April 2013 Moms

No consonants

Hello - I know I posted about this before but I was trying to remember who else was in the same boat as me (LO not saying consonants).  Was it @farmerpinky?  If someone remembers can they tag them?  From what I recall you were still waiting for your 9  month appt and you were going to talk to the pediatrician at that point...just wondering what they said and if LO has started using them at all?  Sorry I tried to use the search tool and no luck.  
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: No consonants

• I am not the one you are thinking of but I am in the same boat. I actually wanted to post about it the day I saw your post... But then life happened and I didn't have time to jump on and participate. My LO squeals and makes sounds but does not "babble" or say words. My 9 month apt is Thursday & I plan on discussing it. I am trying to stay with the thought each baby is different & it will come but I am starting to get concerned :/
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Would you mind letting me know what your pediatrician says?  Mine wasn't concerned but G will be 10 months tomorrow and still nothing... I know all babies are different...blah, blah:)  Just interested in other perspectives.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Will do. Let's get these babies talking!
  • At our appt last month the doc was only mildly concerned. She babbles tons and has some consanents but no mama or dada or the like. All gibberish.  He said according to charts, it was mildly concerning however it is a grey area. He said, he did not start speaking until age 3 and he is fine.  He suggested I read to her more and speak to her alot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• This sounds like me! Maisie is 9 months on Saturday. She babbles, but not that much and no consonants really. I'm sorta concerned, but we will ask the doc on Monday when we go. She has said the D sound and M sound once or twice, but doesn't really use them. Hopefully it's just that every baby is different.
  • T is an April 2nd baby, so we have had his 9 month already. He was saying no consonants and no real babbling at all at that time and my pedi wasn't really concerned.  He was crawling already, and she said it is hard for them to learn 2 big skills at the same time. He also wasn't clapping or waving. She asked if he responded to his name (which he does) and if he got excited when we came in the room or engaged in conversation with him (which he does), so she thought there wasn't any real cause for alarm. 
     Since then (with-in the past week and a half) he as started babbling more. He now says "Ah-Da, Ah-Da" often and a few times I have heard an N or M sound. I can also hear him trying some more throaty gargling or "g" type sounds.  He still doesn't have any times where his sounds have any meaning (Mama or da-da), but we are moving in the right direction. He still doesn't wave and I "think" I have seen some claps, but they are few and far between.  

• @bellabean76

We had our 9 month appointment today I addressed my concern of the lack of babbling.  The doctor then asked me the following questions about DD: if DD responds to her name, if DD squeals and screams, if when DD squeals if her voice tone fluctuates (vs monotone), if DD ever tries to imitate words I say.

All of those were a yes (with a kind of on imitating words, my DD doesn't "talk" but she does sort of say Hi sometimes).  The Dr explained there are two parts of learning to speak hearing and understanding and then speaking it.  With all those previous questions being a yes, the dr is not concerned at this time.  She told me to talk to DD a lot and always narrate what I am doing (which I do already).  So as long as she acknowledges her name and continues to grunt and interact with me I am going to give it more time.
  • @toaoshesha thanks for getting back to me. Literally in the past 48 hours she has started making a "ka" sound like a hard c or a k. Still no mama ur dada but I figure at least it's something. She does respond to her name, shriek, and clicks her tongue...so I guess it's something. After all this worrying I'm going to have a party when she starts saying some words;) thx again...nice to hear others peds aren't concerned. Happy weekend!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"