April 2014 Moms
Options

Sudden Shortness of Breath and Hot Flashes

arichlifearichlife member
edited February 2014 in April 2014 Moms
Anyone else have sudden episodes of shortness of breath, hot flashes and sometimes increased heart rate and sweating?

I've had the shortness of breath when I am laying down on my back but propped up, like half-sitting which I figured was the baby laying on my lungs/diaphragm.

But today I've had 3 episodes as described above within about an hour.

Not sure of this is normal or if I should call my doctor just in case. I'm a FTM and 31 weeks today.

TIA ladies!

Re: Sudden Shortness of Breath and Hot Flashes

• Options
    I have been experiencing the same thing the last couple of days. I'm a FTM, too. I hope someone can give us some insight!
  • Options
    I'm 30 weeks and often get the shortness of breath just as you described it! Sometimes it's when I "exert" myself by going up the stairs too quickly but other times it's just when I'm laying on the couch. Sometimes mine last 15 min or just a couple minutes. It feels like my heart is racing too. It also happens whenever I go to Old Navy for some reason - maybe all the bright lights!

Not sure what causes it exactly but I've always assumed (perhaps incorrectly!) that it's a normal pregnancy symptom.
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    homediva said:

I'm 30 weeks and often get the shortness of breath just as you described it! Sometimes it's when I "exert" myself by going up the stairs too quickly but other times it's just when I'm laying on the couch. Sometimes mine last 15 min or just a couple minutes. It feels like my heart is racing too. It also happens whenever I go to Old Navy for some reason - maybe all the bright lights!

Not sure what causes it exactly but I've always assumed (perhaps incorrectly!) that it's a normal pregnancy symptom.

I know the shortness of breath is a normal pregnancy symptom which is why I never worried about it, but now that I am having it with these other symptoms of racing heart and sweating and light headed and hot flashes I'm thinking that may be something else and not so typical.
  • Options
    I've been getting this too! Would love some insight. I figured it was more 3rd tri fun but if not would like to know

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • Options
    I asked about all of these symptoms at my appointment a few days ago, and our doctor said it's perfectly normal. I don't have GD, my BP is normal, and my weight gain is minimal and steady. Everything is getting squished in there, and as our babies shift their weight, they'll press against nerves and organs that can all cause different reactions. If you start feeling really yucky, or it doesn't subside after changing position, you should mention it to your doctor. Also, just being pregnant, our airways are thicker, and it's more common to feel asthmatic symptoms.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Options
    Have you had your iron checked recently?
  • Options
    I've been having hot flashes since pretty much the beginning, and I've recently been having shortness of breath from time to time.  I can also feel the baby moving way up high right now though, so I think she's just squishing things.
  • Options
    So glad you posted this. I felt like this a couple days ago, and then again this morning in church, but it was much worse. It didn't help that it was warm in there. We came home, and I've been resting and hydrating ever since, on a DH mandated bed rest for the day. Glad to know it's not just me. But I still plan on asking my OB about it this week.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"