Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

sleeping HELP, please?!?!?

I can really use some help, my LO is just over a year old and we have been trying to establish a sleep pattern. We had one almost down around 9 months but then the teeth started, we were able to get her close to being back on track around 10 1/2  months. However right before the holidays she got sick with an upper rep, double ear infection, and then had an allergic reaction so needless to say it was a tough couple of weeks and her sleep pattern was shot. We have got her back to going to bed around the same time 830/930 seems to be our window but that's just the beginning. Around 1230/1 she will wake wanting about 2oz of her bottle, and crash with us in recliner or couch, then if we try and put her directly into her crib she will get so mad like screaming/crying mad. We have found that if we lay with her for about 45 minutes we can then lay her down in her crib. However around 230/3 she will be up again, and not needing anything but to cuddle, (please no judgment) this sometimes leads to her coming to bed with us. I know I need to do something to help break all of these things, but I am honestly lost and don't know where to begin, any suggestions??? Sorry for it being so long, and thanks in advance!

Re: sleeping HELP, please?!?!?

• Hi there! It sounds to me like your LO needs sleep training. You'll just have to choose a method and I would record sticking to it for a week or more before deciding if its working or not. Also, make sure to establish a sleep routine that you are happy doing night after night. Check out this site. She has a lot of information on getting LO sleeping Www.troublesometots.com
    1st BFP 10/11/11. MMC 9wks 3days.Measuring 6wks 1day D&C 11/15/11 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers "http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As PP said you really need to figure out an approach and stick to it.  At this age your LO should be able to fall asleep on her own.  So the first thing is stop falling asleep with her and then moving her.  That's just confusing because she falls asleep with you there and then wakes up alone.

I recommend Ferber's book (Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems) even if you are anti CIO because it has great information on sleep patterns.  His book is progressive waiting so doing checks 3 mins, 5 mins, 7 mins, etc.

Most importantly pick what works for you, make sure everyone is on board, and be consistent.  I'd also cut out the 2 oz in the middle of the night.  She doesn't need it.  Good luck!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Nicb13 said:

Poor kid. She's been through a lot in a short period of time :(

I think it's going to take some hard work on your part but if you don't want her in your bed (co-sleeping is fine if YOU are ok with it) and you want her back to sleeping in her bed then you will have to be 100% committed and consistent.

You can't bring her to your bed sometimes, but leave her other times. Perhaps you can go in and try rubbing her back, talking to her a little then leave the room again? If she doesn't settle down in 10 minutes, go back in and do it again?

Back around that age when DS went through spells like this, I found that picking him up made everything worse. I tried to do everything in my power to keep him in his crib and soothe him there. It took a few nights and I had to be very consistent but he eventually stopped waking, needing me.

As far as the 2 oz in the night...I'm not sure about weaning that. DS stopped eating in the MOTN around 7 months old. We never went back after that.

Just saw your ticker!  Congrats!!
  • ashiscute said:
    Nicb13 said:

Poor kid. She's been through a lot in a short period of time :(

I think it's going to take some hard work on your part but if you don't want her in your bed (co-sleeping is fine if YOU are ok with it) and you want her back to sleeping in her bed then you will have to be 100% committed and consistent.

You can't bring her to your bed sometimes, but leave her other times. Perhaps you can go in and try rubbing her back, talking to her a little then leave the room again? If she doesn't settle down in 10 minutes, go back in and do it again?

Back around that age when DS went through spells like this, I found that picking him up made everything worse. I tried to do everything in my power to keep him in his crib and soothe him there. It took a few nights and I had to be very consistent but he eventually stopped waking, needing me.

As far as the 2 oz in the night...I'm not sure about weaning that. DS stopped eating in the MOTN around 7 months old. We never went back after that.

Just saw your ticker!  Congrats!!
    This made me look at your ticker!
    Congratulations!! how exciting!
  • We used The Baby Whisperer with great success. It sounds like your LO uses you and her bottle as a sleep crutch. Her method discourages crutches bc everyone (regardless of age) wakes multiple times a night and everyone needs to be able to put themselves back to sleep. She also talks about how to break established bad habits, which may be helpful for you. Her method doesn't involve CIO but does preach consistency above all.
  • Another thing to consider is to move her bedtime earlier. She may be having problems sleeping because she's *too* tired. I know every kid is different, but even 8:30 seems on the late side for a 1 year old. At almost 2, DD is in bed at 7:45 or 8. When she was a year old bedtime was an hour earlier than that even.

But what matters most is what PPs mention - consistency.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MommyAtty said:
    We used The Baby Whisperer with great success. It sounds like your LO uses you and her bottle as a sleep crutch. Her method discourages crutches bc everyone (regardless of age) wakes multiple times a night and everyone needs to be able to put themselves back to sleep. She also talks about how to break established bad habits, which may be helpful for you. Her method doesn't involve CIO but does preach consistency above all.
    This. 
  • Another thing to consider is to move her bedtime earlier. She may be having problems sleeping because she's *too* tired. I know every kid is different, but even 8:30 seems on the late side for a 1 year old. At almost 2, DD is in bed at 7:45 or 8. When she was a year old bedtime was an hour earlier than that even.

But what matters most is what PPs mention - consistency.

This. What time does she wake (or do you wake her) for the day? DD is in the crib around 7pm, and has been this way since about 6 months old. Being overtired can be a huge problem....
  • We did sleep training with DD around 12 months and within a week she was sleeping through the night without waking up and if she happen to wake up, she learned to self soothe.

We established the same schedule during the day and night with little to minor change. When it came to actually putting her in the crib to go to sleep, I would show her the crib and say "time for crib" and eventually she would lean towards it and lay down. If she cried, we would let her for 10 minutes. If she still was crying after that we would go and get her, and try again. Usually, by minute 9 she was out.

We kept up this same pattern no matter what and within a week she caught on and learned how to self soothe and sleep on her own through the night. It also helps if you put her to sleep around the same time every night. The more you have a set schedule daily, the easier it will become.

Good Luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • I have been having a lot of troubles as well... My soon to be 1 year old son lays down for bed at around 9pm and then wakes up at around 12:30am standing up crying until I come lay him back down and what seems like every half an hour to an hour after that until about 4am. He doesn't have trouble falling asleep, just staying asleep. He does have 7 teeth already with one more coming in, so I'm not sure if teething is the issue. I have tried rubbing orajel in his mouth,baby Tylenol, teething tablets, gripe water, cold wet rags..but, I'm afraid he has been crying just to see me.  I have also tried bathtime before bed, but it just seems to excite him more, he loves the bath.  He takes two naps during the daytime, around 12pm for an hour and around 4pm for another hour.

We follow the same bedtime routine every night, with his soy bottle (cows milk protein allergy), a fresh diaper, and lay him in his bed with white noise, projector, same song soother and putting a pacifier in.  His projector is sound activated too, so when he cries loud enough at night it comes back on.

The other issue is that we only have a 1 br apt., and his crib is in our bedroom. So, he stands up in his crib and cries to get our attention. My husband gets up early for work, so he gets angry and agitated if I don't go lay our son back down to keep him quiet. I want to just let him cry it out and self soothe, but, I can't.  Unless of course I just tell my husband to start sleeping on the couch.

I just found out that I am unexpectedly pregnant, and my body is feeling exhausted on it's own, without getting only 3-4 hours of sleep at night.

I am beyond tired and I am willing to ask my husband to start sleeping on the couch. I just don't know what else to try.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"