Potty Training

Pee trained, but refuses to go #2...constipated now :-(

My DS is almost 3 1/2 and he's been pretty much pee PT for a couple of weeks.  He refuses to go #2 though and I know it is normal that they learn to pee first.  However, he has now gone 3 days without pooping at all.  He just won't go and I think he may now be constipated :(.  I always try to get him to sit on the potty to poop and I even ask him if he needs a diaper to go poop.  Sometimes that works...I just don't think he is comfortable going to poop on the potty yet.  I don't want him constipated either.  I don't know what to do??  Do I just go back to all diapers since he isn't ready for #2 or do I just leave him constipated knowing he will eventually go?!? Sooooo confused!! Help! lol
PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

Re: Pee trained, but refuses to go #2...constipated now :-(

• sounds like he's afraid. My dd went through the same thing. I had to hold her (still do) and hug her while she's doing her duty. He will need lots of encouragement and coaching but he will eventually get over the fear. GL!
  • Thank you...I'll try that! :-) 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Loading the player...
  • We were stuck in a terrible cycle of this. Sometimes he would ask for a diaper and poop in it, other times he would poop if I put one on him after dinner. But many days he would just hold it and ended up severely constipated several times. He would cry and hold his belly but not be able to poop without a suppository. I decided that this is not working for us so he's back in diapers for a while. I'm not going to mention it for a few weeks and then tell him he can have a toy when he poops in the potty. If it does it, great. If not, we will wait a little longer. He is turning 3 in two weeks.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"