May 2013 Moms

UO

I'll take opinions of an unpopular nature for $1000, Alex.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: UO

• Loading the player...
  • emmy236emmy236 member
    edited January 2014
    @Jojo716 The only thing I liked was from BabyGap it was a sweatshirt that said Cupid. However I'm not paying like $40 for a baby sweatshirt. I did find a cute onesies on Zulily for $7.99 that I'm ok with.

My UO: i think the White House petition to deport Justin Bieber is hilarious

Edit: do I have to say why when Shank is no longer here?
  • edited January 2014
    ^^ I tend to agree but I'd like to hear an alternate opinion because I feel like there must be a reason for it.
  • @nech0606 I guess I won't tell you that I still have DD's umbilical stump.  I'm not keeping it because I want it, it just seems weird to just throw out.

I like baked ruffles better than the original ones.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think valentines day is a money grab.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • beaubecca said:
    ^^ I tend to agree but I'd like to hear an alternate opinion because I feel like there must be a reason for it.
    I think its probably because its more work for someone to connect new posts under new sn to the old sn - it is likely the person with a new sn can make a fresh start with their posts at least from a searchable standpoint.
    But if someone was to search the ol SN they would come up to the post with the new SN saying I used to be "X" .  So I agree the whole changing your SN is silly.  I guess if you have the time and energy to go back and delete every single post you made under your old SN then yeah...
    Augustus David - Born 5/08/13

my read shelf:
    April's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • emmy236 said:
    @Jojo716 The only thing I liked was from BabyGap it was a sweatshirt that said Cupid. However I'm not paying like $40 for a baby sweatshirt. I did find a cute onesies on Zulily for $7.99 that I'm ok with. My UO: i think the White House petition to deport Justin Bieber is hilarious Edit: do I have to say why when Shank is no longer here?
    ugh....you can keep him.  We DO NOT want him back lol

I'm not into celebrity stuff and could careless what they do, but he is seriously an embarrassment to Canada.  

my read shelf:
    April's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • If nothing happens (like shank's ordeal), I was wondering when one leaves TB. When our May babies turn 10? When they graduate college? When does it end? Probably a personal question.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • allydncr said:

Along the lines of celebrations, I think it's weird when people aren't into celebrating their birthdays. Birthdays were always a big deal in our house and I love that it was always treated as our "special day". Maybe just growing up as one of four kids, it was nice to have that one day as yours and yours alone. I still don't go to work on my birthday.

I probably should've thrown birthdays into my UO also. H and I did nothing for our bdays last year. No dates, no gifts lol.

• NailQueen said:

allydncr said:

Along the lines of celebrations, I think it's weird when people aren't into celebrating their birthdays. Birthdays were always a big deal in our house and I love that it was always treated as our "special day". Maybe just growing up as one of four kids, it was nice to have that one day as yours and yours alone. I still don't go to work on my birthday.

Im with you. Mine is on Saturday and we are def celebrating! Dh hates celebrating his for some reason -so I make him surprise celebrations every year so he never knows when we will be celebrating and what we will be doing...

I hate cemebrating my birthday. I don't really know why but I don't like being centre of attention.
  • Boo0512 said:
    My UO is that I think celebrating Valentine's Day and wedding anniversaries are way overrated. I could seriously care less if DH got me a gift/acknowledged it.
    DH and I rarely ever give each other gifts.  It is just not our thing really. 

We do acknowledge certain days with a simple Happy birthday or anniversary.  We may go out for dinner, but most likely we just do nothing lol

my read shelf:
  • Kashy said:
    beaubecca said:
    I think its probably because its more work for someone to connect new posts under new sn to the old sn - it is likely the person with a new sn can make a fresh start with their posts at least from a searchable standpoint.
    But if someone was to search the ol SN they would come up to the post with the new SN saying I used to be "X" .  So I agree the whole changing your SN is silly.  I guess if you have the time and energy to go back and delete every single post you made under your old SN then yeah...
    Honestly? I didn't give it much thought. I guess if someone I know IRL decides to wander in here, they're less apt to connect the picture of me with my new username. If they already have? Oh well.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • pnutg said:
    If nothing happens (like shank's ordeal), I was wondering when one leaves TB. When our May babies turn 10? When they graduate college? When does it end? Probably a personal question.
    I imagine it'll die a slow death. People will wander away, and the board's will get SUPER quiet. Or the format will change and the few people left just won't care enough to make the change. I was pretty active on a message board years ago (very different topic, but similar format / sense of community) and eventually... it became less interesting / less relevant. I posted less and less. Other people did too. The format eventually changed, and people just never came back. (I think The Bump only hosts a few years' worth of BMBs anyway, right?)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • MOMama987 said:

pnutg said:

If nothing happens (like shank's ordeal), I was wondering when one leaves TB. When our May babies turn 10? When they graduate college? When does it end? Probably a personal question.

