was so long!
*TW* Losses Mentioned
9.6.12 - Crazy J entered the world

4.30.14 - Sweet Angel Micah John lost to T18 at 7 months pregnant
2.8.16 Miscarriage at 6 weeks
4.30.16 BFP *stick baby stick*

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

Re: (Updated on Page 2) Baby Boy diagnosed with Trisomy 18, so we need a special name

• Here's a long list of biblical names. I kind of like Amos, which means carried.

https://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/biblical

I am so, so sorry.

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry. My aunt lost a baby boy in utero so they named him Joey instead of Joseph because he would never grow up. I think Joey works in your situation as well or even if you just went with Davy. Again, so very sorry.

• I'm so sorry, this must be so difficult. I actually love David Michael. Gabriel Michael is nice too. All the best.
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Theodore means "gods gift"
  • Here's a long list of biblical names. I kind of like Amos, which means carried. https://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/biblical I am so, so sorry.
    Amos. 
  • im so sorry for you pain.

one of my favorite names is gabriel 

gabriel michael sounds lovely
  • David Michael is a very nice name. I am so sorry and praying for you and your family. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Isaiah as pp suggested. I think it means "God is salvation"

I also love Ezekiel which means "God strengthens".

Josiah, which means "God supports"

Levi, means attached in Hebrew, which could signify your son's unbreakable bond with his family.

So sorry you are dealing with this. Lots of thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
  • I am so sorry you are going through this. I like all the names you suggested. My sons name is John (Johnny ) I like The verse John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
  • I love the name David. He is my favorite biblical characters. He truly was a man after God's own heart and in his life he endured a tremendous amount of obstacles. Most of the psalms were written by him while he was under threat from Saul. He was anointed to lead the nations at a very young age and had a very humble heart and humble beginnings.  David also experienced the loss of a child.  Insearching for David and psalms I found this devotional dealing specifically with grief and psalms: https://www.raisingarrows.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Psalms-for-the-Grieving-Heart.pdf

Other names that I can think of are:

Benjamin means son of my sorrow.
    Jedidiah means loved by God
    I also love John as he was the frontrunner of Jesus. He came first to set the stage for Jesus so that he could be received as the messiah. John means graced by God.

I am so incredibly sorry that you are going through this :-(

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• So sorry for you. We had a trisomy 18 scare with this pregnancy and my heart breaks for all those who heard that devastating news. Of your choices, I really like Gabriel, the messenger angel from God, since your baby was sent to you from Him for some yet unknown reason. I also like Daniel, Benjamin, Joshua, Caleb, or Luke.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sending best wishes to you and your family.

I love David Michael, the sentiment is there.

Eli:  the offering, or lifting up
    Lucas:  luminous
    Paul:  small, little
    Zachary:  remembered by God
  • I'm so sorry. My first thought was Gabriel as well. I also really like David Michael.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Saul means asked for by God, Jude
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Im so sorry your going through this, i also love michael david,

Abram is also a wonderful name as pp mentioned
  • i love the name you chose so far- david michael. i think that is beautiful name for your baby boy. 

but i LOVE the name gabriel, too, especially since he will be your angel.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry you have to go thru this.  Davis Michael is lovely.

I was also going to suggest Matthew as a PP already did.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I am so sorry about this...

The first name I thought of was Isaiah Michael

• queenbonequeenbone member
    edited February 2014
    missjw26 said:
    Theodore means "gods gift"
    I agree. I used Theodore in part for Ted Williams, another Red Sox.

David Michael is lovely.

I'm sorry for your diagnosis. Peace to you on this journey. 
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry for this devastating news. I can't imagine what you are going through but I am hoping your little baby will make it to meet you. 

I think that David Michael is a beautiful name with personal and religious significance. Here are some other names that have special meaning for Christians... I may be wrong with some of the stories though because I have not read them in a long time and am not religious at all.

Adam - the first
    Elijah - Elijah was not afraid of death and had a lot of courage. 
    Daniel - Daniel came out without a scratch from a den of lions. Protected by god. 
    Samson - strong, dedicated to god by his mother from birth
    David - courageous against Goliath the giant

I think all of these have a good meaning to them. If it were up to me I would name a first son Adam (but I see you already have a son) and name this sweet baby boy Elijah or Daniel. David is nice too though. 

My thoughts are with you, I wish I could just give you a hug!
  • Love it! Beautiful meanings, many internet hugs to you and your family!
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love Daniel John & the meaning behind it.
  • You picked a beautiful name with so much meaning. Hugs to you and your famil
  • @alygoo that's a beautiful name. Continued prayers for you and your family.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• I'm so sorry to hear this news, I'll keep you in my prayers tonight. <3

I was going to suggest Zion. Psalm 50:2 - "Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God shines forth."

But I do love Daniel 'Danny" John.

I just watched this video a few days ago -
    Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)
  • David Michael is lovely.  I also love Samuel. 

I'm sorry you are going through all of this.  Prayers are with you and DH and that precious boy of yours.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I think you picked a wonderful name for your son. Daniel "Danny" John is a great name.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• I like Gabriel.  So sorry for what you are going though.
    Started Dating 08/15/2006 
    Got Engaged 12/11/2009 
    Married 09/4/2011
    Started TTC  09/2013
    BFP 10/13/2013
    EDD 06/22/2014

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Whatever name you choose will be lovely because you've put so much heart into it. My sincerest thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Married 9/17/11 BFP 10/5/13 DS Oliver Stephen born 6/11/14 via C-section 8 lbs 9 oz BFP 8/14/15
  • Daniel John is beautiful. I am so sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"