Success after IF

TTC #2 Opinions please!

How did you decide to go on from having just one child to having more?  

I am having such a tough time with the decision to try to have another baby or not.  I feel like I wanted a baby (now my daughter) SO BADLY, it consumed me and my life... and now, I just don't feel this all consuming passion to have a second child.  I feel like if it happened that would be awesome, but if it didn't that would be okay too... Which would be great IF I was able to get pregnant naturally and could just let fate or whatever decide, but I can't or I wouldn't be here (we used DEIVF to conceive our daughter).   

I could really use some thoughts on this.... Any opinions positive or negative would be really appreciated.
*****siggy*****
Me: 33 (Mosaic Turner's Syndrome/POF) 
DH: 35 (no male factor)
3/10 - Foster Mr. T for 1 month
3/11 - Foster AL for 1 year
7/11 Known donor retrieval 7 fertilized 
7/11 DE Transfer -BFP & 5 FE
4/9/12 Miracle baby girl arrives!
Planning for FET 7/14

Re: TTC #2 Opinions please!

• I got the baby fever real bad. I just knew that I had to have another. If I get that feeling again after #2, we will go the foster/adoption route.
    GL with your decision. Only you can know when your family feels complete.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Our decision was pretty much made for us, since I was a few months past 39 when we had DD.  I asked my RE when to try for #2, given this situation, and she told me ASAP.  

DD was born in June, and by November, I was cycling.  I especially wanted to try again soon, because I didn't think we'd be lucky enough to conceive on the first try (IVF) again, to the point that I didn't even tell our friends we were cycling (we were open the first time and they knew we'd be cycling within a year of DD's birth).  We were fortunate to get pregnant again that time though, and are 2U2.

It's been a little hectic, as expected, but as we approach the 6 month mark, I feel like things are starting to get easier.  I think once they're both walking and can really play together, I'll be even happier.
    10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh, I'm kind of in the questioning #2 or more stage. I'm so incredibly happy finally having a child. I'm so scared to mess that happy up with seeking treatment.

One issue that does warrant a decision in the near future is that I turned 35 a month and a half ago. We have no frosties. We are unexplained, and my cycle has been different since J was born (no mid-cycle bleeding, ovulation pain, loads of CM), so there is a chance that we could get pregnant on our own. 

I guess for me, I really enjoyed having siblings. I especially like having them as an adult. I want J to have that, but I also know that shouldn't be the only reason we go for more children. 

I'm willing to go one more round with IVF. However, I don't think I can do it until this time next year. I need a break, I haven't slept in a year and a half. I also want to see if we can get a miracle BFP. 

Good luck!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• We have been discussing this lately. We know we want more than one, always have. I'm starting to get baby fever again so we're trying on our own for now (highly unlikely to produce anything considering DH's MFI and me not ovulating); we will seek treatments again towards the end of this year.

We have always pictured our family with more than one child and although IF has been rough, it hasn't changed that picture for us. I think it's a matter of what you're comfortable with doing to conceive if you have to do treatments again. I also ask myself, if IF weren't a factor, would the thought of more than one be harder to grasp?

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• I've always known that I would like more than one, I did feel amazingly blessed once we had # 1, but once he turned 1 I knew that I was ready to think about having another. I currently think I will want to go for 3, but I also think we'll have to wait and see how life is with two. 
    TTC since August 2009
    Clomid for 6 cycles starting August 2010- O but no BFP
    SA Septemeber 2010 Looking good 
    HSG September 2010 All clear 
    1st RE visit May 2011 - IUI#1 June 20, 2011: BFN
    IUI #2 July 31 2011: BFP - m/c @ 5w1d
    Surprise BFP on a break cycle 10/4/11, Due June 4, 2012, Born 6/9/2012
    TTC Blog
    TTC#2 : Cycles 1-3 Protocol 1500mg Metformin Daily, Femara + Ovidrel, Progresterone support 
    HSG#2 November 2013 All clear
    Cycle 4 Metformin, Femara, Bravelle, Ovidrel, Progesterone = BFP
    Little Lady Born 8/28/2014

"There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see, 
    the beauty of love as it was made to be"
    Mumford & Sons
  • We had a lot of discussions and settled on trying one IVF cycle. We wanted to give a second child a shot, but had our most recent IVF failed, we had agreed to move on as a one child family. We wanted a second child, but needed boundaries to know that our financial and emotional lives weren't going to get sucked too far into the IF black hole. Good luck!
    DX: Severe MFI 
    IVF # 1 ~ Antagonist ~ ER 1/27/11~ ET 1/30/11 ~ + HPT 7dp3dt 
    DD born med-free on 10/24/11 
    Lilypie - (lZjk)
    IVF # 2 ~Antagonist ~ ER 6/5/13 ~ ET 6/10/13 ~ + HPT 4dp5dt 
    Lilypie - (OUlo)

