April 2013 Moms

Favorite newborn moment?

So I have a friend who is in the hospital RIGHT NOW having a baby. And even though I love my little guy SO much as he gets older and really has this sweet and spunky personality, part of me is definitely jealous. Maybe I'm a total freak, but I LOVED childbirth and I am so nostalgic for the newborn days. I am also so excited for my friend to finally get to meet her little girl after 40 long weeks! (I know her husband is so thrilled that she went into labor during the Superbowl, ha).

I can't stop thinking about my own experience going into the hospital and having R... and how sweet he was as a tiny newborn!

My first night in the hospital, we sent R to the nursery (don't judge)! I checked into the hospital on a Tuesday night, was awake literally all night in labor, had him noon on Wednesday, and got no sleep on Wednesday because of constant family coming in and out. Wednesday night we were so exhausted and could NOT get the baby  to sleep, so we finally let the nurse take him to the nursery. Since I was nursing, every three hours the nurse would wheel him back into my room so that I could nurse him. I just remember being so exhausted and bleary eyed, hearing the nurse coming in and thinking oh noo I have to wake up... but then I saw that sweet little tiny face and felt so excited about and in love with my new baby all over again. 

Also, we took a childbirth class at the hospital where they taught us how to swaddle, and for whatever reason, the swaddling thing REALLY stuck with my H. So watching him change those TINY newborn diapers and then swaddle the baby up (and show everyone else how to swaddle the baby up) was so sweet that I seriously thought my heart was going to melt.

What is your sweetest/favorite memory of the first few days (with your April baby or your older baby)?
Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
Rhys - born 04.17.2013
Harry - born 04.18.2016

Re: Favorite newborn moment?

• elbouelbou member
    edited February 2014
    You are not alone. I LOVED the newborn stage with all 3 of my kiddos! Some favourite memories included: watching how excited and proud MH was to become a dad for the first time...hearing about how he walked the halls all night with our baby girl so I could sleep that first night in the hospital...watching him change those teeny newborn diapers with hands that looked huge in comparison...the teeny tiny newborn diapers...that moment when LO had fallen asleep nursing, and just snuggled into my shoulder as I burped...those first half-smiles that everyone says are just gas...how they can barely open their eyes...how little they are...everything...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• So sweet! Part of me misses those days!

Every day, since starting when A was born, I would go to his room where he was sleeping/waking up and whisper "Good morning Alexander, it's mommy" he would try so hard to get his little eyes open. Now when I do it he's awake and gives me the biggest smile in the world. I love it!
  • Loading the player...
  • The newborn stage was hard for me, but of course I have some wonderful memories of those first few months.  I have a friend who is waiting to go into labor - she was due Friday - and I keep thinking about my own hospital experience with James, which had both good and bad parts. I'll skip the bad stuff, but the GOOD that I remember:

1) I actually loved the experience of being in labor with DH by my side.  Loved walking the halls holding his hand, him helping me sit down on the balance ball...he was really my doula and he did such an amazing job, and I'd never felt closer to another person before.

2) I ended up having an emergency c/s that resulted in being put under general anesthesia (ie, unconscious),because my epidural wouldn't work...as a result, DH was alone with LO for abotu an hour before I came to, and then -- although it was foggy-- DH got to "introduce" us, which was a very sweet memory.

3) Since I was laid up, DH did all the diaper changes and swaddling at first, the first bath, etc... I Hated missing it, but was moved to tears by what a good job he was doing and how well he took care of BOTH of us in those first days.

4) NO judgment here - we had LO room in with us the first night and quickly learned that if ANYBODY was going to get any sleep, he needed to go to the nursery.  So he went there the other nights... nurses came in every 3 hours to help me breastfeed him, and they were SO complimentary and boosted my confidence, they kept telling me I was doing such a good job and told me I was a breastfeeding pro -- they really boosted me up, which I DESPERATELY needed after things had gone so wonky.

5) I had some complications following the general anesthesia (horrible scary migraine the day we came home from hospital), and my husband and parents were just amazing,taking care of me and James. I was a wreck and very scared thinking I was having a stroke or something and who was going to care for this baby, and everybody really stepped up and took care of us. My mother, in particular,brought us lunch and dinner every single day that week and took care of laundry, housework, errands, etc.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Aw, I'm secretly a little jealous too. Had a baby shower for my cousin's gf last Saturday and got to feel her big belly. I miss it. The boy will be here in less than a month, I can't wait to hold him.

