Multiples
Options

Nanny/Housekeeper Help Prior to Twins' Arrival

For those who had an older child prior to having your multiples, did you find doing things with your older child and/or doing things around the house were very difficult? I'm only 15 weeks, but I've been exhausted after doing little things, like going to the grocery store. I run one errand and need to come home and sit down for awhile. My OB wasn't concerned yet, per se, but she did say I need to listen to my body and just stop; however, with my 15 month old DD to deal with, I can't just stop.

We were planning on hiring a nanny to come help prior to the twins being born so that I can get a break with DD and even cleaning a bit. I read in a book (When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads) that with twins you really need to just slow down. Did anyone else find they needed some help while pregnant with multiples? And did you keep a nanny around after the babies arrived? I'm anxious a bit due to my previous twin loss, and want to do whatever I can to keep these babies cooking a long time. I hope I've made sense. I found it hard to word everything haha. TIA! :)
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Nanny/Housekeeper Help Prior to Twins' Arrival

• Options
    I don't have a little one at home yet but we are currently interviewing nannies now. My goal is to have someone hired by mid-Feb. we will have them come for a few hours to help with cleaning before the babies arrive (really to just get comfortable with us and the house). We will be keeping the nanny through my entire Mat leave on a part time basis.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am 13 weeks and have a 14 month old. H does great with N, but I am planning on paying someone to do some housekeeping when I get further along.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a FTM, but at 32 weeks I would really struggle if I had more kids. It's so hard to do anything. If it's doable, I would think having help after 28-30 weeks would be amazing.
    Induction of mo/di twin boys scheduled for 2/24! Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Options
    I wish I could afford to hire the help now.  DD is 3 (almost 4) and DS just turned 2, and doing anything with them is just plain exhausting.  DS is particularly hard because he still needs to be carried across parking lots and still hates getting strapped into his carseat sometimes.  My mom will have off work the whole summer and will be around a lot to help when the babies are born, but I am kind of on my own until then.  I have a lot of help from DH in the evenings/weekends, and I sometimes have a mother's helper for 2-3 hours a week/sometimes get a bit of a break from a friend at church, but I am starting to think I will need to figure something out more regularly...
    DD- Born 03/09/2010
    DS- Born 01/21/2012

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    I'm 22 weeks and have a 20 month old DD.  I hired a part time nanny 2 weeks ago to help me with her in the mornings.  The nanny comes every day from 9-1, and then I'm on my own with my DD during the afternoon after her nap.  It has been such a big help.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I hired cleaning help that came about every other week or so around my 15th week with the twins.
    We were in a split level house at the time where laundry room and playroom were downstairs and bedrooms, living rooms, baths, and kitchen were upstairs. There was no way on earth I could lift the vacuum (ended up actually buying a light weight cheap one so I had one on both floors), clean bathrooms, dust, knock down cobwebs, etc.. She sometimes had her grandson with her that was a little older than my DD1 and they would have a little playdate so it was a win-win. Other times I would schedule her visits around my dr's appointments so I was out of her way and I'd come home to a clean house and could put my feet up and cuddle with DD1.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options

I'm 19wk2d with twins (no other kids).  Cleaning has gotten extremely difficult just in the past week or two - mostly because I've noticed that al the bending really hurts my back, my feet swell even more being up and about while I clean, and the vacuum has started to hurt my back, too.  Housecleaning has always been 100% my responsibility, and on occasion DH will vacuum the bedrooms after I dust, but it's not a priority for him (I hate dirt, it stresses me out!), so it doesn't get done when I ask (and often not until days later, which does no good since the dust has resettled by then!).  I'm looking into housekeepers, even though DH insists that we don't need one.  I'm to the point that I want to know that twice a month someone will come in and just clean the whole house, and if we have time/energy to clean a toilet or run a vacuum in between, then great, but if we don't, it's not the end of the world and we won't be living in filth.  It's worth the money to me not to have to worry about it.  And quite honestly, once the babies get here, I know I'll have even less energy for cleaning, and I'd rather be sleeping when I have any free time.

