C-sections

Colace before surgery?

Hey ladies! Coming over from Jan '14. My last OB appt confirmed what we had been thinking - our little girl has to be delivered via c-section. We are scheduled for Tuesday unless she decides to come early. I know constipation after surgery and pain meds is a big concern and everyone recommends Colace after surgery. I'm wondering if taking it a few days prior to surgery would help move things along after. Any thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Colace before surgery?

• I was stalking the feb 14 board yesterday and saw someone mentioned this and was curious if people do this! I wouldn't take anything without talking to the doctor first.
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I just had my third c-section yesterday. On my 2nd planned c-section and also this third one I took Colace about 4 days before the surgery and the days following. It always helped.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan to start taking it about 4-5 days ahead this time and continue taking it in the hospital. Bring your own in case the nurses get stingy with it.

• Thanks for the input ladies!
  • I don't remember taking it before my csection but I did drink prune juice for 2 days before and ate a very light meal (soup) the night before.
  • I was so worried of getting constipated again with my second csection. As soon as my doctor came in to see me after my csection I asked for colace. I drank lots of juice and prune juice and ate lots of fruit. Lets just say I was not constipated second time around :)

I wouldn't take it before your csection
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I didn't take it before- I've always been pretty regular. But I got it the night of the morning after my c-section so it kicked in and did it's job.

whatever puts your mind at ease. I don't see anything wrong with taking it before.
  • After my second c section 2 weeks ago I first went to toilet day after giving Birth. As vile as sounds was very runny it took around 4 days to go normally again I took nothing I let it all happen naturally x
  • I really wish I'd done this last time. I had horrific gas pain up in my back and shoulder for days and it was way more painful than my incision, that's how bad it was. Wish I'd cleared out before the surgery!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It might help. I don't think it could hurt. I will be quite honest with you, though; for me, going to bathroom after the C section didn't cause more pain than I was already in. The real pain was from trying to wipe! Sorry if that's TMI, just wanted to prepare you ;)
  • I took it daily from my 3rd trimester and until 3-4 weeks after my section. I had a lot of constipation with pregnancy though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies!! Made it through the section (and a bout of postpartum pre-eclampsia) with little to no constipation. The anticipation of the event was much worse than the actual event. - which occurred less than 2 days after surgery! To me, letting my
    bladder get too full before emptying it hurt way worse than poop!
  • I start a week before
  • Interesting- just had this conversation with my doc today. She's changed her opinion on Colace before surgery and says it may cause gas. She told me to bring miralax to the hospital and take a dose as soon as they clear me to eat solids.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"