Potty Training
Options

Bare Bottom Potty Training 19 mo Girl

punkn82punkn82 member
edited January 2014 in Potty Training
My daughter does not like to wear diapers. We have been loosely working on bare bottom potty training for over 2 months. She has not wore diapers during the day at home everyday for the last several weeks. Sometimes she will go to the potty on her own, sometimes she will tell me she needs to pee pee and I put her on the potty, and sometimes she will go on the floor and tell me while she is going or not say anything until she is done. She typically wakes once during the night and wants her diaper changed. Anyone else using this method have quicker results, or does the time frame of several months seem okay? Please feel free to offer any suggestions or positive advice. Thanks!

Re: Bare Bottom Potty Training 19 mo Girl

• Options
    I think everyone is going to have different experiences.  Instead of bare bottom have you tried just putting her in underwear and then congratulating her for them being dry (when they are)?  I know you said at times she'll tell you but maybe if 2 hours have past and she hasn't told you tell her its time for a potty break.  Pretty soon she's going to get sick of you telling her when to go and she'll speak up all the time.  I PT my older kids when they were 15 & 17 months old- it took my 15 month old 2 days and my 17 month old 4 days. We PT for daytime, naps and bedtime and just one day stopped using diapers and had them wear underwear.  Currently, I'm getting my 13 month old ready because she'll pee prior to naps and after naps and then most times tells us after she's peed and stays dry for 2 hours at a time.  I just started 2 weeks ago just doing that and figure next month I'll carve some time out and just stop putting her in diapers because she's clearly ready and wanting to do it. 

P.S.- don't let people discourage you for PT at this age. I personally feel that its a perfect time- its right before the "no phase" hits and they really think its fun!  I've also had people tell me PT at "young" ages leads to more regressions and we've never experienced that- not with the birth of a new sibling, starting preschool for the first time, etc. 

Best of luck- she's doing great!  I say just have more confidence in her!
  • Options

Thank you!

We will give underwear a try and work toward more consistent results! She is very interested in using the potty and gets really excited when she makes it there, so I do think we are close.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did bare bottom too, and one she was fairly reliable to use the potty on her own that way, I started putting underwear (Gerber training pants) on her instead and teaching her how to pull them off. She's now potty trained at home at 22 months ( it was a multi month endeavour for us too) and we are working on using big public potties. She will tell me but then is afraid to use it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"