Working Moms

me time in the morning?

I've never been an early riser and have always been in the terrible habit of using the snooze button too much. I'm also a terrible procrastinator. Do any moms get up early in the am before everyone else does to have "me time" to do what you need to do for yourself whether it's exercising or reading for fun or whatever else you would like to do for you and constantly gets pushed to the back burner to do other things.

I love sleep but am thinking about trying to get into this habit. In the financial world they talk about paying yourself first and putting money into your savings first before doing other things. I think that makes sense and have an automatic deduction coming out as soon as I get paid. My thinking is that maybe I start my day by paying myself first and then move on with my day of being a mom, wife, and worker.

Anyone else do this? Success stories and inspiration please!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

Re: me time in the morning?

• I am usually up with my youngest early in the morning and DH leaves around 5:30 am.  So sometimes after the baby goes back to sleep, I will stay up instead of going back to bed for an hour.  Sometimes I do chores or I watch the news or a show I recorded.  It doesn't necessarily qualify as "me" time in the same way a pedicure would, but it is nice to start the day with a little peace and quiet versus being woken up by the kids.

I also find this to be my most productive time of day at home.  In the evenings, we are doing the dinner, bath, and bedtime routine.  After that, I don't have much energy for anything, so I find I can get more done if I just go to bed and get up earlier.
  • Before it turned bonechilling cold on the east coast, I was getting up about 545 for a quick trip to the gym. It was GREAT! I love my sleep but I had to do something for myself and this was really a good start to the day more so for mental state of mind. Once it's above the teens here in the am, I will venture to do it again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • No, but I should. I can work out at lunchtime, so I don't worry about the gym in the morning. I'd just like enough time to get dressed myself and I'd be happy. But he's been getting up early so that hasn't been happening.
  • My days go so much better when I do this. DH leaves for work at 6 so I often get up as he is leaving even though the kids don't get up until 7 or later. I generally use the time to watch the news, drink some coffee and straighten my hair. Sometimes I pump but I hate to be in the middle of that when one of the kids wakes. No matter what I do I feel much more calm and organized starting the day if I get at least 30 minutes to myself in the morning.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • I get up at 5:15 to exercise 3 days per week (and 6 am the other days).  Exercise wouldn't happen if I didn't steal from sleep time to do it.  I make sure to take my full hour for lunch every day for my "me time," whether it's reading a book, running errands, or taking a walk on a nice day.  I hate giving up that time (for meetings or social lunches), because I need it to decompress alone.
    imageimageimage
  • I wouldn't say I have "me time" but I always wake up before the kids so I can shower and get ready in peace. I tried to do that during ML too. I also am more productive b/c kids aren't around so I empty the dishwasher and do any other necessary chores. I can not get motivated to exercise that early in the morning, but I wish I could.
    My "me time" is at night after kids are in bed. I will watch tv or read a book, things that are relaxing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't done it yet, but I do think it's a great idea.  I am thinking I might just pick 2 or 3 mornings a week to get up at 4:45 or 5:00, instead of 5:40, to exercise.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • My alarm goes off before DS wakes up so I can shower and get ready in peace.  I guess you can call that my "me time".  I already get up too early to fit in exercise in the am, but that's not really my priority right now, to be honest! 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• I wake up early and take my dog for a walk - it's my alone time to think and definitely a nice start to my day!  Then I have some time to drink my coffee and glance at the news before the kids and husband are up and going.  Taking the walk is something I just started a few months ago and it has definitely been great for me!  (But now I just crash after the kids are put to bed for the night).
    Amelia Grace born 8/18/11 Austin David born 1/6/13
  • My "me time" is after DS goes to bed.  I am not a morning person, so I get up in just enough time to get myself together and allow DS to get himself together.  DH is already out the door before I get up.

I also carve "me time" out for me during the week.  For example, weekly Zumba class and monthly Moms Night Out events with my mothers' group.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I think I would have to get up too early to do this so I prefer to use the time after my kids have gone to bed to read, watch tv, etc.  Something I have been trying to do more and more in the mornings is realizing that there is really no good sleep after you hit the snooze so it's better to just get up and get going. 