I imagine it'll die a slow death. People will wander away, and the board's will get SUPER quiet. Or the format will change and the few people left just won't care enough to make the change. I was pretty active on a message board years ago (very different topic, but similar format / sense of community) and eventually... it became less interesting / less relevant. I posted less and less. Other people did too. The format eventually changed, and people just never came back. (I think The Bump only hosts a few years' worth of BMBs anyway, right?)

I had wondered if they do get rid of older boards in order to make room for more.
  • mslaurats said:

delino said:

I think some people take TB waaaay to seriously. I've formed a handful of close relationships with bumpies over my years here, but if TB disappeared tomorrow my life would not change. I don't think that's the case for some.

I think if the TB disappeared it would be like if someone's favorite tv show was cancelled...  sad but you get over it. 

Yes, well put.

I wouldn't say it'd be life changing, but I do enjoy Bumping and would miss it a lot.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
  • This will probably be very unpopular, but here goes ... I really don't like ultrasound pics being posted on FB. I can't give a definitive reason why but they bother me.

• @nech0606 Supposedly, my MIL kept H's circumcision...skin? I don't know what else to call it? Has anyone else ever heard of this, or is it as effing disgusting as I think it is? 

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @nech0606 Supposedly, my MIL kept H's circumcision...skin? I don't know what else to call it? Has anyone else ever heard of this, or is it as effing disgusting as I think it is? 

Yup. That's as gross as you think it is.
  • I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I will make a big deal for LO's birthdays.

:-&
    yeah that is gross and creepy...

my read shelf:
  • I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I will make a big deal for LO's birthdays.

Absolutely. I've had LO's party dress for over a month already!
  • I did keep DD1's umbilical cord stump for a short time, but then decided it was just basically dead skin, and I didn't have any qualms about them tossing the placenta or the cord itself...so what was the point in keeping the shriveled up stump? So I tossed it. With DD2, it was hanging by a thread for awhile and fell off at the doctors office when she was a couple of weeks old. Onto the floor at some point. I went to take her shirt and pants off for the doc to look at her and noticed it was gone! He said "oh here it is" and picked it up off the floor where we were just sitting and tossed it in the trash. I was glad he made the choice for me :)

But, now that DD1 has started losing teeth, I've kept both of them. They are in a ziploc bag in my purse, the one place she won't go. I don't really know why I am keeping them, but I can't bring myself to throw them out!

The foreskin thing makes me think of that scene from meet the parents, or meet the fockers or whatever "meet the...." movie it was.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I still have the umbilical cord stump in a plastic bag with all of his hospital bracelets, hospital paci, etc. I don't know why I saved it or what I'll do with it, but I'm not throwing it away. Oh well.

Ditto.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My mom kept EVERYTHING. Hair, all of my baby teeth (yes I said all), the apricot brandy she rubbed on my gums teething. I have decided that the insanity will stop with this generation.
  • My parents kept some of our baby teeth and a lock of mine and siblings first haircut.
                              Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
  • I was supposed to ask to keep the placenta so my mom could go back and bury it (cultural thing that has to do with remembering where our land is/where we came from).

I forgot, and I feel guilty.
  • edited January 2014
    my mom used to save our baby teeth...I think maybe I will keep at least one tooth and a lock of his hair from his first cut.  To me they are remembrances of when our LOs were tiny which will be for such a short period of time.
    Plus our LOs really suffer for these baby teeth so maybe at least one is worth holding onto.
    Foreskin. And that's gross. 
    So I'm coming back to this super late, but OMG I can't believe I blanked on the word foreskin. DUH. I blame mommy brain and the lack of penis in my life. 

Also, thanks everyone for confirming that MIL is a weirdo :)

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LolalipsyLolalipsy member
    edited February 2014

I was supposed to ask to keep the placenta so my mom could go back and bury it (cultural thing that has to do with remembering where our land is/where we came from).

I forgot, and I feel guilty.

My Turkish friend buried her baby's umbilical cord for the same reasons.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"