Secondary IF

Intro and mid-cycle spotting question

Hi Ladies,

I don't know the best board to post this question on.  DH and I have been TTC our second for a year, but I just started cycling again a month ago, so I guess we really haven't had any "skin in the game" until now.  I tried posting on IF Veterans board and was told to post somewhere else, so I guess I'll try on this board.  I really hope I'm not offending anyone.  I realize there is a difference between impatience and IF, but my background puts me on high alert for cycle and fertility issues. 

Background:  I was diagnosed with unexplained IF 4 years ago.  I never regained my period after I discontinued BC, and Dr's weren't able to get it medically going again for 2 years.  Once they finally got me cycling again (provera, clomid, ovidrel, TI and IUI, progesterone supps), DH was diagnosed with testicular cancer, so I stopped treatments.  DH had a testicle removed, they found the cancer to be very rare, and it wouldn't respond to chemo or radiation (blessing in disguise because we didn't have to worry about him losing his ability to produce healthy sperm), so he had to have a high-risk lymph-node dissection.  He came through with flying colors, and I started taking herbal tincture, began following a grain/dairy/legume free diet, and doing acupuncture, and 9 months later, we got pregnant naturally.  DS is now a year old.

I got my period back the first week in January.  I had what I thought may have been mid-cycle spotting about 30 days before my period started, but when I looked back at my cervical position and mucus, I believe it may actually have been my "warning period."  Meaning I had 2-3 days of spotting, 16 days later I had EWCM and a positive OPK (no sex in our house at the time because all 3 of us were suffering from the world's worst cold=not sexy), and 13 days after that I started my period.  Well, I'm on CD 16 now, and I had 2 days of spotting on CD 13-14.  I'm not showing any fertile signs yet.  I'm wondering if anyone else who's regained their cycle had mid-cycle spotting?  I never had it before I had DS, and I know it can be totally normal (i.e. drop in estrogen before ovulation or follicles bursting), but it's just something new, and I'm wondering if anyone else dealt with this post-partum. 

Thanks for your input.

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!

Re: Intro and mid-cycle spotting question

• Find and read the Popular Opinions post, please. Thanks...
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Welcome. I am sorry, I don't have any advice. I an lucky and have had spot-on cycles my whole adult life with the occasional whacky spotting, even post-partum. I think in your specific case this would be a good question for the doctor handling your IF.

• Loading the player...
  • Wait- I do have a question. Have you been breast feeding?
  • Yeah, breastfeeding jacked up my cycle for quite a long time.  I never had any mid cycle bleeding though.
    November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Yeah, breastfeeding jacked up my cycle for quite a long time.  I never had any mid cycle bleeding though.

I tried to scroll past this and hit "flag" but hopefully clicked out of it. Just letting' you know I don't find this offensive.. :)
  • Yes, my son still nurses before bed and upon waking, and I know it can throw things off (hell, it took 12 months to start cycling again).  I'm looking for other's experiences with mid-cycle spotting and IF.  Due to my work schedule, I can't see my RE until after April 15, so I'm stuck charting and researching right now.  As I stated in my OP, I'm hyper-vigilant of my fertility signs, mostly because I'm so grateful to have them after going years without anything.
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • It sounds like bfing might still be working its magic on your cycle. Maybe ask on the Breastfeeding board? I think there are ladies who have tandem nursed and they might have some insight into what's going on. I wish I had more info for you but I don't.
  • Damn BFing.  I know it's the best for him, and I really enjoy it as well.  I also know another child may not be in the cards for us, so I'm not willing to stop something we both enjoy for something that may never happen for us.  Maybe I'll feel differently in April when I get closer to my RE appointment those hefty clinic and meds bills. 
  • It took about a year for my cycles to come back mostly due to breastfeeding.  That time also doesn't count towards trying at least not to any of the OB's I went to.  I never had any mid cycle bleeding though.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• bennikki said:
    Damn BFing.  I know it's the best for him, and I really enjoy it as well.  I also know another child may not be in the cards for us, so I'm not willing to stop something we both enjoy for something that may never happen for us.  Maybe I'll feel differently in April when I get closer to my RE appointment those hefty clinic and meds bills. 
    I feel this exact same way!  My son is just over one year and we still BF.  I have been charting and ttc for the last 9 months and my cycles have been pretty random with occasion random spotting.  I would say that since you are just getting back to a normal cycle and you hadn't had a normal pre-pregnacy cycle, the only thing you can do now is wait and see.  It may have been a fluke that you had spotting those last two times, or it may become one of your fertile signs.  But, either way, you'll only really be able to know with time.  The more cycles you have, the more data you have to compare.  I know that's not too helpful, but at this point, I wouldn't read much into it.  

GL and welcome.
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • Momarazzi007Momarazzi007 member
    edited January 2014
    So, I bf'd for two years - didn't get period back til 16 months pp and don't ovulate for another few monthes. Maybe- in same boat? Period just getting back to normal? I too finally stopped bfing at 2 yrs so we could gear up for FET- had to have stopped a few cycles before for prolactin to get back to normal. Even a night time feeding can mess that up. I agreed w two pp and annibes has good idea to check with bf board- everyone is different- but a board of them- some might be able to help you better :)
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ditto on the BF and the RE said nothing to do until I stopped which fixed some of the spotting issues but didn't make me have regular periods. I have diagnosed PCOS though so hopefully once you stop thinga will go back to normal. It's a really tough decision choosing between breast feeding your current baby and trying to have baby number two.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"