High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Type 1 Mommas...how much insulin?

How many units of insulin did you, or are you taking at around 7 months? I'm 27 weeks, and I'm finding myself having to give anywhere between 16-25 units when I eat. Just wondering what your boluses are....
Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

Re: Type 1 Mommas...how much insulin?

• Options
    I was taking about double my normal dose at that point (12-18 units). I am now 3 weeks PP & my demands have dropped drastically. I'm only taking about 6-10 units with each meal
  • Options
    Thanks! Good to know!
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not looking forward to this change, ugh!  Right now I'm 16 weeks, and take 6 to 7 units of Humalog with every meal.  Can't even imagine 12+ units!

<3

• Options
    Yep! I'm on the pump, and before, I could go 3 days without changing it. Now, I'm changing it every 24-36 hours!!

• Options
    I was also at double the units by that time. I think pre pregnancy I was at 8 units and by the time I gave birth I was up to 24
  • Options

Any of you STM's on the pump? Did your doctors/hospital let you keep your pump on during labor/delivery? 

• Options
    @ mfarmer0811

I am not on the pump. I brought all my insulin supplies that I needed with me to the hospital when I was induced.
  • Options
    My needs are increasing and I'm 26 weeks this week. Right now I'm around 6-8 units each meal (I'm a T2 but on an insulin pump) and my basal rates are being increased by 1 unit almost every week for my fasting. Last time around I was doing just injections and we had to get really aggressive to get the fasting number down.

I'm really unsure about the pump during delivery and will see if I can find anything out but I suspect that it differs from hospital to hospital. Some want to be in control of what you are getting (even though in my experience L&D nurses tend to know VERY little about diabetes and diabetic needs. Don't get me started on the meals they tried to give me when I was in the hospital for insulin adjustment...), but some want you to take care of yourself. Is there a way you can call your L&D unit?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks ya'll! It is very helpful talking to ladies who have been, or are going through the same thing! I have an appointment with my OB next week, so I will ask her about controlling my own needs while in the hospital! I have a feeling she will let me; she will probably rather I do that. I already adjust my own basals/boluses on my own right now. 

• Options
    I had a repeat c-section so I was not allowed to keep my pump on due to the fact that it was right in the sterile area. But as soon as I was out if the OR, they had my husband connect it back up for me. They really wanted me to be on my pump since my body was so used to it. I just had to let the nurses know what amount I bolused before a meal so they could chart it.
    For my first daughter I didn't have a pump, but I would imagine that they would want you to keep your pump on since your body is used to getting that basal insulin constantly.
    Make sure you have well written orders for the insulin & d5 if you are not allowed to keep your pump on. I labored for 23 hours and the entire time they let my blood sugars see saw. I would bottom out at 40, so they would turn off the insulin & turn on the d5. Then an hour later my sugar was 200 so they turned the insulin back on. It was horrible!!! I was so upset with the MFM docs for letting that happen. I actually had one nurse say to me that a blood sugar of 250 was ok since I just had a baby. My mom was in the room & that nurse got an earful from her! This time I was much more vocal about my demands to keep my blood sugars under control.
  • Options
    AMK1981 said:
    Thanks ya'll! It is very helpful talking to ladies who have been, or are going through the same thing! I have an appointment with my OB next week, so I will ask her about controlling my own needs while in the hospital! I have a feeling she will let me; she will probably rather I do that. I already adjust my own basals/boluses on my own right now. 

@mfarmer0811. Just following up.... Gavin was born on Jan 6 (my water broke 10 days early so I didn't have to be induced early). Blood sugars were good all through labour. Unfortunatley the baby was positioned in such a way that I wouldn't dialate past 9.5 so I ended up having a c/s. the good news is that I kept my pump on all though labour as well as through the section. Which was great because I was in no condition for a site change after. Baby was 7lbs 9oz!!!! (not a giant like they tell you they will be with diabetes). His sugars ran a little low but only for 2 or 3 hours and they bounced back on their own without issues since. It took about a week before I noticed the drop in insulin requirements they tell you about. But once my milk came in and I started pumping, I am now down to very little insulin. My basal is set at .50 units per hour compared with .75 before birth. Also, yesterday I didn't bolus for breakfast for dinner. I really have to watch the lows. I think it's the breast milk. Did you ask your OB about keeping your pump yet? Good luck!! :)
    @AMK1981
    Congrats on your LO!! How exciting!! I'm so glad you were able to keep your pump on, and your numbers are still doing so well. 
    I haven't asked her about that yet, but I'm pretty certain she will let me. She's knows I take good care of myself, so I would imagine she wouldn't have a problem with it!
    I am scared I will have a big baby! I had a growth scan yesterday, and he was weighing at 4.5 pounds, and I'm only 30.4 weeks! The doc. didn't seem concerned though!! 
    I will be very glad when my insulin needs drop though, I'm tired of changing sites/reservoirs every 1.5-2 days! 

• Options
    Congratulations!!!!  =D

• Options
    chiming in here- so glad I found this thread. I'm at about 15 wks, type 1 on a pump. Good to hear others experiences!

***Signature warning******

me: DOR, DH: counts are good

IVF # 1:BCPs then antagonist. Cancelled for poor response
    IVF #2: no BCPs then MDL: 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred at day 2-BFN
    IVF #3 New RE! BCPs then MDL: 8 retrieved, 8 fertilized, 2 transferred day 5-BFN
    IVF #4 October 2013. BCPs then MDL: 8 R, 8F, 2 transferred day 5 in Nov--BFP!! 
    December 2013: Ultrasound shows a single intrauterine pregnancy! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"