July 2014 Moms
Options

When Zantac stops working

seriously, wtf? What am I suppose to do when my Zantac stops working and even taking tums on top of it does nothing????

I want to rip my esophagus out right now. It's going to be a long 5 months.

Re: When Zantac stops working

• Options
    Try prilosec, they have different active ingredients

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Options
    Oh, that sucks. I feel your pain.  I second what kimberly said.  Ranitidine (Zantac) worked for me last preg. until maybe the last month or so and then NOTHING worked, but I don't think I tried Prilosec.  I will have to keep that in mind for myself.  
    You can also try pineapple/papaya enzyme tablets.  They helped me somewhat.  Also, it sounds weird, but you might try a spoonful of apple cider vinegar.  It can help stop your stomach from overproducing acid.
    Does when you eat seem to affect anything or is it just constant heartburn?  I can't eat too soon before bed or lie down right after.  Ice cream helps reduce the burn, too. :)  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imagephoto Candle_zps6cecf456.png 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB prescribed nexium for me and said its safe, but I was on it prior and nothing else helped!
  • Options
    Ugh I sooo feel your pain! I'm not getting heartburn, but reflux and the Zantac does nothing anymore.

I have tried eating ripe, cut up papaya and it does wonders for awhile.

I'm going to try the chiro. I read they can adjust something near your smooth muscles that helps the relax and work properly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been taking a prescription acid reducer for the past year and a half or so. It's called Aciphex and is a higher powered Zantac basically. It's helped me a lot - maybe you could get a prescription for it.

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    Prilosec is not rated safe for pregnancy. I take prescription protonix(sp?) but have severe reflux all the time from spending too many years taking anti inflammatories. I still need to take tums sometimes, but don't even want to think about how bad my symptoms would be without the protonix.
    BabyFruit Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Mom to a 16 year old boy too!! 
    Me: 36-PCOS DH: 34 All good. TTC #3 since 2/12. IUI's 1st BFN, 2nd  BFP: 9/22/12...M/C 11/6 10wks 1day.....3 more rounds of IUI Feb-April '13 all BFN.
    Started taking Femaprin & Milk Thistle Aug '13, then added Metformin Sept '13......Surprise BFP 10/26/13!!!! The first time in 10 years that we got a BFP without infertility treatments!

• Options
    I thought zantac (ranitidine and H2 blocker) and prilosec/prevacid (lansoprazole/omaprazole an H1 blocker)  worked differently...therefore are not necessarily interchangeable?
    imageimage"">

• Options
    My OB have me a RX for something stronger than Zantac...don't remember the name though. I used it during my last pregnancy when 2 Zantac daily wasn't cutting it anymore. It was such a relief!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would call the OB and see if they can recommend something and/or get you a script for something. Also, keep in mind what you eat, dairy can cause acid reflux as well as obvious things like carbonated beverages, citruses, hot dogs, bologna, etc.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Prescription from your OB :)
  • Options
    I see my doc on Tuesday, this will be a main topic of conversation. Last pregnancy Zantac was more than enough. This time....nothing. Sigh. Thanks all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"