January 2014 Moms
Options

Any one else have to go dairy-free?

Just want some people to commiserate with!  Some days I feel like I can't eat anything!  It's not true of course, there's lots of healthy food to eat.  But when I have company over and I serve them some baking, I want some too for crying out loud.  All the baking I did before DD2 was born contains milk or butter.  
That being said, does anyone have a favourite dairy-free cookie recipe?  I googled, and there are SO many to pick from I don't know where to start...and I don' t have time to make 5 different recipes to find a good one.  Brownie points if you include a recipe/link, and if it's something easy enough that DD1 can help me make! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image  image

Re: Any one else have to go dairy-free?

• Options
    I've been dairy free for about 6 years now (DH is lactose intolerant). And we always use almond milk in sub of milk and it always turns out great with everything (cookies, cake, pancakes, eggs). There is also lactose free butter you can purchase! And cheese. Tastes like the real thing.
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • Options
    Lactose free milk is awesome! I'm mildly lactose intolerant (can't drink milk, but can do cheese/yogurt and occasionally ice cream) and discovered lact aid brand stuff (cottage cheese, milk) and soy joy ice cream.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had to go dairy free for LO- even the slightest trace of milk makes her gassy and miserable :( I would love to see recipes posted too! I miss my cheese and ice cream :(

baby development

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    ababymaybeababymaybe member
    edited January 2014
    Post Punk Kitchen (website) and the authors cookbooks are great. My DS is allergic to dairy so I do a lot of vegan baking- though he tolerated me consuming it while I nursed him (just not when directly eaten).

I am not avoiding anything with this LO, we will see what happens though.

I often use So delicious plain unsweetened coconut milk in lieu of milk for cooking and baking. It's pretty flavorless as opposed to soy or other subs.

A lot of vegans rave about Daiya fake cheese. You could try it. I think maybe people who haven't had the real deal in awhile find it more appealing.... I find it gross and DS won't eat it either. I generally just omit cheese from his dishes, not too hard to do with meat and veggie type meals.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I had to go dairy free for LO- even the slightest trace of milk makes her gassy and miserable :( I would love to see recipes posted too! I miss my cheese and ice cream.

baby development

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I love almond milk so far, and tried soy cheese but that's disgusting.  I can't eat that.  I've substituted almond milk in for pancakes and they were good!  So far I've been able to get away with putting a splash of milk into my coffee/tea and it's been ok, but I haven't dared to try adding yogurt into my diet.  The amount she fusses just isn't worth it. 
    After this jug of Almond milk is gone I think I'll try lactose free milk, just to try find out if DD2 is completely dairy intolerant or just lactose intolerant.  
    I'll take a look at the post punk kitchen website, thanks!

image  image

• Options
    I was last time, both dairy and soy free.  First, check the mspi check ins on the breastfeeding board, they can help.

Yoiu may know, but its not the lactose Thats the issue, its the protein, so lactose free doesn't help. 

Butter may not cause a reaction since most of the proteins are processed out. 

Some items you can eat: oreos, larabars, triscuits original, Kroger tortilla, hummus, prego original.  I also found a brand of potato bread I could eat.  (All are dairy and soy free). And there are some Amy's brand items you can eat, as well as a coconut milk ice cream.

• Options
    I'm not drinking milk, but occasionally use butter. And eat some cheese. But I haven't really tried ice cream, and it's been more of a preventative measure, since I had to do the same with my other 3. I've been drinking soy milk. It took getting used to, but whatever. I drink the Light Original 8th Continent, it's not as soy-y as Silk.
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

• Options
    @wedbliss5 - thanks!  I hadn't even thought to check the breastfeeding board.  I don't have much time for our board, but I'll be sure to watch for check-ins over there. I also didn't realize that it was the proteins, not the lactose.  Thanks - I think you probably just saved me a fussy night :)

I miss my cheese and yogurt.  But I'll adjust - this makes me eat healthier anyways, so it's maybe a good thing.  Now I cook an egg for breakfast instead of a bowl of cereal. It's 'just' a lifestyle change!  

image  image

• Options
    wedbliss5wedbliss5 member
    edited January 2014
    Oatmeal is another great thing for breakfast, and its suppose to be good for your milk supply too.

I also found that since dd1 was so sensitive to both dairy and soy, i had to eliminate all hidden proteins. Dining out was a pain, i could go to Jasons Deli, Firehouse subs (order w/o cheese), and Chipotle since they all had allergens listed on their website. Otherwise i did salads with oil and vinegar, no meat, cheese, or croutons. I found so many meats had soy, so out may not be an issue for you.

Its been 5 years since i had to give it all up, but feel free to page me if you have any questions. I remember how hard it was for me at first.

• Options
    I've been at it for two weeks and I use coconut milk in place of milk and applesauce in place of eggs when baking. I also use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. It worked for apple pie, peach cobbler, and pancakes. Going to try cookies and a cake next week. Visit wwwgodairyfree.org for recipes
  • Options
    slmille4 said:

Lactose free milk is awesome! I'm mildly lactose intolerant (can't drink milk, but can do cheese/yogurt and occasionally ice cream) and discovered lact aid brand stuff (cottage cheese, milk) and soy joy ice cream.

