March 2014 Moms
Options

Spent the morning at L&D *Update 1 & 2*

AshleyO925AshleyO925 member
edited February 2014 in March 2014 Moms
I woke up this morning with some chest pain.  I took a shower figuring it would go away, but it didn't. I got my flu and Tdap last week and I have been congested since so when it didn't go away I called my regular PCM (I have tricare prime).  When I said I had chest pain to the appointment scheduler, they transferred me to the nurse at the clinic.  Once I said I was pregnant she told me to call the OB at my hospital (where I go for OB appointments).

I tried calling for about an hour this morning but the number wasn't working. I'm guessing the advice nurse isn't there with the crazy NC snow/ice storm from a few days ago.  Well during this hour of trying to call my midwife, the pain got worse so I decided to go to the ER. My healthcare is completely free and I figured better safe than sorry. Once they saw how pregnant I was they sent me to L&D instead.  I tried explaining I'm not in labor just having chest pain, but anyway, they put me in a triage room and hooked me up to all the monitors.

I was not having any contractions, babies HR was fine etc.  At that point they decided to do an EKG which was terrifying with 12 probes hooked up to me and that came out fine.  After two hours there the doctor decides it is from baby kicking me in the ribs repeatedly to the point where it bruised my muscle and is causing muscle spasms which in turn has pushed a rib sort of out of place.  She said there isn't much I can do but to take tylenol and she gave me some stretches to do.

Needless to say I wasted my morning at L&D to find out I now have yet another uncomfortable side effect of pregnancy in addition to my SPD to cause me pain which is "normal" for the next five weeks.  Teaching is going to be a joy on Monday.  Also, do I get brownie points for calling my Dr instead of consulting TB? 
Update: I'm back at labor and delivery. Pain got infinitely worse today to the point where no position helps and I'm just in constant pain. This time I have a fever and some other symptoms. They think it may be pneumonia and could be sending me for a chest X-ray soon. I'm just glad I'm not crazy and there is something actually wrong not just "muscle pain." Will update again with a diagnosis and thanks everyone for your concern and well wishes!

Update 2: They did a chest x-ray and my lungs were slightly spotty, but the doctor was worried I might have a pulmonary embolism so he ordered a CT Scan which came out clear.  They are treating me for pneumonia with an antibiotic and I have to go for a follow up in three days.  We were at the hospital for 8 hours yesterday just for two tests.  I am still in a lot of pain, but hoping it subsides in the next few days with the medicine.  Thanks everyone for the T&Ps!
image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Spent the morning at L&D *Update 1 & 2*

• Options
    Glad to hear that all is okay with you and LO. Hopefully that rib out of place won't cause you an extreme amount of pain for the next 5 weeks!
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Oh goodness! So glad it wasn't anything bad but good for you for going in to be safe!
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ouch! That sounds like a no fun morning. I hope it starts feeling better!
  • Options
    Ouch! Sorry LO is abusing your ribcage! Hopefully the stretching will help! At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You only have about 5 weeks to go!

IAmPregnant Ticker image VOTE on my Name List
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 
    March Siggy Theme
  • Options
    That sounds awful but I'm glad everything is ok. 

• Options
    Glad all turned out ok!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Oh on the plus side, two weeks ago LO was breech and I can now safely safe LO is head down ready to go. The downside of that being my ribs taking a beating, but I'll take a win where I can get one  :D
    image image
  • Options
    Glad you and your baby are ok!
  • Options
    Idk how it'd work with tricare but can you ask for a referral for physical therapy, a good PT should be able to get your rib back into place if it's dislocated. It might help a little. Hope you feel better!
  • Options
    Brownie points? You deserve some real damn brownies! You're much tougher than I am! Good luck to you Mama! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Ah it's not a waste of time in L&D.  ER will always send us up there no matter what the complaint is, and in my experience they are faster than ER anyway.

I'm glad nothing serious was wrong, and baby is happy.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Breast Cancer diagnosis 12/01/2010 - Survivor and Cancer free as of 03/22/2011
    BFP#1 04/12/201
    1 - fetal demise - MC 05/28/2011
    BFP#2 10/14/2011 - fetal demise - MC 12/13/2011
    BFP#3 05/30/2012 - fetal demise - MC 07/23/2012
    IVF#1 02/14/2013 - 2 Beautiful Blasts transferred
    BFP#4 02/25/2013 - BFP - MC and ectopic 03/06/2013

IFV#2 07/02/2013 -BFP#5 - 07/07/2013
    1st Beta 07/11/2013 - 483 (9dp5dt) - 2nd Beta 07/13/2013 1006 (11dp5dt)
    1st U/S 07/31/2013 - TWINS! "The Minions"
    IVF#3 BFP#6 09/01/2015 6dp5dt
    1st Beta 09/05/2015 - 105 - 2nd Beta 09/08/2015 335
    1st U/S 09/22/2015 - .......

• Options
    Ooohh ouch!!! You poor thing :( Glad LO is okay!

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ouch! I had chest/ rib pain the other day. For about an hour I was convienced I was having a pulmonary emboli.
  • Options
    My chiro helped with a misaligned rib earlier in the pregnancy. Maybe try that? And yes, many brownie points to you!!
  • Options
    Can I add to the things DH should never say to a pregnant girl? He came home all crabby and I'm still in pain and he goes well at least you are building up your tolerance for a natural birth.  I tried to calmly explain that was not funny and the two pains are unrelated and unlike him I have no desire to build up my tolerance for chest pain which lead to a big argument. Ugh, men just don't get it at all!
    image image
  • Options
    100 points! Chest pain is no joke, no matter what the cause. I agree, you deserve real brownies too!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Back at the hospital. Update in original post!
    image image
  • Options
    Ouch! What a rough day. Hoping you don't have pneumonia and that whatever is causing all this pain clears up soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Saw your update... Thinking of you momma! Hope you get some answers and some relief soon!!!
  • Options
    Sorry. Hopefully that figure out what's going on soon. Get better soon.
    Married 4-26-2011  Me 31 DH 28  
    TTC since 12/2011  
    5/4/13-IUI #1=BFN,  6/3/13-IUI #2=BFN, 7/1/2013-IUI #3=BFP!!!
    Little Man arrived 3/28/14 at 10:32pm
    9 lb 1 oz & 21 3/4 inches

• Options
    Happy thoughts its not pneumonia.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"