TTC since July 2011

Me(33): normal HSG; diagnosed with mild PCOS

DH(35): normal SA

*6 cycles no meds, July-Dec. 2011, all BFN

*Clomid for 3 cycles, Jan-March 2011: BFP March 2011

*MC at 6 weeks

*2 cycles off

*Started TTC again July 2012 with Clomid, 6 cycles from July-Dec. 2012, all BFN

*1 cycle no meds: BFN

*1 cycle Femara: BFN

*1st RE visit March 2013 - first IUI in April 2013 with Femara, Menopur, and Novarel (BFN); second IUI in May 2013, same protocol (BFN); two cycle break;  third IUI in August 2013, same protocol (BFN)

*1st IVF cycle, October 2013 (Synarel, Menopur (75 iu), and Gonal-F (150 iu)) -- BFP!!  Saw two babies at our 5wk5d u/s on Oct. 28th!  EDD=June 25, 2014

• Options
    I have a 2.5 year old boy and this is my 2nd pregnancy. I have had to get help a couple times so far with cleaning. My DH is amazing and does 90% of the housework and cooking but I can't even keep up on the 10% that I wanted to do just to help. The cleaning lady has come twice and has helped catch us up on deep cleaning and laundry. She is a godsend.

Mono/Di Twins - Due March 3, 2014 (Realist EDD - Feb 5, 2014)

Mommy to Jericho - 2 Years Old.

• Options
    I didn't need help but I did slow down a lot! Like one thing a day became my goal and I napped a lot. One thing you can do is use a grocery delivery service like pea pod. As far as cleaning and getting the baby things ready I would do as much as you can early on before it gets harder.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. There's an agency a family member used that I called and it's cheaper to use a live-in nanny apparently, so we were debating doing that. It just feels weird to me to have someone living here! I feel like I can do some things sometimes, but other days I'm useless. DH thinks we may as well get a live-in so I have as much help as possible and they would be helpful when the babies get here. Also, getting a part-time nanny can be more difficult apparently, and can't transition to full-time, so I'm just confused now about what I really need/want now. And by the time we get someone, I'll probably be a bit further along even, and someone will definitely be more helpful!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I was just talking to my husband about having someone come twice a month to do deep cleaning.  I am just exhausted after working 12 hour shifts and trying to do laundry, dishes, and grocery shopping... I just want to cry sometimes when I push myself to get stuff done and I am hurting like crazy!   
    BabyFetus Ticker

TTC SINCE 7/2010, BFP-10/2010 ended in miscarriage 11/2010 : (.....
    Progesterone level 4/2011= 11.29. SA normal. HSG normal.
    8/11 Clomid 50mg=BFN progesterone level 35,
    10/11 Clomid 50mg =BFN progesterone level 31,
    11/11 Clomid 50mg=BFN progesterone level 12,
    12/11 Clomid 50mg=Progesterone 31
    01/12-Break from meds-BFN
    Feb-cd3 blood work FSH(5), AMH(0.56) 02/12 Break....
    03/01/12-Clomid 50mg with IUI #1=BFN.
    04/01/12-Another round of clomid with IUI#2=BFN.
    5/8/12-Diagnostic Laparoscopy-found minimal endometriosis and small fibriod.
    June and July-much needed break
    August-Bravelle 75 with IUI#3- BFN
    September-Bravelle injects with IUI #4-BFP!! MC 10/7/12 : ( Sonohysterogram-Normal
    December- Bravelle(3 good follicles & E2 1252) with IUI#5 BFFN :*(
    July IVF #1- BFP! : )  Beta #1-245, #2- 703, #3- 1655, #4- 3553 YAY!  Praying and Praying this one sticks around!
                      1st U/S scheduled for Aug 23rd!  
    Twins!!
    We are having a BOY & a GIRL !!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"