March 2014 Moms

Caffeine ?

Has anyone had to have a little extra lately just to function ? I've been pretty good about only having one cup a day or even half. However, over the last week or so I need 2 cups just to get through the day. I was just wondering if I am alone in this.

Re: Caffeine ?

• Nope! Many morning I have 2 cups of light roast or med. roast coffee!! My OB told me I could have up to 200mgs a day. I wouldn't worry.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• No, you're not alone. I drink coffee daily and some days I will have an extra cup. It's need to make it through the end of my day with my eyes still open. I do try my hardest to keep it under the 200mg, but I'm not perfect (or so I'm told).
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I stopped drinking caffeine the second I found out that I was pregnant with DS1. This time I drink a cup of coffee more often than not. It's amazing how things change the 2nd time around!
  • lately im totally addicted to iced tea.
    I barely finish a cup of half caf in the morning, but sweet tea and I are BFFs
  • I've been dying for some but, aside from chocolate, I've been good. Is it the taste or the actual caffeine you're craving? If it's just the flavor try Gloria Jean's decaf.....it's amazzzzing nomsnoms. (water processed too)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I kept the 200mg limit through first and second tri.....not so much any more.

God, yes, I'm leaning on caffeine to keep me going.
  • katykatykaty I know a small amount is safe, most bumpers seem to agree on a cup or two a day. I just know as a FTM that if anything happened I'd blame myself and go crazy with the 'what if's', even if they were completely irrational. I'm one who hasn't drank alcohol, coffee, tea, soda, or eaten non-microwaved lunchmeat, unpasteurized dairy, or sushi/sashimi. I just don't want to drive myself nuts with regrets :) I'm pretty relaxed about everything else, and totally support anyone who wants to drink moderate caffeine....my mom did and I'm ok!

• I guess by 'good' I meant I haven't broken from my own routine, not that other people are doing the wrong thing.

• I'm on my 2nd 32oz fountain Mountain Dew today. It's Friday. I don't do this on the regular, but desperate times call for extra caffeine. :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Yes, I'm so tired lately. I drink 1-2 cups about 3x a week. Basically any day I have to be up early after a night of insomnia. I prefer to avoid caffeine, but it definitely helps me through those days.
  • I have two cups every morning, and of course some sort of chocolate in the evening!

• I enjoy my caffeine each day when I need it without too much guilt.. My dr says there are limits with anything and in moderation it's ok to have so... Ok! I have never been a coffee person but I definitely love a Pepsi in the evening! Yum!
    Lately I find I've been pouring more ice in the cup just to eat all the ice instead of drinking the pop! Lol!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love caffeine.  I actually couldn't drink it in the first tri because I couldn't really keep anything down, but now that I can, I am definitely partaking in the caffeine.  I legitmately don't know how people with high activity level jobs can function without it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I have a steeped tea almost everyday and sometimes a Pepsi. Combined they are only half of what is recommended for pregnancy so sometimes I will have another tea, but I try to stick to decafe in the evenings.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I try and keep it to 2 cans of Pepsi next a day or less. That equals less then half of what I can have caffeine wise. My problem is the more soda I drink the less water I drink.
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • I usually drink at least one cup of coffee a day, sometimes two and I might have a soda  as well if I'm out to lunch or dinner.  DD is the only one I really kept away from caffeine with...when I was pregnant for DS I needed it to function and he turned out amazing :) 
    imageimage 
  • WickedNE said:
    I drink a cup or two each morning. Shoot me.
    Nope.  Going to party with you instead. Whoohoo caffeine!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• AshleyO925AshleyO925 member
    edited January 2014
    I cannot function without caffeine. I have at least one cup every morning and often a second or a coke in the afternoon. I teach first grade and honestly don't know how any teacher functions without it.

Edit: words are hard
    image image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I couldn't drink coffee early on as I had an aversion to it- same with coke zero.
    Well my aversion is gone but I still haven't had coffee (it's summer here so maybe that's why I haven't wanted it) but I have been having lots of coke zero and Pepsi max. I haven't actually even kept track of how much or limited myself at all. Some days none, some days a lot.
    Oops. I may have to stop when beast feeding as I want my baby to he able to sleep!
  • Caffeine is one of those many, many things that may be correlated with early loss, but it's probably not the cause of it.  Most likely the link is that if you can stomach large amounts of coffee (or anything for that matter) in the first tri you aren't very nauseated, and nausea in the first tri is one sign of a healthy pregnancy.

Since we're in the third tri, I feel no guilt about up to three cups of coffee or tea spread throughout the day.  I have them too close together though LO turns into a intrauterine ninja.  I try to avoid that.
  • I actually found that I need less caffeine - I used to drink a solid 2 cups a day and now I drink half a cup twice a day.  I didn't try to cut down but I just naturally wanted less.  I'm 36 weeks and this change probably started 2 months ago.
  • Thanks everyone ! I was pretty good with DD but I didn't work 50 hours with a 3 yr old to chase after. The exhaustion in this pregnancy has been the biggest obstacle. So glad there is only 5 - 6 weeks left! I'm also super glad there is no Starbucks on my way to work. All though I bought some Gevalia for my Keurig- yummmmm
  • I was a coffee addict and would drink a 32 oz every morning I had work and sometimes another 12 in the afternoon. On my days off i'd drink a normal mug full. During first tri, I was so nauseated and had a severe aversion to it. After that passed I had serious bladder irritation, which I still have, and cut out coffee because of that. Once, third tri hit, I was like a walking zombie, and started on 12oz in the morning, and its crazy how quickly I became dependent on it again!! If someone at work was judging me because of my 12 oz starbucks (I get the "blonde" light roast which is a downgrade from the extra shot of espresso I used to get) I'd probably punch them in the face. I sometimes make tea in the afternoon if I'm still dragging.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"