I remember in the middle of the night we had his first poopy diaper and SO took like 20 minutes changing it. Lol That was the first time we heard him scream! Newborn cuddles were the best. They always look so peaceful sleeping in a little ball with their toosh sticking out. I remember that I could do anything with one hand and hold him with the other. Making bottles was nice. It hasn't been that way for a loonnggg time.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • First of all - I would never judge anyone for using the nursery. I myself used it both nights I was there as well. I also labored ALL night and had LO at 8 AM the next morning. I got to sleep from about 11 - 12:30 that day and that was it. For me though it was adrenalyne. I had trouble sleeping.

I am not sure I have a favorite moment persay. One memory that I will alwyas have is DH doing her baths when we first came home. I was never comfortable with this - he thrived, and I loved watching him look her in the eyes and her look back intently at him..... So glad I have a couple photos of this.

I can't say that I miss the newborn stage - but I can say with certainty that I am bothered by how much of a blur it was. I feel like I barely remember it and that makes me sad. I for sure miss being pregnant. I loved my belly and think there is nothing in the world comparable to feeling that baby move inside you - I cant' wait to do it all over again :)

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• It was all such a blur. The newborn snuggles was the best. And finding out how much I love being a mom.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One of my favorite memories was my DH asking my DD "do you have a little poopy?" He would say it in this silly voice and we were both so tired... borderline delirious. He had me in tears he was so stupid. My DD kept pooping but only these little tiny specs. Lol.

And of course her sleeping on me. I still remember the days when my DS slept on me and now he is 3! I hope I never forget the special moments of their births and the magical first few days holding and snuggling those tiny, sweet smelling babies!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One of my favorite memories was my DH asking my DD "do you have a little poopy?" He would say it in this silly voice and we were both so tired... borderline delirious. He had me in tears he was so stupid. My DD kept pooping but only these little tiny specs. Lol. And of course her sleeping on me. I still remember the days when my DS slept on me and now he is 3! I hope I never forget the special moments of their births and the magical first few days holding and snuggling those tiny, sweet smelling babies!
    Ohhhhh, I do miss the smell of his sweet little breath and body and of having him fall SO deeply asleep on me / in my arms.  

I'll have a routine c/s this time around and I really hope I get to experience some of those moments that I missed last time-- ie, skin to skin right away and them putting baby on my chest, etc...it was so weird and disjointed last time.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • While I miss the tiny-ness, I am so much happier with an older, more durable, more interactive baby. Mila is still really snugly so I don't have to miss that too much. And I can say with 100% honestly and happiness that we are satisfied with our two and thrilled with our completed family :)
    I couldn't have said it better myself, this is exactly how I feel!
    This is how i feel about having a non-newborn child, and how I HOPE to feel after this baby is born.  I'm pretty sure we are done after two... 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • The feeling of her warm little body on my chest for the first time. The way she was wide awake when they wheeled me down to the special care nursery to see her after I got cleaned up from having her, and she stared at me so seriously. Her smell. Milk drunk naps on my chest. Sleepy smiles. Watching my husband fall head over heels in love with her. Swaying with that tiny, swaddled bundle in my arms.

Oh, my ovaries...I love the newborn stage.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Erin10408 said:
    Oh, my ovaries...I love the newborn stage.

I love the way you worded this!

• I actually loved my birth experience. It was so fast I had no time for drugs! Clark came out screaming and nursed like a champ from day one. I was so beyond happy he was full term because I was on bed rest for per term labor and I was petrified for 3 solid months.

But my absolute favorite was that he was not urinating at all and we were freaking out. I literally nursed him every hour so that he would pee and nothing! The nurse said he did when they took him for a test, but MH and I never saw it. The first night home he was being crazy fussy and not sleeping. MH picks him up and was pacing around our bedroom at 2 am. All of a sudden I hear him yell - oh shit! I was like- what?!! He tells me- yeah, remember that peeing thing we were worried about? And he shows me his shirt which was covered in urine. We laughed so hard we cried.
  • They should figure out how to bottle and sell colostrum-scented baby breath. It's amazing. And they're such pliable little snuggle bugs as newborns! I also actually liked labor the second time. It was fast and I was amazed at the sensation of pushing out a little person.
  • ClandestineXClandestineX member
    edited February 2014
    I miss the newborn snuggles!  I miss when poop didn't stink!