I do leave for work early enough most days that I arrive about 15 minutes early, make my coffee and have a little "me" time then.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I use my "me time" to take naps on the weekends so I definitely would not count getting up early as "me time." I usually am the first up in the morning and get myself ready for work, but that's not exactly me time. I have to look minimally presentable for work so it's more like a professional responsibility to shower, brush my hair, etc. 

For weekday me time, DH & I work that in after DD's bedtime. We take turns depending on who needs it the most. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not a mom yet, but yes, I get up earlier than I need to in the morning so I can have some chill time.   I go to bed early to make this happen.  I don't think it matters what time of day you do this, but I do think it's important.  If you're not a morning person, then stay up later, if that works for you :-)
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Pre-kids, DH and I would get up around 6 and commute in to work together (about 45 mins at that time).  I'd hit the gym, then walk 2 blocks to work by around 8:15 or so.

Now, DH leaves at 5am, hits the gym near his office, and then heads to work so that he can leave at 4 to be home by 5.  I get up at 5:30-5:45 3-4 times a week to work out.  I try to be in the shower by 6:15-6:20, so it's a quick workout, but at least it's something.  The kids get up anywhere from 6:15-7:15, so sometimes I wind up with a good chunk of "me" time.  If not, I get good quality time with the kids when they're in really good moods.

• I started laughing when I saw the title of this post. I'm a wacko morning person. So is DD. We are currently in the wake-up version of an arms race. I wake up earlier and earlier, and so does she! We leave about 7:15-7:30 and are currently getting up at 5:00. I woke up at 4:30 this morning just to have time to do prenatal yoga. And she started stirring at 4:45! Picture Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the football out just before he kicks. So I guess it's back to Mommy and Me yoga.
  • MommyAtty said:
    I started laughing when I saw the title of this post. I'm a wacko morning person. So is DD. We are currently in the wake-up version of an arms race. I wake up earlier and earlier, and so does she! We leave about 7:15-7:30 and are currently getting up at 5:00. I woke up at 4:30 this morning just to have time to do prenatal yoga. And she started stirring at 4:45! Picture Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the football out just before he kicks. So I guess it's back to Mommy and Me yoga.
    I am laughing so hard at this, because my DD2 (10 months) started this for a while.  The second I'd set foot on the treadmill, she'd wake up.  I would actually talk to the monitor, saying, "Come on!  Just give me 20 mins for a run!"

I told my DH that she learned to talk, and her first phrase was, "Mommy, I wrecked your body, and I'm going to keep it that way!"
  • VORVOR member
    Nope.  I'm not a morning person.  My "me" time in the morning is staying in bed as long as possible.  Sometimes turning the TV on to catch the news.  But that's it.  I stay in as long as I absolutely can.

Evenings are a lot better for me!  DS is usually in bed by 8, so I get an hour or two (or 3 if I know I don't have to get UP early the next day) of "me" time then.

And he's now old enough that I can usually squeeze in my workout in the early evening - while he's playing or eating dinner.
  • This is one of the reasons that I ride the bus- it's my Me time. I can read or look at the internet or stare out the window and usually no one bothers me. Then I also get a nice 5 minute walk from the bus stop to the office that wakes me up (especially if I stop at Starbucks).

It's a lot better when it's not negative thirty degrees though.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• I get up at 4:50 on work days and drink my coffee and play on my phone for 5-10min before waking LO to nurse. On my days off, if I find I feel better about the day if I do some sewing, play on the internet, have breakfast, lounge, etc. after LO goes down for a nap instead of taking a nap myself. Although some days I really need it!

• I try very hard to do this. Unfortunately my boys end up waking up most of the time. They are very light sleepers and wake as I am moving around in the kitchen. I have always loved my me time in the mornings. My days just go better if I can get woke up before I have to wait on others.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use to be a early riser, however now that I work until 11pm and hardly ever get to bed before midnight, it's just not feasible for me anymore.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No, but I get up earlier to do chores around the house - laundry, cleaning, dishes, packing for daycare.  And by earlier I mean 3 or 4 am so maybe that kind of qualifies as middle of the night?  "Me time" is when I decide having fun is more important than going to sleep at night.
  • I'm a night person and DH is a morning person so I do at least one hour "me" time at night after everyone goes to sleep and he gets his in the morning before everyone else wakes up. I use my time to read, blog, clean, pray, or whatever my heart desires. It has worked well for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"