May 2014 Moms

When can you no longer go out-of-town?

I remember with my first pregnancy, my OB didn't want me traveling more than about an hour away from the hospital after a certain time period.  Has anyone else's OB mentioned this or something similar? For some reason, I think it was about 32-34 weeks. I am going to ask at my next appointment, but I was thinking I needed to mention something to my boss soon because I frequently have out-of-town depositions.
IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: When can you no longer go out-of-town?

• I flew to Annapolis for work at 34w when I was expecting DD. I had a scheduled csection for 38w. I can't remember for sure, but I think my OB cutoff for travel was 36w.
  • My OB says 36 weeks

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nora - 10.26.12

Henry - 5.9.14

• Loading the player...
  • My OB just told me at my last appt not to travel more than a couple hours away after 34ish weeks.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• I think it was 35-36 weeks. Of course, I live over an hour from the birthing center so it's kind of a silly recommendation for me.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I thought it was earlier than 35-36 weeks.  I was already on bedrest by 35 weeks last time and I remember my OB mentioning it well before that.  But maybe I got the recommendation earlier because of my unique circumstances last time...

• My OB told me no further than 60 miles away at 36 weeks and past that. No flying after 34.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • IBackBevo said:

I thought it was earlier than 35-36 weeks.  I was already on bedrest by 35 weeks last time and I remember my OB mentioning it well before that.  But maybe I got the recommendation earlier because of my unique circumstances last time...

That's probably true. Most of us probably got the 35/36 recommendation in low risk situations. I'm sure they'd recommend it sooner if they were worried about PTL.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My ob says 34 weeks
  • 35 weeks, no more than 30 to 45 minutes from the hospital.

• Not to burst anyone's bubble, but it all depends on your risk tolerance. I just had a coworker travel across the country at 30w only to have her water break (she had to have the baby). No risks that I am aware of. She has been stuck there for months. Very unlikely, but it does happen.

• Every care provider is going to tell you something different. Mine said she recommended people not traveling out of town past 32 weeks. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think 35 or 36 weeks. I went to a concert a couple of hours away at like 33 weeks but told DH that if I went into labor that early I wanted to go to the hospital there anyhow.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Honestly, I am probably going to tell my work 32 weeks no matter what the doctor says.  Plus, I really, really want to vbac and if I am at some random hospital without a doctor I know in another city, I doubt that would be an option.  I was high risk last time (pree and iugr) and there is always the risk I could end up that way again.  Plus, traveling out-of-town is HARD on me.  99% of the time, I am going for depos which usually start about 9 am and entail me either leaving out via car or taking a flight at about 5-6 am, sitting in an 8+ hour depo and then driving or flying home that day.  I almost always (unless the depo is on the east or west coast) fly in/out or drive in/out the same day.  It makes for about a 14-16 hour day and that just isn't any fun when you are 8+ months pregnant.

• My doc has me on a case by case basis...all depending on 1.  where I am travelling to / proximity to a hospital, 2.  how I am feeling, 3.  how far along I am, and 4.  form of travel / chances of inconveniencing an entire plane load of people. 

• FTM here, and although i have no experience with what my OB might tell me in the future. I do know that my health insurance will not cover any delivery or hospital matters if i am outside of the plan coverage area after 35 weeks. Might be something else to check out.

My Ovulation Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/CallMeMrsChaos/

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image   View Full Size Image

• FTM here, and although i have no experience with what my OB might tell me in the future. I do know that my health insurance will not cover any delivery or hospital matters if i am outside of the plan coverage area after 35 weeks. Might be something else to check out.

That is a very good point.  I didn't even think about that.

• IBackBevo said:
    I thought it was earlier than 35-36 weeks.  I was already on bedrest by 35 weeks last time and I remember my OB mentioning it well before that.  But maybe I got the recommendation earlier because of my unique circumstances last time...
    Yeah I haven't been cleared to travel more than a half hour from my local hospital since my cervix measured short at 17weeks. And that was back when I was still allowed to be up and about and had an unlimited sitting time (as opposed to bed rest). I'm grounded until baby gets here. Which was a little sad because DH and I love road tripping and absolutely would have gone for a baby moon to Denver this winter if it had been allowed.

I think the usual low risk option is closer to 36 weeks though. :)
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • It can depend on your doctor's recommendations, but I also heard that some airlines have restrictions as to when they'll let pregnant women fly as well, so that might be something to check in to. My SIL had no restrictions, and then flew to FL for a vacation, and ended up going in to PTL at 28 weeks, luckily they were able to stop it after almost 2 days in the hospital, and she was on bedrest the rest of her vacation, flew home, and was on bedrest, and then at 36 weeks was cleared, and then didn't deliver until a week after the baby was due. Personally I don't plan on travelling after 32 weeks. I drive a lot daily for work, so about that time I'll be telling my brother and mother that I need to cut back and can only go on short trips, and not be in the car from 8-9 till all hours of the afternoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"