Cloth Diapering

Tula vs Ergo

I have an Ergo carrier, as well as a K'Tan. I see raves about Tulas, but they look pretty similar to Ergos. If you have both, what's the difference? Thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tula vs Ergo

• It's all about fit. Before I dove into the world of babywearing I had an Ergo. I thought it was the best stuff ever. Then I went to some BWI meetings and tried some of the other ones out like Tula and Kinderpack. All of the sudden the areas that would pinch or hurt after a few minutes no longer hurt, my lower back no longer ached. Ergo's are great for getting into it or for a cheap option. The other SSC's out there fit so much better. I can wear my Tula for hours. I can wear my SO's Ergo for 20 minutes before I have to take it off.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am looking at the toddler Tula carrier. DS is 10 months, 30" and maybe 23 pounds? Haven't checked in a month. He is tall and skinny; I am 5'2" and petite; DH is 5'11" but he uses the Ergo sport carrier without issues right now.

I live in a rural area with nowhere to try on carriers, unfortunately.

• Loading the player...
  • I have a toddler Tula. It's great. Nice wide base for larger babies/toddlers, nice tall body, and the straps are nice and padded. It's been my favorite carrier so far.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks! I just sprang for one at Abby's Lane tonight - they had a sale on them. This counts as DS' Valentine's Day present, right?!

• It's all about fit. Before I dove into the world of babywearing I had an Ergo. I thought it was the best stuff ever. Then I went to some BWI meetings and tried some of the other ones out like Tula and Kinderpack. All of the sudden the areas that would pinch or hurt after a few minutes no longer hurt, my lower back no longer ached. Ergo's are great for getting into it or for a cheap option. The other SSC's out there fit so much better. I can wear my Tula for hours. I can wear my SO's Ergo for 20 minutes before I have to take it off.
    Not really a "cheap option". They're only twenty or so dollars less. To me that's about the same
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Mandmeesh said:
    It's all about fit. Before I dove into the world of babywearing I had an Ergo. I thought it was the best stuff ever. Then I went to some BWI meetings and tried some of the other ones out like Tula and Kinderpack. All of the sudden the areas that would pinch or hurt after a few minutes no longer hurt, my lower back no longer ached. Ergo's are great for getting into it or for a cheap option. The other SSC's out there fit so much better. I can wear my Tula for hours. I can wear my SO's Ergo for 20 minutes before I have to take it off.
    Not really a "cheap option". They're only twenty or so dollars less. To me that's about the same
    Tula's and Kinderpacks are more in the 150+ price range. Ergo's are more in the 60-100 price point and much more widely available. They are more of the mainstream SSC's and usually are what draws people in to try other carriers.
  • My ergo was like $140. I've never used it. O
    I prefer my Ktan.

DH will wear the ergo, but again...he prefers the Ktan.

• My ergo was like $140. I've never used it. O I prefer my Ktan. DH will wear the ergo, but again...he prefers the Ktan.
    I have a k'tan and I use it and I like it, but I was looking at the Ergo and/or Tula to make sure it was the best and safesty position for M.  Does the k'tan provide the correct sitting position for babies in the carrier? 

• The Ktan can, but it's essentially a stretchy wrap. So once you hit 15 plus pounds it has serious sag. Also, I've only seen the fancy performance or sport ones that much. I've had 2 and never paid more than 100 bucks for one. I normally buy on sale though.
  • Bringing this back up...is the difference between the Tula baby and toddler carriers really just the size of the carrier? M is pretty small, ten months and maaaaaaaybe 17lbs. The regular baby carrier will be plenty big, right? No need for the toddler one? I don't have a place to try any on

• Yes. The base and body of a toddler Tula is larger. I have one for Cade. He is still kinda small ish for it.
  • I've never heard of the Tula carriers before this.  I was leaning toward the Ergo, but now I'm changing my mind.  I see Tula makes an extender that widens the base of the standard size for later on.  I'm sure it's not the same as the toddler size but it might save you from buying two.  I'm all for that.

• I think that is more for shortening the base for smaller babies. The standard size is nice though. No carrier will last till toddler size though. Many people do not need it though. I do.
  • I think that is more for shortening the base for smaller babies. The standard size is nice though. No carrier will last till toddler size though. Many people do not need it though. I do.

Thanks!  I'm just starting to look at this stuff.  Do you think the infant insert is needed?  Or is it better to get something like a K'tan for the beginning?  I had been wondering about that with the Ergo too. 

Thanks!  I'm just starting to look at this stuff.  Do you think the infant insert is needed?  Or is it better to get something like a K'tan for the beginning?  I had been wondering about that with the Ergo too. 
    I really liked having a different wrap for the newborn stage.  I used the Ergo with the infant insert a couple times, but LO was born in June, and I think the infant insert is a bit too hot for the summer.  So I would look into another/different carrier for a newborn.  I bought a nice (summer-weight) woven wrap that I can use for ages that felt really secure at the newborn stage.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Yeah I prefer wraps for NB. The infant insert is hot.
  • Thanks for the tips!  I'm due the first week of August.  I hadn't thought about the insert being hot.  What infant wraps do you prefer?  I've seen the K'tan mentioned a bunch of times as a favorite.  Any others?

• Yeah I prefer wraps for NB. The infant insert is hot.

The infant insert is hot, but I really liked just the pillow or a rolled up towel would work, once he had head control.
  • I didn't like the pillow thing either. Cade hated it as well. I had a Moby with my daughter and wasn't a fan. I really think the best thing for the NB stage is a good woven. I'd do a nice cotton or light woven like a linen blend for summer babies/newborns. It's much easier to do a good front carry in a woven with wee ones. I'm not a huge fan of the K'tan as it's just a pre wrapped Moby, but it's sized and difficult to get the right fit.
  • Thanks for the tips!  I'm due the first week of August.  I hadn't thought about the insert being hot.  What infant wraps do you prefer?  I've seen the K'tan mentioned a bunch of times as a favorite.  Any others?
    I bought a bali breeze from wrapsody.  It's a summer weight wrap that I felt did really well with the summer heat (I live in the South) - and they used to have a discounted wrap section (I can't find it on their new website though).  They're around the $80 range, which is on the less expensive end of wraps (I think?) and I have really liked mine.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
    I bought a bali breeze from wrapsody.  It's a summer weight wrap that I felt did really well with the summer heat (I live in the South) - and they used to have a discounted wrap section (I can't find it on their new website though).  They're around the $80 range, which is on the less expensive end of wraps (I think?) and I have really liked mine.
    Ohhh they're pretty too!!

• Wovens are very pretty. Which is why they are bad news for us who like to have all the pretty things! I have a Girasol. I love it, but I really really want a hemp blend for Cade.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"