ETA: I would never ever judge someone for using the nursery. I never used it, but it was only because I was afraid they would circumcise him. (I know that it takes a lot of logistics before it happens) Just they were asking me about it 20 times and like 5 people asked why not, so I was weary.

• I miss the newborn snuggles!  I miss when poop didn't stink!

ETA: I would never ever judge someone for using the nursery. I never used it, but it was only because I was afraid they would circumcise him. (I know that it takes a lot of logistics before it happens) Just they were asking me about it 20 times and like 5 people asked why not, so I was weary.
    Ohhhh, I forgot about sweet breastmilk poop... those were the days.

I don't think that's dumb.  If I felt strongly about that issue I would have done the same thing.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Also, we took a childbirth class at the hospital where they taught us how to swaddle, and for whatever reason, the swaddling thing REALLY stuck with my H. So watching him change those TINY newborn diapers and then swaddle the baby up (and show everyone else how to swaddle the baby up) was so sweet that I seriously thought my heart was going to melt.

That's so sweet, my husband was a swaddle master too!
    I have baby fever bad after reading all these!!

Every one talks about how miserable they are in the last weeks, but I loved every second of it. I had terrible constant back pain from 20 weeks on, but those last few weeks are very special to me. Every day my husband would say, "Do you think we are going to have a baby today?" I'll never forget the night I woke him up to tell him I had been timing contractions for an hour. He jumped up so quickly and was like "Really?!?"  No one told me how much closer I would feel to my husband after this experience! 
    I also remember how quickly my labor seemed to pass. That's ironic because I labored for 27 hours. I pushed for over two hours, but I kept looking at the clock and every time I looked it seemed like 15 minutes had passed. I remember thinking, "I can't believe how quickly this is happening." My husband has the opposite perception though. He once told someone I pushed for 3.5 hours. Ha! I said, "No, honey. It was only 2.5." He said "Well, it felt like 5 hours to me."
    But probably my favorite memory was on the first night we had been up for about 40 hours straight and our son was sleeping so hard. We should have been trying to sleep too, but DH climbed in the hospital bed with me and we sat there and held our baby and it was an amazing feeling. 
    Married July 2008.  TTC 2010.
    Stephen James born 4/24/13 after 27 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing!
    Due with #2   4/16/15

• Love these stories. :) My cousin had a baby girl today, and part of me is jealous! I had an emergency c section and got wheeled off to the recovery room. Finally, H came with DS and a nurse or something. DS was crying, but they put him on me to nurse, and as soon as he touched me, he stopped crying! That was so cool.

I miss the days where he would just sleep on my chest and I could watch TV or just enjoy him. However, I had a hard recovery and he was a difficult baby for the first couple months, so I am glad he is happier now!

• Love these stories. :) My cousin had a baby girl today, and part of me is jealous! I had an emergency c section and got wheeled off to the recovery room. Finally, H came with DS and a nurse or something. DS was crying, but they put him on me to nurse, and as soon as he touched me, he stopped crying! That was so cool. I miss the days where he would just sleep on my chest and I could watch TV or just enjoy him. However, I had a hard recovery and he was a difficult baby for the first couple months, so I am glad he is happier now!
    My husband's cousin had a baby girl today too!

• This whole thread had me in tears. I can't believe how big our babies are. It's sad and exciting all at the same time.

My favorite memory of Cameron it's him peeing on me within out first 5 minutes of skin to skin. Gave us a good laugh.

And with Casey...nights in the hospital and enjoying two nights with him all to myself (DH was home with Cameron to give him some normalcy). And just how much more relaxed I was the second time around. It drank it all it and didn't seem as tired.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • After two hours of pushing that moment when he finally came and I got to meet him was amazing! I miss his little stretches and his newborn scent.

• Grace0609 said:
    I am not a huge fan of the first few weeks. But my favorite moment is always the second after baby is born and I can BREATHE!! I am such a horrible pregnant person, so the second the baby is out I feel like a new woman and am so happy!!!!
    Thats exactly how I felt after I pushed her out...OMG, I can breathe again.
  • @superToots, that's awesome about Cameron peeing on you. :) I guess the second they pulled Will out he pooped right on the doctor's shoes.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"