July 2012 Moms

Sib-set bitch fest

Please to pardon me, I'm super grouchy since MH and I cannot agree on names for this new kid.

WTF is a sib set?  Why do I have to take DS's name into consideration when naming another kid? How do I know if they "go" together?  Can I have a Dmitri and a Tyrone? Gwendolyn? Diego? I have no idea now.

Serious question, is this a thing in real life or just the baby name board? If it's real, how do I tell what "goes" with Dmitri?

I like you ladies and value your opinions. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
>>>---FSU--->

Re: Sib-set bitch fest

• I agree with JennMM. I think it is a current trend right now. I have several friends that did this, all of their kids have names that start with the same letter or they even have the same initials. IMO I think it is silly and will just go with the name I like best.
  • As long as they each sound good with the last name, I don't think it matters.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I like when the names work together or have the same feel. They don't have to start with the same letter or have some kind of theme or anything. I just like them to sound like they belong together. 
    This is how I feel.  I want them to at least sound like they're part of the same family.
  • I don't think you want them to really "match" per say but you would want them to sound nice together. Dmitri is Russian, right? So I would probably look to other Russian type names (Alexi, Katerina, Natasha, etc.). But that's just me. Just curious, what do you have in mind?

• @sarasansh yes I do love that movie and the name! @bcbuzzafsu I've totally screwed myself with sibling names - we named Dagny after the main character in Atlas Shrugged and I have no clue what we will do if we have another girl. A boy will be no problem because there are Ayn Rand character names I like for boys but none for girls. So I've named Dagny a unique name that has a lot of meaning to my H and I - no way we can duplicate that for another girl! We didn't think that through.... :)

• There's a website nymbler.com where you can type in a name, and it will generate a list of names that you would prob also like since you like that one. When we were at a loss naming DS2, that site had some good suggestions.

Typing in dmitri and asking for girls' names, a decent list pops up. I did see "Manya" on the list - which was one of my L&D nurses' names that I liked.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks guys!  I feel better about it now.

@britbratjf I like Graham, Wyatt and Tyrone for a boy.  I'm totally stumped on girl names.  I do like Tonya, but I'm not sold. I like Ruby too, but DH thinks it sounds like an old lady or a dog name.

@NextVerseUnknown That is cool, I'll check that website out. Thanks!

>>>---FSU--->

• totaly they should go in my eyes. im not going to have a Lilah and a Sydney. Dosent sound good together. Now Lilah and a Julia sounds nice.

• i did lilahs name and I got Indigo.....No.....they dont go....

• I think it is totally subjective - if you like the name and you think it sounds good when you pronounce them together (because you will say their names together a lot when you call them :)) then I don't see any reason not to go with the name.

I like Dmitri a lot, and being of russian origin I can suggest few russian origin names that sound good with Dmitri for my ear.

Boys - Alex, Andrew, Ivan.

Girls - Tanya, Masha (Maria), Anna

I have not heard that you should consider how common or unique your child name is when you name a sibling. My first son has a very common name (Peter) and my second's name is quite unique (Artemiy) but it did not bother me until I read this thread. Ha ha!

Good luck choosing a name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thanks @babywinks! I wouldn't have thought of it and it's a pretty name!

• I like when siblings names are of the same type, like more classic or more modern, or both Biblical or from the same nationality. I actually like Robert Edgar better since we decided on Benjamin Clarence for baby #2. I just think Robert and Benjamin sound so nice together, as do Rob and Ben. I don't like it when names rhyme or all sound really similar. A lot of kids at my school are named things like Tre'Ron and Tre'Shawn, or everyone is La-something.
    GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
    BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
    BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
    BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"