• I would love a second or even a third but to get my LO, it took 4 IVF cycles and a FET. Like you, it was all consuming and ruled every minute of my life. The thought of doing that again is hard but then I think of JJ and I know it was all worth it. Clearly I'm torn. JJ is almost 6 months and since I had a c section I can't get pg before a year so I have 6 months to think about it.
    TTC 1/2010 DH Dx - Azoospermia 2/2011
    Hysteroscopy 3/2011 2 Polyps removed 4/2011
    DH on Clomid / Arimidex to address hormonal issues - Sperm found July 2011!
    IVF #1 September 2011 - ER 9/8/2011- 8R, 5M - icsi - 1 made it to transfer - BFFN :-(
    IVF #2 Lucky November 2011 - ER 11/25/2011 - 15 eggs!, 13 mature, 10 fertilized with isci - 7 made it to transfer! Transferred 1 - 8 cell and 2 - 7 cell. BFP!!!!
    1st U/S - Twins! 2nd U/S - 3 heartbeats!!! - HOLY COW!!!
    Prayers for our take home babies!
    2 babies born on 3/27/12 and lost. Last baby born on 3/29/12 and lost at 20 weeks.
    My angels grew wings shortly after birth.
    Ahava Raisel, Matisyahu Nissim & Zev Chaim - Mommy and Daddy will always love you.
    IVF #3 July 2012 - ER 7/17/2012 - 10 R. 5 F. 4 made it to ET
    Transferred 2 on 7/20/2012 no snow babies :-(
    Beta on 7/31/2012 = BFMFN
    A miracle gift expected to come to us through adoption around 9/2012
    Baby girl adopted - Birth Mother changed her mind and took the baby back
    IVF #4 October 2012 - New RE. Doing PGD Testing. 8 R, 7F, 2 made it to 5 day blast for PDG testing. Both Normal (Thank you G-d!!!) 1 boy and 1 girl
    transferred one beautiful 5day blast (girl)
    Please G-d the almighty one - let this be our take home baby!
    Beta #1 158, Beta #2 318, 1 Absolutely magnificent HB at 175! Thank you G-d!!!
    Baby Girl born August 5th. Thank you G-d for our precious miracle.
    AMA. PAIF & SAIF always welcome - I need all the prayers I can get!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • luvbostonluvboston member
    edited January 2014
    Three weeks after LO was born I was ready for another, I felt such victory when she was born that I had battled if and won that I knew I could do it again. I proved all the nay Sayers wrong and therefore couldn't wait to do it again!
    However I was in pain from my leg and after LO left the nicu we struggled with her reflux that I thought we would need to wait until she was stable. However after we got that under control I was all in for another LO.

However I need to lose the weight I gained with LO and get myself in tip top shape again and that is a battle. And from this weeks wondfo debacle and my reaction I don't think I am yet there emotionally, I need to slay dragons when I go to get pg and get pg. When the one year mark comes for LO bday I know I will be ready!

I think when you feel what you felt when LO was born when you think of having another you are ready.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• When DD was born I did not feel my family was complete. I conceived twins but lost one at 9 weeks gestation. I also gave birth prematurely and had a c/s and feel that next time I want to be able to do it right. That certainly is not my primary motivation for having a second child, just extra incentive.
    I underwent an unsuccessful FET in December and an planning to transfer my two remaining frosties in February. If that cycle is not successful I will probably take a little time off to gear myself physically and emotionally for a fresh cycle. There is practically zero chance of natural conception due to severe MFI. Since I am going to be 37 in the summer, AMA is also becoming a factor although my RE tells me I have many fertile years left.
    Only you and your DH can decide when your family is complete or when enough treatment is enough. Best wishes with your decision.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We will be doing an FET for #2 sometime this spring. I am going to my RE later this week to discuss timing and other specifics. I had DD this past June. I am older, over 40, which is why we are doing this so soon. If I was younger, I'd probably wait a couple of years. We have 4 frosties, so 2 chances at FET. If this doesn't work, we will not seek further treatments.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• I think it's normal not to CRAVE a second baby the way you did a first baby. When TTC DS, I was obsessed, and I was totally distraught about the thought of never having a child. When we decided to TFAS, it wasn't all-consuming. In fact, when our first IUI cycle was canceled in Dec, we decided not to pursue treatment for awhile. Whereas when TTC #1, I definitely wouldn't have voluntarily decided to take a break.

For us, we've always known we wanted 2 or 3, so it wasn't really a question of "if" but "when." 
    GL with your upcoming decisions.

DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you so much for your thoughts on this.  Hearing what other people have to say really helps make a decision.
    @mnj05 THANK YOU.  Your question... "
    if IF weren't a factor, would the thought of more than one be harder to grasp?" made a serious impact on my way of thinking.  Mostly because my answer is no.  We would go on to have more.  Absolutely because it would be easy.  This is the perfect question.  I go back and forth every minute it seems about TTC#2 or not, but my husband has always wanted 2.  Just last night I said, "well, if we're going to try for 2 we might as well have 3 or 4!"  Not really, but your question is just completely right.  It shouldn't matter, the IVF, etc. shouldn't be a factor.  It wasn't before when we were willing to do anything to get our DD, so why should it be this time.   
    *****siggy*****
    Planning for FET 7/14

• That is how I have to think to press forward sometimes. We've got so many things stacked against us to conceive without treatments and at this point, the only thing I'm willing to budge on is time. I wanted my kids 2 years apart, but that may not happen. I am determined to let time be the only thing IF dictates.

I'm glad my question helped you feel better about what you want to do. It's almost daunting to even think about getting pregnant again with this ugly IF monster in our faces.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• @mjn05 Everything about TTC#2 is scary.  We are deciding if we want to try again or not.  The outcome if it works out great is wonderful, but it's a lot to go through.  :/
    *****siggy*****
    Planning for FET 7/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards