Baby Names

Xoana

Just cuz it's slow.

I am forever trying to find an appealing feminine form of John to use as a possible MN for a phantom baby girl.  This is the Galician feminine form of John (the region of Spain that my H's fam is from).  It's said like SHO-na. 

My H's name, my Grandma's name and my father's MN are all different forms of John, just FTR (and why the obsession).

WDYT?  Or if you have a favorite feminie form of John I would love to hear it. 

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

Re: Xoana

• I know youve probably nixed it already, but I love Johanna !
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Honestly, no matter how old it is, it looks made up and trying really hard to be trendy.

Johanna is nms, but it's classic and elegent. Related forms could be Jacquetta, Joanna... I'm sure I'm missing a few here.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Luna C said:

Honestly, no matter how old it is, it looks made up and trying really hard to be trendy.

Johanna is nms, but it's classic and elegent. Related forms could be Jacquetta, Joanna... I'm sure I'm missing a few here.

I also think it probably looks that way if you aren't familiar with Spanish, which I guess is a concern.

DD is Josephine, so we are trying to stay away from "Jo" names.  She's named for another fam member.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Hmmm...not quite sure how I feel about it. It's definitely intriguing, and I really like the sound of it.
    Me: 27   DH: 28
    Married: November 2015
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I get where you're coming from... but I don't really like it.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I actually really like it - if I had any cultural ties AT ALL, I'd totally use it as a first name.
  • I actually really like it - if I had any cultural ties AT ALL, I'd totally use it as a first name.

Thanks!

Also, your screen name is seriously making my day right now.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I'm torn. I like your reasoning for it, and I like the way it's pronounced, but I agree that it looks made up. Nobody is going to know how to say it. I'd maybe consider it for a middle name though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • bromios said:
    Its antiquity makes me want to say, "YAY! DO IT!" but the amount of mispronunciation would make me cautious. My favorite feminine form of John is a tie between Johanna (pronounced Jo-hannah - not at all my usual style, but it just has so much oomph to it!) and Giovanna (very much my style and totally gorgeous). 

I am sort of not concerned with mispronunciation for a MN as much as a FN, but yeah I am sure it will cause some head scratches.

Giovanna was my grandmother's name, and as much as I want to -- I just don't like it!  Maybe I will come around if/ when I ever have another girl.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I'm torn. I like your reasoning for it, and I like the way it's pronounced, but I agree that it looks made up. Nobody is going to know how to say it. I'd maybe consider it for a middle name though.

Oh yes-- middle name only.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I love the significance of it, and I think it looks and sounds really pretty. Perfect MN choice if you ask me.

I'm a huge fan of names with long histories in general..DD#1 has an antiquity name too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Oh yes-- middle name only.

Oh oops! I guess I didn't notice that you were only considering this as a mn not a first! Sorry! I say go for it then! It's got meaning and character. You've got a lot of leeway with a middle name and it's something she'll be proud to explain to others.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I quite like it since the child would have Galician ties, but I would prefer it in the MN spot just for ease of every day life.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Oops, I didn't read carefully either! So yes, I think it's perfect as a MN!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Please use it! Even as I opened this post I  was wondering if this name has Spanish ties. I think it's a perfect mn for your situation. 

• I like it, but would also be worried about mispronounciation. I knew a woman names Johnna (Jon-na).
    I heard this name....someone on Jeopardy a few weeks ago had it and I think it's kinda cute.  It's like JAW-na... although Alex Trebec kept calling her Johanna.  :-)
  • But I should say... go ahead and use xoana as a MN!  Fun!
  • As a MN, I say go for it. NMS, but I like it. I do love PP's suggestion of Jacquetta as well. My favorite female John names are Jane and Joan, plain, but I adore them.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09 member
    edited February 2014
    I like it a lot but would worry that it would be lumped into a you-nique category by people who weren't familiar with its background.

Eta: Not sure if that would discourage me from using it, though.

• I love it if the pronunciation is actually sho-na by people. if they screw it up and call her shaw-na or anything close to joanna then i dislike.

overall i really love it.
    imageimage
  • I really like it. I'd even use it for a first if I wasn't worried about pronunciation issues.

image  image

• I like the pronunciation a lot, very pretty! But, though this night sound silly, I don't like the LOOK of it... You know, spelled out. Hmmm... Does that matter?

Also, side note: The pronunciation reminds me of Shoshanna, which I love. But way too close to my Johanna to ever use it!

• bromios said:

Its antiquity makes me want to say, "YAY! DO IT!" but the amount of mispronunciation would make me cautious. My favorite feminine form of John is a tie between Johanna (pronounced Jo-hannah - not at all my usual style, but it just has so much oomph to it!) and Giovanna (very much my style and totally gorgeous). 

I am sort of not concerned with mispronunciation for a MN as much as a FN, but yeah I am sure it will cause some head scratches.

Giovanna was my grandmother's name, and as much as I want to -- I just don't like it!  Maybe I will come around if/ when I ever have another girl.

Giovanna nn Gia is SO CUTE THO
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • bromios said:

ZoeMay06 said:

I love the significance of it, and I think it looks and sounds really pretty. Perfect MN choice if you ask me.

I'm a huge fan of names with long histories in general..DD#1 has an antiquity name too.

OMG, I just looked at your siggy and I am in awe (in a good way!). Not only are they such cuties, their names are gorgeous!

Thank you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"