Where does one find this magical cottage cheese??? Is it in regular section?? I've never seen it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

slmille4 said:

Where does one find this magical cottage cheese??? Is it in regular section?? I've never seen it
    In my stores it is right by the regular cottage cheese.
  • Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and I use almond milk or rice milk. Sometimes I'll use coconut milk for cooking and baking. Also I use A LOT of lactose free butter.
    For cookies I've been recently hooked on cinnamon roll cookies. They're actually pretty easy to make and your DD1 can help decorate them and stuff too! :)
  • Options
    I went dairy free with my last baby. I feel your pain! He is still dairy free.

Speaking of brownies, most are dairy free. Mixes are made with oil. Or you can make them "healthy" with applesauce (1:1).
    We also recently found Immaculate Baking company has dairy free/gluten free break and bake cookies. They are AH maz-ING!

If you are baking, you can sub in applesauce or banana for milk. You can also use alternative milks (almond, coconut, soy) and creams. Canned coconut cream - just use the solid portion (TJs) whips up just like whip cream.

If you need any more tips PM me. I have quite a few up my sleeve. I can also help with specific recipes to make them dairy free.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• Options
    This quick bread is delicious, dairy free and easy!
    https://www.food.com/recipe/marbled-cinnamon-sugar-quick-bread-107869

• Options
    These are good. I use earth balance margarine and enjoy life choc chips:

https://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies-no-eggs-3954

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    My husband is severely lactose intolerant. I just use lactose free milk in all of my cooking. Butter and cheese are more complicated unfortunately.

There are certain cheeses that lose their lactose after being aged for a long time. It's easy to Google this question for more ideas too.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity how did you know you had to go dairy free vs just normal baby gas? Was it a lot more severe?
  • Options
    wifetomrb101wifetomrb101 member
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!
    @slmille4 - I played around with it.  She seemed to be really fussy after meals I had had dairy.  It took a few days to figure out of course.  After 2 days of dairy free her gas was much less - more like DD1 when she was a baby.  DD2 was writhing in pain on the bed and crying hard. I kind of thought there's no way this can be normal baby gas, but who knows.  So I figured I'd try dairy free to see if she got better and it helped.  Then I introduced 1 bottle a day and just used formula I had in the house (Similac - milk based!) and she had a terrible night again.  So it took a few days of trial/error and rough nights vs. better nights to figure out.  
    @WinsyWade - thanks.  I hadn't figured out yet that I can actually sub apple sauce or banana for milk. That's awesome!  And healthier.  I'll be giving your suggestions a try, thanks.  I find dairy free meals are pretty simple, it's the snacks that are harder.  I'm used to eating crackers/cheese and other 'healthy' snacks that all have dairy!  But I'm just eating my fruit now, and finally getting the amount of fruit in a day that I should be getting (according to the Canada Food Guide).
    Since posting the question yesterday I've spent my nap-times googling ideas for dairy free and learning a little more about it.  I made yummy brownies this morning ;) 
    ETA: my mom had to go dairy free with most of her kids (9!) so she recognized some of the symptoms DD2 was having too. 

image  image

• Options
    I was dairy and soy free for DD.  I am just starting to eliminate dairy for DS2. I subbed in almond milk when making baked oatmeal and pancakes.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Options
    I was contemplating it, but DS3 seems to be burping better and less gassy. My friend who did it said she got really skinny! So there's an upside. Good luck, I know it must be tough!

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options
    There are some great ideas and recipes, thanks! I'm trying out dairy-free to see if that helps my LO.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    For those who have gone dairy free for your LOs, did you notice any correlation between your own digestion and your baby's? Yesterday my stomach was a mess, and I can't decide if Jude has been extra fussy or if I'm projecting!
    Ashley, FTM, Age 31, Southern California
    Jude Meyer was born January 12, 2014, at 21 inches, 7lb, 8oz.

image imageimage
  • Options
    @ashybear - all I've noticed so far is that it's much easier to poo...it just kind of falls out (TMI? sorry). DD2 definitely has an easier time pooping too.  Or at least, she poops more often on the days I didn't have dairy.  It's hard to tell.

image  image

• Options
    I was chatting with a friend who is DF for the second time with her DD2. She was saying that reflux is a common side effect of dairy allergy. I didn't realize that sneezing after a feeding and laughing noises were signs of reflux. Those along with more obvious signs spit-up and gagging/choking, have made me realize that my DD2 will need to be DF as well.

• Options
    WinsyWade said:
    I was chatting with a friend who is DF for the second time with her DD2. She was saying that reflux is a common side effect of dairy allergy. I didn't realize that sneezing after a feeding and laughing noises were signs of reflux. Those along with more obvious signs spit-up and gagging/choking, have made me realize that my DD2 will need to be DF as well.
    Ok, this is good to know. DD is still sneezing a little, definitely not like she used too and she used to laugh after every feeding.  I thought it was so cute - she was laughing cuz her belly was full and she was content.  Now I feel bad!  I kind of wondered if she had a bit of reflux because of her gagging/spitting, but I didn't realize that the laughing/sneezing is part of it.  Thanks for telling me this! 

image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"